Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 18:51   #406

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTrev View Post
Hiya Jim, this photo is the one that the Telegraph took and used in the paper when we played the Cavern, they put Dave's head-shot in the middle of the photo,it's below the Cavern coach photo's I put on this site,good to see the actual real photo -much sharper than my newspaper version. The Treadwheel's drummer was Ray Omerod he used to be well in-to cycle -racing if I remember rightly,I've seen him a few times around Accy and nodded to him but I don't think he reconise's me. Roy Taylor was the singer had'nt seen him for years but bumped into him in Asda a few months ago, he had'nt changed, we had a good natter.The bass layer John Wyora emigrated in the 60's to Canada I think,Tony Bolton was the guitarist he live's in the Isle of Man. Trev.
I forgot to mention, I thought Ray was quite good, not as good (to me) as Steve Farnsworth, Kevin Florentine or Alan Bradshaw but good enough back then.Jim.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2010, 19:14   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Roy Taylors still up Bash James, worked wi him oer 20 yrs,only see him occasionally these days, used to give him stick at work, fer going to Wimbledon fer annual hols every year, never stopped him though.
Thanks cashy, what did Ray do for a living? (apart from drumming).Jim.
Old 04-09-2010, 19:36   #408

Jim been meaning to ask you before what drums you using now
ShadowTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 21:50   #409
Junior Member+

Hi Trevor / Jim
I could not believe what I have seen on this site tonight, the memories and emotions those pictures brought back. It would be great to get in touch again. Susie and I live in Scotland now near Kyle of Lochalsh where the skye bridge is situated. I still have that Vox AC30 and the Verithin, could never part with them now.

Ian Smith
Ian F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 21:52   #410

Hello Ian
Old 04-09-2010, 21:59   #411

Hiya Ian, where have you been? how did you find this site ? Good to hear from you, I'll have to get in touch with Dave Rob I have a contact phone number then we can have a proper Scorchers reunion. Trev.
Old 04-09-2010, 22:30   #412

Hiya Jim, that's a nice surprise seeing Ian contributing is'nt it. Trev
Old 05-09-2010, 00:31   #413

I've just spent a very entertaining hour reading all the posts. Brilliant stuff. I'm just 52, so don't remember any of the bands mentioned, though I'm sure I will have seen many of you play in later incarnations in the 1970's and later. The Kev Florentine that gets a mention a couple of times is my cousin. I saw him a few months ago, but sadly it was at his younger brother's (Michael) funeral.

Rod Hill was working at Blackburn College. I worked there until 2 years ago and I'm sure he was still there then and very probably still is.

In the mid 1970's, I bought an old battered AC30 in Accrington. I possibly bought it from one of you guys on here;-)

Someone mentioned the Regent in Blackburn. I was in there most weekends from the early 70's onwards and remember those brilliant Monday nights (many a Tuesday I never made it to work - too hungover). Forever (as mentioned) were the resident band for a couple of years. Then I think they alternated weeks with a band called Thunderbird Sabden, who I assume possibly came from that area.

We often got over to Accy in the 70's for a night out and also attended some of those summer gigs in Oak Hill Park

I would love to see some of the old 1960's photos, but can't seem to open them. Any tips anyone?

Cheers !
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34   #414

Hiya Blackburnlad, I knew the bass player in Thunderbird, Mervin Goldsworthy he also played in another local band-Streetfighter,they played all Thin Lizzy songs one of their guitarists was John Sykes who joined the last line up of Thin Lizzy. Merv joined a recording band called F.M.very good they were too,saw them at the Apollo Manchester. Trev.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10   #415

Quote:
Jim been meaning to ask you before what drums you using now
Hi Trev, At the moment I'm using a Pearl Masters kit.Two rack toms, 10" and 12", two floor toms, 16" and 18", 22" bass drum and two snare drums, a Ludwig Supersensitive, and a Pearl Masters maple, which is 5" deep.I love the sound of a metal snare drum, but I also like the warmer sound of a wooden (maple) snare.My cymbal set up is almost the same as Vinnie Colaiuta used at the Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts gig, all Zildjian, A's and K's.Cheers, Jim.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:21   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian F Smith View Post
Hi Trevor / Jim
I could not believe what I have seen on this site tonight, the memories and emotions those pictures brought back. It would be great to get in touch again. Susie and I live in Scotland now near Kyle of Lochalsh where the skye bridge is situated. I still have that Vox AC30 and the Verithin, could never part with them now.

Ian Smith
Hello Ian, It's been a while, over 40 years? Glad that you liked all the photos', newspaper clippings etc.I'll bet they brought some memories back.Trevor is knocked out to hear from you.I can't really remember the last time I saw you.I think you came up to Downham Drive once, when I came up to see my parents, I think I was playing with Accrington Stanley at the time, so that would be around 1970.Cheers, Jim.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25   #417
Junior Member+

Hi Jim

Always a man for having the best kit, a long way from using your ruler on the desk at Accy Tech. Good to hear you are fit and well and living in Surrey. The pictures outside the Cavern blew me away, I had completely forgotten about the coach trip that day.

Regards
Ian
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26   #418

Quote:
Hiya Jim, that's a nice surprise seeing Ian contributing is'nt it. Trev
Hello Trevor, That really was a surprise, it's been well over 40 years since I saw Ian.I'll bet you got a shock! Cheers, Jim.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian F Smith View Post
Hi Jim

Always a man for having the best kit, a long way from using your ruler on the desk at Accy Tech. Good to hear you are fit and well and living in Surrey. The pictures outside the Cavern blew me away, I had completely forgotten about the coach trip that day.

Regards
Ian
Hi Ian, I had also forgotten about most of that day.Trevor has a damn good memory.He also sent me some great pics of me and Derek, playing at a Miss England contest at Blackburn Mecca, circa 1965, All the best, Jim.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35   #420
Junior Member+

Hi Jim
Looks like we were typing at the same time. I remember running in to you briefly on the Kings Road in Chelsea during a visit to London around 71/72. I still have pictures and cuttings myself, even the "Scorchers" drum logo I had made at work for your base drum.

Cheers Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..