Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2012, 10:42   #1
Resting In Peace

Drinking straws

This question was brought to mind when I heard someone ask the other day where he could buy drinking straws. I reflected that nowadays, like everything else, they are made of plastic and often come with a bendy bit in the middle so that you can sip your drink at a comfortable angle. And you can also pick them up in handfuls off the counter at Wetherspoons and other establishments, should you so wish.

Do you remember when straws were made out of wax paper glued together in spirals? And how the bottom bit started to unwind if you left it in the drink for too long? and how the top bit in your mouth would go flat if you sucked too hard and kept it in your mouth too long till it went soggy?

And do you remember having your school milk in a third pint bottle with a foil cap through which you had to put the straw? And the metal crate the bottles came in?

What memories were evoked when I heard someone ask a simple question about shopping!
Old 18-07-2012, 11:10   #2
God Member

Re: Drinking straws

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
This question was brought to mind when I heard someone ask the other day where he could buy drinking straws. I reflected that nowadays, like everything else, they are made of plastic and often come with a bendy bit in the middle so that you can sip your drink at a comfortable angle. And you can also pick them up in handfuls off the counter at Wetherspoons and other establishments, should you so wish.

Do you remember when straws were made out of wax paper glued together in spirals? And how the bottom bit started to unwind if you left it in the drink for too long? and how the top bit in your mouth would go flat if you sucked too hard and kept it in your mouth too long till it went soggy?

And do you remember having your school milk in a third pint bottle with a foil cap through which you had to put the straw? And the metal crate the bottles came in?

What memories were evoked when I heard someone ask a simple question about shopping!
How could anyone forget -we also got proper orange juice at school on special days in place of the milk. Those were the days -milk monitors who changed weekly! it was a great honour...

Mum used to send me and sister Denise across to Enfield CC when they were playing at home during the summer to get us out of her hair - dad used to be there all day watching -the incentive was that he'd buy us a bottle of pop (+ straw as you describe) and a packet of crisps!

Do you remember the Humphrey ads of the seventies Sue?

Watch out there's a Humphrey about!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 11:46   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
How could anyone forget -we also got proper orange juice at school on special days in place of the milk. Those were the days -milk monitors who changed weekly! it was a great honour...

Mum used to send me and sister Denise across to Enfield CC when they were playing at home during the summer to get us out of her hair - dad used to be there all day watching -the incentive was that he'd buy us a bottle of pop (+ straw as you describe) and a packet of crisps!

Watch out there's a Humphrey about!
No Dianne the seventies was virtually a television-free period for me, not a bad thing seeing what was on offer mostly I think!

I was otherwise engaged
a) being a student then getting my first job and having a busy social life
b) working in USA for a year
c) living in a bedsit in London with no telly
d) meeting Richard and doing other things with him
e) buying our first house and doing it up

Saw most TV in America, mostly watched the public broadcasting channel so saw quite a bit of BBC drama!
Old 18-07-2012, 15:28   #4
Rest in Peace

Quote:
No Dianne the seventies was virtually a television-free period for me, not a bad thing seeing what was on offer mostly I think!

I was otherwise engaged
a) being a student then getting my first job and having a busy social life
b) working in USA for a year
c) living in a bedsit in London with no telly
d) meeting Richard and doing other things with him
e) buying our first house and doing it up

Saw most TV in America, mostly watched the public broadcasting channel so saw quite a bit of BBC drama!
I can remember the cardboard circles which went in the top of the school milk bottles wih the hole in the middle which you pushed in to take the straw,then you could wind wool around them afterwards and make pom-poms
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 16:22   #5
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I can remember the cardboard circles which went in the top of the school milk bottles wih the hole in the middle which you pushed in to take the straw,then you could wind wool around them afterwards and make pom-poms
So can I.......that makes us antiques.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 16:52   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Don't remember those - we always had tinfoil tops - might have been a different dairy.
Old 18-07-2012, 17:11   #7
Full Member+

[quote=mobertol;1003301]How could anyone forget -we also got proper orange juice at school on special days in place of the milk. Those were the days -milk monitors who changed weekly! it was a great honour...

I remember the Humphrey's, they were on at about the same time as Buzby the BT bird.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 17:28   #8
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That,s good of you Margaret. Obviously Susie went to a more upmarket school than us. Come on "silver tin foil tops" I ask ya?
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 17:30   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
That,s good of you Margaret. Obviously Susie went to a more upmarket school than us. Come on "silver tin foil tops" I ask ya?
Don't even remember having milk at my primary school, which was private. I'm talking about what we got at the high school.
Old 18-07-2012, 17:41   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't even remember having milk at my primary school, which was private. I'm talking about what we got at the high school.
We are talking about milk here arn't we susie
Old 18-07-2012, 17:41   #11
God Member

Quote:
Don't know about "upmarket" but at All Sinners we had tin foil tops. And the cream used to be at the top. And in winter, the sparrows would peck holes in the tinfoil
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 17:53   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Don't know about "upmarket" but at All Sinners we had tin foil tops. And the cream used to be at the top. And in winter, the sparrows would peck holes in the tinfoil
Yuck! I hated the cream - still do! Remember the sparrow holes too.
Old 18-07-2012, 17:54   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We are talking about milk here arn't we susie
John really... what do you mean??
Old 18-07-2012, 22:43   #14

I can clearly remember the waxed paper drinking straws looking like stripey spirals. I remember school milk with the foil caps very well, at both Hippings Methodist and the High School. I hated milk at school because it was lukewarm. At the High School the janitor used to bring a crate round to each classroom and put it next to the radiator. When I started at Hippings Methodist in 1953 we used to get milk, plus that thick clinic orange juice and a big spoonful of cod liver oil. I suppose we were the post-war generation and had to be built up to become nice and healthy. We never knew what rationing was, fortunately, although I know it didn't completely end officially until the early 1950s. I've heard about kids who grew up during the war who never saw a banana until the war was over and they reappeared in the shops. We were the lucky ones!
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 23:42   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I can clearly remember the waxed paper drinking straws looking like stripey spirals. I remember school milk with the foil caps very well, at both Hippings Methodist and the High School. I hated milk at school because it was lukewarm. At the High School the janitor used to bring a crate round to each classroom and put it next to the radiator. When I started at Hippings Methodist in 1953 we used to get milk, plus that thick clinic orange juice and a big spoonful of cod liver oil. I suppose we were the post-war generation and had to be built up to become nice and healthy. We never knew what rationing was, fortunately, although I know it didn't completely end officially until the early 1950s. I've heard about kids who grew up during the war who never saw a banana until the war was over and they reappeared in the shops. We were the lucky ones!
My dad told me the same -never saw a banana or an orange till after the war. The eggs were powdered apparently.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..