Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DtheP47

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2013, 19:51   #1

English Electric

I was really pleased to find the now old discussion on English Electric.My Dad was William[Bill] McCaughey[Jock] and was on inspection on Aircraft.He came up from Bristol around 1943 and we lived at 10 High street where I was born,then we moved to Hicks Terrace.My brother also trained there as an electrician[Ken]My Mum Dad and sister Sadie emigrated to Australia in 1962.Dad was originally from Glasgow.
The highlight of our year was the works Christmas partys which were marvellous.
Very Happy Days.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2013, 11:15   #2

Re: English Electric

I remember my mother saying she worked at Bristol aircraft during ww2.her name was evelyn keenan, she was a good singer and dancer in her day,is thet the same place, anyone remember her.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 13:38   #3
Rest in Peace

I had a uncle called Tom Parsons lived in Talbot Ave, he died in 2002. I called on him once or twice a week, he used to say to me can you hear that noise they are testing the engines down at English Electric. I could understand as he was 97.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 14:55   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I had a uncle called Tom Parsons lived in Talbot Ave, he died in 2002. I called on him once or twice a week, he used to say to me can you hear that noise they are testing the engines down at English Electric. I could understand as he was 97.
There were indeed engine test beds down at EE, where the caravan storage area is now.
I served my time there from 1963 but they were derelict even then.

Ron Freethy's book "Memories of the Lancashire Aircraft Industry" may make mention of what engines were tested there and when.
Jim Longworth also published a book on the same subject, can't recall the title?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 15:19   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
My father started at the Bristol Aero Engine Factory in Clayton in 1939 as a Tool Setter.
The engines tested at that factory were Bristol Radial Engines, every engine manufactured their during the war, had to be tested, before it left the factory.
Some years ago I saw sereral Bristol Radial Engines in a musem in Edinburg, some had cut away sections to show how they worked.
English Electric did not take over that factory until after the war, and those engines were no longer needed.

Last edited by Retlaw; 14-08-2013 at 15:21.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 15:47   #6
I am Banned

a cut and paste job here:
Lancashire County Council published a booklet called;

'Classic and Modern Aero-Engines associated with Lancashire and the North West of England'

This booklet covers a wider geographic range than this site should permit. It starts by relating to Alliott Verdon Roe who built a factory specifically for manufacturing aircraft in 1910 in Manchester. The booklet states this was the first aircraft specific factory in the world. Engines for his aircraft were built in Bolton by two brothers called Edwards who submitted a patent for an engine with 2 horizontally opposed cylinders developing 15hp. Engine power developed to 300hp by the end of the First World War.

Activity continued with a new factory in Lostock north of Bolton which was built as a 'shadow' factory for the de Havilland Airscrew Company to increase production for the Second World War. Many thousand propellors were built in the Lostock factory which continues today as a missile factory.

Also in 1939 a new factory at Clayton le Moors, Accrington, was built as a 'shadow' factory for Bristol Aeroplane Company Hercules engines which developed 1725hp. In addition an engine equipment factory was built around the same time very close-by.

The Base Air Depot No.2 at Warton near Preston overhauled and repaired engines for the US Air Force throughout the war.

East Lancashire became a hotspot for engine shadow factories with both Lucas and Rover taking over former cotton mills. Barnoldswick worked on the W2 Jet Engine being built by Rover from Whittles design. In 1943 it was agreed that Rolls Royce would take over the Rover factories and produced the RB23 Welland jet engine. The first engine designed and built at Barnoldswick was the RB41 Nene engine from 1944. Also the RB65 Avon was designed at Barnoldswick. Since then the work has changed to providing parts for engines such as fan blades. The workforce was around 10,000 at both factories until about 30years ago when it started to decrease and is about 2000 now. Barnoldswick holds a special place in Rolls Royce terminology with the 'B' in RB meaning Rolls Royce Barnoldswick.

The north-west also has Metropolitan-Vickers of Manchester with their axial flow engines, Sapphire, Beryl and Freda jet engines. Also Napiers of Liverpool with their 3500hp engine.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 14-08-2013, 15:48   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
My father started at the Bristol Aero Engine Factory in Clayton in 1939 as a Tool Setter.
The engines tested at that factory were Bristol Radial Engines, every engine manufactured their during the war, had to be tested, before it left the factory.
Some years ago I saw sereral Bristol Radial Engines in a musem in Edinburg, some had cut away sections to show how they worked.
English Electric did not take over that factory until after the war, and those engines were no longer needed.
I don't think there were any radial engines used post war, by that time RR were producing the Griffon (the successor to the Merlin), and were transitioning into jet engines which I think were built in Derby.

There was a cutaway radial at the RAF College which you could turn over by a hand crank - quite impressive.
Old 14-08-2013, 15:51   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
a cut and paste job here:
Lancashire County Council published a booklet called;

'Classic and Modern Aero-Engines associated with Lancashire and the North West of England'

This booklet covers a wider geographic range than this site should permit. It starts by relating to Alliott Verdon Roe who built a factory specifically for manufacturing aircraft in 1910 in Manchester. The booklet states this was the first aircraft specific factory in the world. Engines for his aircraft were built in Bolton by two brothers called Edwards who submitted a patent for an engine with 2 horizontally opposed cylinders developing 15hp. Engine power developed to 300hp by the end of the First World War.

Activity continued with a new factory in Lostock north of Bolton which was built as a 'shadow' factory for the de Havilland Airscrew Company to increase production for the Second World War. Many thousand propellors were built in the Lostock factory which continues today as a missile factory.

Also in 1939 a new factory at Clayton le Moors, Accrington, was built as a 'shadow' factory for Bristol Aeroplane Company Hercules engines which developed 1725hp. In addition an engine equipment factory was built around the same time very close-by.

The Base Air Depot No.2 at Warton near Preston overhauled and repaired engines for the US Air Force throughout the war.

East Lancashire became a hotspot for engine shadow factories with both Lucas and Rover taking over former cotton mills. Barnoldswick worked on the W2 Jet Engine being built by Rover from Whittles design. In 1943 it was agreed that Rolls Royce would take over the Rover factories and produced the RB23 Welland jet engine. The first engine designed and built at Barnoldswick was the RB41 Nene engine from 1944. Also the RB65 Avon was designed at Barnoldswick. Since then the work has changed to providing parts for engines such as fan blades. The workforce was around 10,000 at both factories until about 30years ago when it started to decrease and is about 2000 now. Barnoldswick holds a special place in Rolls Royce terminology with the 'B' in RB meaning Rolls Royce Barnoldswick.

The north-west also has Metropolitan-Vickers of Manchester with their axial flow engines, Sapphire, Beryl and Freda jet engines. Also Napiers of Liverpool with their 3500hp engine.
Great detailed information, Thank you
Old 14-08-2013, 15:59   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I don't think there were any radial engines used post war, by that time RR were producing the Griffon (the successor to the Merlin), and were transitioning into jet engines which I think were built in Derby.

There was a cutaway radial at the RAF College which you could turn over by a hand crank - quite impressive.
Pratt and Witney continued with radial engines post war Barrie. The Boeing 377 Stratocruiser motored along behind four P&W R-4360 Wasp Majors, crossing the oceans at will and with high confidence, if not quite at the flight levels we are accustomed to today. A good many military type aircraft too were built with the large 3-row and 4-row post-war radial engines.
Old 14-08-2013, 17:05   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Pratt and Witney continued with radial engines post war Barrie. The Boeing 377 Stratocruiser motored along behind four P&W R-4360 Wasp Majors, crossing the oceans at will and with high confidence, if not quite at the flight levels we are accustomed to today. A good many military type aircraft too were built with the large 3-row and 4-row post-war radial engines.
Just been on a web site showing Pratt & Whitney engines, there is even a video of a model one running. I think the radial engine is still used on float planes on the lakes in Canada, & USA, don't think jet engines like the spray in a watery enviroment
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 18:28   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Quite true, they were never able to come up with a decent liquid cooled engine , most of their aircraft used radial engines. The P-51, one of the best of them all because of it's range was because they changed the original Allison engine to a Merlin - the same applied to the -P-38 & P-40, although I am not sure that the P-38 was ever re-engined.
Having said that, the radial engines were good and could take more punishment e.g. flak, than a liquid cooled engine.
Old 14-08-2013, 18:38   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Quite true, they were never able to come up with a decent liquid cooled engine , most of their aircraft used radial engines. The P-51, one of the best of them all because of it's range was because they changed the original Allison engine to a Merlin - the same applied to the -P-38 & P-40, although I am not sure that the P-38 was ever re-engined.
Having said that, the radial engines were good and could take more punishment e.g. flak, than a liquid cooled engine.
One place today where you can still see the influence of the radial engine air cooled concept is in the two-cylinder engine of a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
The engine from a Harley can be thought of as two cylinders from a radial engine.

In a Harley, both pistons share a single connection point to the crankshaft, like in a radial.

Last edited by Mick; 15-08-2013 at 05:44. Reason: photo copyright
Old 15-09-2013, 19:46   #13
Junior Member+

My Dad, Joe Conway, also work at the English Electric as an inspector and as we both had the same initials he joined the English Electric fishing club and I use to fish the Calder with his ticket. English Electric were one of the first to acquire fishing rights on the Calder. I also remember going to many Christmas parties and I also applied for an apprenticeship in 1961 but went to Howard & Bullough’s as a apprentice instead.
john conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 12:45   #14
I am Banned

Hi John
I remember your dad well from my apprenticeship days at t'Lectric

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..