Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47   #1
Junior Member+

Gym

HI, I'm hoping to get to the gym this week but would like to know the best options, taking into consideration im a student with very little money i was thinking of enrolling on the Sports centre evolution £18.50 a month but am a little worried that im going to stop going after my holiday. The problem with doing the pay as you go is that it is £4.50 a time but i am hoping to go three times a week so this could prove costly!!!

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers
whittle1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2006, 11:41   #2

I just wish you could just join for a few months but they all seem to want a full years subscription. They make their money with the people who give up, or cannot keep up the 3 sessions a week to make it worthwhile for you.

At the moment if you join Sportlife nr the Globe centre its £14.50 per month if you join with a freind, Thats £174.00 per year compared to £222.00 at the sports centre.

I found it much better at Sportlife as there are showers and a sauna in the changing rooms, this is a lot less hastle than the sports centre.

But if your like me and don't like giving your money away, I would suggest that you go twice a week to the sports centre and go for a run or bike ride for your third session, especaily now that we are just starting to get lighter nights.

Oh and another thing I also tried not drinking any alcohol from Monday to Fri tea time and lost 9 pounds in weight in thee weeks. Now I don't mind giving those sort of pounds away!!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 19:13   #3

Re: Gym

The old bank in oswaldtwistle is a gym and its meantn to be good value for money. Think its only £2.75 ich my mum went on monday and im meant to be going with her tomorrow if I can be bothered.
Old 07-02-2006, 20:24   #4

There are spit and sawdust places like Muscle Mania on Victoria Road that costs £2.50 a session or £7 for a week or £21 a month. I went there twice a week over about 5 months. At least you're not paying if you miss going for a spell.

Each gym has its pitfalls. At Hyndburn there's no barbells except for a Smith's machine; at the Globe I think they have no free-weights at all; at Muscle Mania there's no aerobic machines. At least Muscle Mania don't charge an induction fee.
Old 07-02-2006, 20:52   #5
God Member

I read once that gym's build into their business budgets the fact that most people give up going after the first month. They charge 12 months subscription but you only use one month of it.

The one in Ossy is a pay as you go - and fairly cheap. I've been in (not to actually exercise you understand - even though I should) and it's a smart, clean place - would recommend it. It always seems quite popular so must be doing ok.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 17:57   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

get a dvd instead, alot cheaper and in the comfort of your own home
Old 10-02-2006, 18:18   #7
Junior Member+

The sportslife gym is really good, clean and the machines are quite up to date, and they are doing a special offer at the moment!
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 13:19   #8
Senior Member+

has anyone been to any of the jjb gyms?

i'm thinkin of joinin up with the one in blackburn near hte cinema

if ur lookin to bulk up i think the muscle mania gym is fantastic for pumpin up but real lame for cardio activities
Old 26-08-2007, 18:59   #9

I've just moved so i havent got my gym installed in my house yet

so i was thinkin about going to hyndburn gym till i get it sorted

anyone know how much it is?

thanks
JJSmiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 21:42   #10
Accy Goddess

A skipping rope, a couple of plastic bottles filled with sand or water. a broom handle, some music and hey presto one cheap home made gym.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 21:46   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
A skipping rope, a couple of plastic bottles filled with sand or water. a broom handle, some music and hey presto one cheap home made gym.
After reading the prices on here I tend to agree with you. Some people have no imagination!!
Old 16-10-2008, 17:59   #12
Junior Member+

hi
bargains4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 10:09   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargains4u View Post
hi
This one has had me scatching my head
Old 17-10-2008, 10:12   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
This one has had me scatching my head
Well of course Jaysay.... he's saying hi to "Gym"

Get with it
Old 18-10-2008, 09:15   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Hello Gym and welcome to AccyWeb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..