Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2012, 12:21   #451
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The bandits in the Elite snooker hall paid out threepeny bits *chuckle*
Yep 999 was the jackpot on em when Bert @ Roland the one eyed slave were behind the counter.
Old 05-11-2012, 14:20   #452

Are there any pubs in Accy that still have barmaids over 12 years old??? Barstaff used to be so much more friendly back then!! Then being not now and back in the 60s and 70s, happy daze!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 14:34   #453
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Our watering hole the "Railway" has barmaids, who in fairness those ive seen are friendly. or perhaps they know not to antagonise the you know whos.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57   #454
Senior Member+

summer of 85, i was 14, dad had just died and i had a saturday job at one of scrap yards in Altham, walking home i wanted to use the phonebox outside the greyhound, it was bust, so nipped in the pub, covered in oil n muck to ask to use phone, "having a drink while yer ere?", a nervous "yes" later i had my first pint that i had walked in and boughtt myself, over the weeks became a regular, in work clothes, then when they knew me "in civvies" me and a mate would go in play pool, couple of pints, and was on absolute best behaviour, we caused no hassle not like some of the legal drinkers.

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 15:16   #455

What pub did you start Christmas Eve in and which do you pass out in later? Broadway (both) early 70's mind!
Old 08-12-2012, 19:16   #456
God Member

Christmas Eve (& most other nights out tbh) started in the Regency & ended up either in there or in Bees Knees - that was in late 70's
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:05   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would that be the lass that was goin wi "Ben Anderson" who was a rovers player? P.S. ya didn't play in that Pre- season darts friendly against the Big Crown did ya? was like Gunfight at OK Corral that night.
The Rovers player was actually PETER DOBING who went on to play for Stoke City
Old 08-12-2012, 21:22   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You should get one of those tea shirts printed, I drank with Johnny Walker and lived to tell the tale.
Johnny Walker didn't drink, more like POURED it down his neck.
He was a great bloke.
Old 08-12-2012, 21:43   #459
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
The Rovers player was actually PETER DOBING who went on to play for Stoke City
Yeh remember the best forward line Rovers ever had including the one in 90s, Twas Douglas,Dobing,Dougan,Vernon, Macleod, But am near sure there was another Rovers player later that was going wi daughter in junction?
Old 26-01-2013, 14:50   #460

Anyone know the longest that a landlord has been at the same pub Under new managment seems to be the norm!
Old 26-01-2013, 15:07   #461
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Anyone know the longest that a landlord has been at the same pub Under new managment seems to be the norm!
They don't stay long these days
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:17   #462
I am Banned

roland rathbone at the lomax in great harwood was there for years,not sure about any in accy maybe ray linacre from the hope and anchor,he was there for about 7 years.
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 06:40   #463

Himself tells me he started his downhill slide when he was about 15 – no ID required. He can’t remember name of pub, not sure if this is due to age (current age that is) or the effects of the liquid amber at the time. Somewhere round Cannon Street opposite the Ritz Ballroom, as was. From there he graduated to the Con Club Bar. Since then has continued spiralling downwards and has imbibed in many pubs, many places, including Outback Australia. Now THAT’S an experience!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 07:22   #464
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Himself tells me he started his downhill slide when he was about 15 – no ID required. He can’t remember name of pub, not sure if this is due to age (current age that is) or the effects of the liquid amber at the time. Somewhere round Cannon Street opposite the Ritz Ballroom, as was. From there he graduated to the Con Club Bar. Since then has continued spiralling downwards and has imbibed in many pubs, many places, including Outback Australia. Now THAT’S an experience!
Think that pub would be the "Little Crown" dotti? a masseys house long gone.
Old 31-01-2013, 08:01   #465

Spot on Cashman!!! Many thanks. Himself says that was definitely it.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..