Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2011, 16:45   #136
Senior Member+
 

My early life in Accy 1946-68

Hi, what was the family name of your family who worked on the fish markets?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2011, 17:44   #137
Senior Member+
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Does anyone remember Stanton's pop wagon? Sarsaparilla out of a brown jug like bottle....the kind they use in the US for moonshine.....Dandelion and Burdock....supposed to have tonic properties...we just drank it because it was good.
Like Barrie I used to deliver Stantons pop during the summer holidays while I was in the sixth form.
Stanton was a little tubby man, always smartly dressed and no-one was allowed in the upstairs room where he mixed the sarsaparilla and others-he said they were family secrets.
The drivers had Bedford wagons, always beautifully clean and they drove like absolute maniacs-they were on commision and as we sold a lot in Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford etc they had to go over Blubberhouses(no motorways!) and that meant seriously fast driving to get there,sell and get back.
I'm sure we were loaded up and off by seven and didn't get back 'til late at night.We actually ran(so did the drivers) up and down those steep streets to sell as much as possible-those big stone jars got very heavy by evening, especially if you were carrying three or four at once.
We didn't get much pay but I remember finding out how much the drivers made-it was an absolute fortune in the late fifties.
Funnily enough the weather always seemed warm and dry- I don't remember getting soaking wet, just having to drink plenty of free pop.
Who knows, I might have sold some to you and your families!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 29-11-2011 at 17:52.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 17:59   #138
Resting In Peace
 
susie123's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, what was the family name of your family who worked on the fish markets?
Our family firm was I Creasey, started by my great grandfather Isaac around the1890s. It was the end stall on the left in the old pre 60s market and there was always a lot of wooden fish boxes with our name on kicking around. The name disappeared after after my grandfather's death in 1959 when I think the firm was bought by some of his colleagues.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 18:15   #139
Member.

 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I was just looking through some old family papers. I always thought my dad rented that garage but actually it was owned by our family. It was part of my great grandmother's property empire (she owned a few terraced houses and a farm) and was sold for 35 pounds in 1965 when it was described as Old stable, Weir Street, Lowerfold, Accrington.

What was his surname Susie. My father use to repair cars down that end with a chap called Jim Peters.
__________________

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 18:22   #140
Resting In Peace
 
susie123's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
What was his surname Susie. My father use to repair cars down that end with a chap called Jim Peters.
See previous post for our family name Doug. My dad was the fish merchant's grandson but didn't go into the business.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:56   #141
Resting In Peace
 
susie123's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, what was the family name of your family who worked on the fish markets?
Was there a specific reason for your question or were you just curious??
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 14:40   #142
Senior Member+
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Like Barrie I used to deliver Stantons pop during the summer holidays while I was in the sixth form.
Stanton was a little tubby man, always smartly dressed and no-one was allowed in the upstairs room where he mixed the sarsaparilla and others-he said they were family secrets.
The drivers had Bedford wagons, always beautifully clean and they drove like absolute maniacs-they were on commision and as we sold a lot in Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford etc they had to go over Blubberhouses(no motorways!) and that meant seriously fast driving to get there,sell and get back.
I'm sure we were loaded up and off by seven and didn't get back 'til late at night.We actually ran(so did the drivers) up and down those steep streets to sell as much as possible-those big stone jars got very heavy by evening, especially if you were carrying three or four at once.
We didn't get much pay but I remember finding out how much the drivers made-it was an absolute fortune in the late fifties.
Funnily enough the weather always seemed warm and dry- I don't remember getting soaking wet, just having to drink plenty of free pop.
Who knows, I might have sold some to you and your families!
I worked on that round as well Gordon - the driver was a German ex-POW who had married an Ossy girl. Think his name was Hans, a really nice chap.
__________________
Regards,
Barrie
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 18:30   #143
Junior Member+
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Susie
I haven't enjoyed a thread this much in a long time, such a good read.
Going back to your very early post (sorry only just caught up).
I think the couple who had the chippie on York St were John and Dora Birtles and I think his brother Bill had a garage down Clayton and sold Vanguard cars. Wouldn't like to fill one up with petrol today.
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 20:32   #144
Resting In Peace
 
susie123's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
Susie
I haven't enjoyed a thread this much in a long time, such a good read.
Going back to your very early post (sorry only just caught up).
I think the couple who had the chippie on York St were John and Dora Birtles and I think his brother Bill had a garage down Clayton and sold Vanguard cars. Wouldn't like to fill one up with petrol today.
Thanks for the comments on my thread, glad it's given pleasure to folks. Don't know the name Birtles but in the late 60s the York Street chippy was owned by a family named Greenhow. I know because my teenage brother who was just about to go off to university got their daughter pregnant. They married and had a son but it didn't last.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 20:47   #145
Resting in Peace

 
katex's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
I think the couple who had the chippie on York St were John and Dora Birtles and I think his brother Bill had a garage down Clayton and sold Vanguard cars. Wouldn't like to fill one up with petrol today.
Bill Birtles was my father-in-law.
Yep, those Vanguards sure had big tanks ... ex army stock they were.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 20:59   #146
Resting in Peace

 
katex's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

[quote=susie123;953835] Don't know the name Birtles quote]

Well, you know one now...

Was told Dora and John did have a chippy at one time, but I wasn't married until '64 and they lived on Windsor Street (I think it was), and I don't think they had it then.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 21:13   #147
I am Banned
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Bill Birtles was my father-in-law.
Yep, those Vanguards sure had big tanks ... ex army stock they were.
Bought my first set of 4 wheels off William Birtles, after a bullet wound in my leg prevented me riding motor bikes, he sold me an Austin Tilly GXB 777, and a spare engine for 40 quid.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 21:55   #148
Resting in Peace

 
katex's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Bought my first set of 4 wheels off William Birtles, after a bullet wound in my leg prevented me riding motor bikes, he sold me an Austin Tilly GXB 777, and a spare engine for 40 quid.

Retlaw.
Austin Tillys ... Ah yes, that's brought back a memory ..
You forgot to put the safety catch on yer gun, Lurch ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17   #149
Junior Member+
 

Cool Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

We had a rag top a Austin tilly and it had some old car seats in the back, ok in the summer but very cold in the winter.
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59   #150
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
An old widow named Laycock used to make ice cream at her home opposite St Paul's church Ossy, and sold it from a chest freezer parked in her vestibule. That was creamy yellow too, but sometimes had lumps in which was the 'skin' caused when she boiled the milk.
There was no 'pasteurised' or UHT, and herds weren't TB vaccinated.
The option to whole raw milk was sterilised milk which tasted very different.
Used to love calling at Ma Laycocks for an Ice Cream on the way to the Park when I was a kid, can even still picture her, was good stuff including the lumps Margaret
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1