Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2011, 21:17   #31
Junior Member+

Re: 114 Abbey Street

I think we are now close to establishing when Walton's was established. I understand that Joseph Harrison, also a photographer, was at 114 Abbey St from 1901 - 1921.
Does Harrison disappear and Walton appear in Tel Directory in 1922 at 114 Abbey St? I wonder - perhaps he took over Harrison's business??? Do tel directories or adverts say Tom (or Thomas) Walton or just 'Walton'?

Last edited by Ravenshaw; 25-07-2011 at 21:20.
Ravenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2011, 08:51   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
Thanks Jeff, it's good to put a date to the advert - can you get any closer than "the 1920s"? I am trying to find out when he became a photographer, and I know that in the 1911 census he was a textile machine fitter (I think at Howard & Bullough's).
The advert is dated 1920
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 15:12   #33
Junior Member+

Dear 'Retlaw': I see from another forum that you were a pattern maker at Langbridges (was its 'Sunday best' name Lang Bridge & Co Ltd?).

The camera this discussion thread is all about, the 'Walton Commercial Camera' has a cast lens panel. I have been told by a Walton family member who saw the camera in the 1940/50s, that the casting was done at Langbridges around 1935. I now have the wooden patterns, and they are in a sort of wooden tray/crate with "Tom Walton, Accrington" written in pencil along two sides.

Does that ring any bells?

Last edited by Ravenshaw; 27-10-2011 at 15:14.
Old 27-10-2011, 18:25   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Dear 'Retlaw': I see from another forum that you were a pattern maker at Langbridges (was its 'Sunday best' name Lang Bridge & Co Ltd?).

The camera this discussion thread is all about, the 'Walton Commercial Camera' has a cast lens panel. I have been told by a Walton family member who saw the camera in the 1940/50s, that the casting was done at Langbridges around 1935. I now have the wooden patterns, and they are in a sort of wooden tray/crate with "Tom Walton, Accrington" written in pencil along two sides.

Does that ring any bells?
I didn't start at Langs until 1945, never saw any patterns like that, things like camera mounts & panels would have been cast in aluminiun.
More likely Langs made the patterns for Walton, & the castings were done elsewhere, can't say I ever saw aluminium being cast at Langs, cast iron, brass, & bronze yes, but aluminium new one on me.
If the casting was done else where thats probably why the patterns have survived.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 18:31   #35
Senior Member+

In 1931 Mr T Walton presented a shield to the Accrington Camera Club to be presented annually for snapshot competitions. It ws hoped it would stand as a lasting tribute to the Walton family.
Wonder if it still exists?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 19:18   #36
Senior Member+

FAO Ravenshaw -
In this weeks Observer (page 7) it tells about a display of images by local photographers, held at The Haworth Art Gallery. It also mentions that on display, in some of the glass stands, is the historic WALTON SHIELD, one of the town's top awards, and a collection of cameras through the years. (exhibition, during gallery hours, is on until July 22nd)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:13   #37
Resting in Peace

Know is slightly off-thread, but this is a picture of the Accrington Camera Club in 1920.

My grandad was the one on the 3rd row up, far right. Suspected he took this shot on a timer, have one or two with him leaning slightly inward where he hasn't had time to stand up straight.

Just wondered if the gentlemen mentioned above were on this photograph, don't suppose anyone would know, I suppose.

File.jpg

Click to enlarge.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 20:32   #38
Junior Member+

Thanks for letting me know about the shield. Although I don't think I'll be able to get over to see it I will ask a friend to pop in and photograph it for my project. I do see on the Accrington Camera Club website that the Walton Shield is awarded annually for "... Best Mono Print from any class" (Accrington Camera Club: Annual Competition)
Old 26-06-2012, 20:49   #39
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Know is slightly off-thread, but this is a picture of the Accrington Camera Club in 1920.

My grandad was the one on the 3rd row up, far right. Suspected he took this shot on a timer, have one or two with him leaning slightly inward where he hasn't had time to stand up straight.

Just wondered if the gentlemen mentioned above were on this photograph, don't suppose anyone would know, I suppose.

Attachment 21087

Click to enlarge.
This is very interesting and I think their is a good chance that the man 3rd from the left on the back row, with the big moustache, is Tom Walton. I could ask two of Tom's relatives if you were willing to send me the photo by email? Neither knew him in the 1920s, but they do have photos they could compare.
Old 26-06-2012, 21:37   #40
Senior Member+

Ravenshaw. Bear in mind please to let the library have copies of these photos
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 11:25   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This is very interesting and I think their is a good chance that the man 3rd from the left on the back row, with the big moustache, is Tom Walton. I could ask two of Tom's relatives if you were willing to send me the photo by email? Neither knew him in the 1920s, but they do have photos they could compare.
Of course I will, my pleasure.
P.M. me your E-mail details and it will be on its way.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 11:55   #42
Beacon of light

I used to visit Mr Walton in the mid fifties(my dad was an amateur photographer and bought all his supplies from the shop)......by that time the Mr Walton I knew had a fine head of white hair and glasses....and I never knew his first name...he was always Mr Walton to me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abbey street, lanbridges, lang bridge & co ltd, photography, walton

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..