Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2013, 13:54   #541
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I always thought a schooner was a large sherry glass. Never heard the term used for what I would call a straight pint glass.

Oh dear I'm getting thirsty!
Yeh been away too long susie, always been called schooners around here, never liked em meself.
Old 28-06-2013, 17:00   #542
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I always thought a schooner was a large sherry glass. Never heard the term used for what I would call a straight pint glass.

Oh dear I'm getting thirsty!
I always used to use a barrel when I started drinking back in nineteencanteen, but always use a schooner now, even at home
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 18:15   #543
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Schooners, Barrels, Straight glass, piffle, blag a Stein (1 ltr) you lightweights!
Old 29-06-2013, 09:02   #544
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Schooners, Barrels, Straight glass, piffle, blag a Stein (1 ltr) you lightweights!
Use to have one Dave, but when I started filling my glass just as many times in a night, I thought I might be getting a drinking problem so I reverted back to a pint
Old 29-06-2013, 09:18   #545
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Use to have one Dave, but when I started filling my glass just as many times in a night, I thought I might be getting a drinking problem so I reverted back to a pint
Yeh but they need big glasses oer yon, it helps forget.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:49   #546
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh but they need big glasses oer yon, it helps forget.
Actually Cashy, it makes them more bearable!
Old 30-06-2013, 08:48   #547
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Actually Cashy, it makes them more bearable!
Wrong Dave it makes outsiders more bearable
Old 30-06-2013, 11:11   #548
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Wrong Dave it makes outsiders more bearable
Let's face it, Ale makes lots of things more bearable.
Old 30-06-2013, 14:40   #549
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Let's face it, Ale makes lots of things more bearable.
Got to agree, I think though, the only thing it doesn't make bearable is bad ale.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 17:39   #550
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Got to agree, I think though, the only thing it doesn't make bearable is bad ale.
Well I was always fotched up to believing there are no bad ales Less, some are better than others though
Old 27-09-2013, 23:28   #551

Anybody try the old having a drink in every pub from the Railway to the Commercial in Church? I don't think I ever got past the bottom of Willows Lane! Any idea how many pubs there were at it's peak?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 06:53   #552
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Anybody try the old having a drink in every pub from the Railway to the Commercial in Church? I don't think I ever got past the bottom of Willows Lane! Any idea how many pubs there were at it's peak?
Easy done it a few times from Commercial to Commercial. until me or the mate got banned from some. in my time after Willows Lane was only Miners/Hyndburn/ Antley/Oak Tree. then yeh were at the Comic in Church.
Old 28-09-2013, 07:12   #553
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The hard leg was Church Commercial To Black Dog Ossy, many more pubs on that un n never managed a pint in each. Was only 7 as i recall from Railway to Willows lane. Sorry 8 i forgot the A.E.U.

Last edited by cashman; 28-09-2013 at 07:16.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:24   #554
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The hard leg was Church Commercial To Black Dog Ossy, many more pubs on that un n never managed a pint in each. Was only 7 as i recall from Railway to Willows lane. Sorry 8 i forgot the A.E.U.
Tried on many occasion to do a pub crawl from many places in Acc, Church, Ossy, Clayton. Never managed to complete any of them. I would start at the Globe and Royal at bottom of Scaitcliffe st and got as far as Willows lane, but had to make my way home to Crown st because I was to wrecked to continue.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 09:56   #555
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Tried on many occasion to do a pub crawl from many places in Acc, Church, Ossy, Clayton. Never managed to complete any of them. I would start at the Globe and Royal at bottom of Scaitcliffe st and got as far as Willows lane, but had to make my way home to Crown st because I was to wrecked to continue.
Yeh Mog, but the idea was have a pint in each,not a gallon.
Mog likes this.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..