Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2013, 06:38   #241
JCB

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I aint seen her fer as long either Dave, saw frank a couple of years back on Hyndburn Rd.
I was with Frank Burrell on Sunday . He's fine and healthy .
cashman likes this.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2013, 06:58   #242
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I was with Frank Burrell on Sunday . He's fine and healthy .
Thats good to know, ta. top geezer.
Old 22-05-2013, 08:26   #243
Resting in Peace

Re: My early life in Act 1946-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Chris Siv - your grandmother had a daughter Dorothy Curran, I recall. She will now be 80yrs (I hope). 55 was left hand side going up below Arnold St with a lamp outside. I think they were related either to Burrells across the street or Pendergast's on Arnold St. 16 Dowry St might have been close to Whalley Rd, and No 25 very close by

Karolgadge....Andrew Nuttall was likely the lad, a good musician, who was landlord of the Stop & Rest, Ossie for years. Peter Whittaker may have become a policeman, though that is a common name.
Andy was Landlord at the Stop for years, took over from Jim Lucas, who was mine host when I used to sink a few in the deep end with Wayans father, when he left the Stop took over as steward at Ossy Con, sadly he died around 6 years ago
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:03   #244
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Andy was Landlord at the Stop for years, took over from Jim Lucas, who was mine host when I used to sink a few in the deep end with Wayans father, when he left the Stop took over as steward at Ossy Con, sadly he died around 6 years ago
Do you remember Ron Potts , Jaysay , who was the landlord before Jim Lucas ?

I used to go in the tap-room on Saturday nights when Jim Lucas was landlord . It was men only , and then they started letting the ladies in .
Old 22-05-2013, 21:58   #245
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

I used to go in the tap-room on Saturday nights when Jim Lucas was landlord . It was men only , and then they started letting the ladies in .
They started letting em in the Black Bull Vault mid/late 60s SACRILEGE. I blame that action as the real start of foul language by women.
Old 23-05-2013, 08:34   #246
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Do you remember Ron Potts , Jaysay , who was the landlord before Jim Lucas ?

Ya knew Ron very well Colin and his wife Isobel, they lived near me on Merlin Drive, sadly Ron Died a few years ago now, Isobel lived in Merlin Court until she died about 3 years ago. I remember when it was men only an earache free zone
Old 23-05-2013, 11:21   #247
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya knew Ron very well Colin and his wife Isobel, they lived near me on Merlin Drive, sadly Ron Died a few years ago now, Isobel lived in Merlin Court until she died about 3 years ago. I remember when it was men only an earache free zone
The last time I saw Ron Potts was in the Straits . I had gone in for a pint with Michael Conway .

Some of those ladies in the Stop and Rest were good dominoe players .

We used to get a laugh out of Bertha , who called herself the corset woman . She lived at the bottom of Fielding Lane just below the park . She had a Spirella sign next to her front door . Her brother or brother-in-law Cunliffe used to live at the top of our street on Richmond Rd .
Old 23-05-2013, 17:34   #248
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The last time I saw Ron Potts was in the Straits . I had gone in for a pint with Michael Conway .

Some of those ladies in the Stop and Rest were good dominoe players .

We used to get a laugh out of Bertha , who called herself the corset woman . She lived at the bottom of Fielding Lane just below the park . She had a Spirella sign next to her front door . Her brother or brother-in-law Cunliffe used to live at the top of our street on Richmond Rd .
Cunliffe Duckworth, Bertha also used to do tailoring too Colin can remember her taking in some trousers for me after I lost about 3 stone in weight
Old 28-08-2013, 18:21   #249
Junior Member+

[QUOTE=susie123;943018]Having been confined to bed for a bit, passed the time reading some of the threads on this site and thought it was about time to make a contribution.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and lived at various times in Owen Street, Queens Road and Whalley Road. My earliest memory is of the Festival of Britain procession on Queens Road so that would have been 1951. My grandad had a stall on the fish market, a family business since the late 1800s, and I remember going down town with my cousin on Good Friday and taking him his lunch in a basket. That was when the fish market was still in a shed.

It's always struck me, looking back, how many small shops there were in the area where I lived. Starting at the Whalley Road end of Owen Street there was the off licence at the top of Milnshaw Lane (still there) and Thornber's chemists on the corner of Knowlmere Street. My second cousin worked there, very long hours, and I used to go behind the counter into the pharmacy area where they had all the little drawers and bottles on shelves. There were also some rooms behind the shop, in one of which was a fireplace with a real fire also a gas ring presumably to boil a kettle. That shop became Everitts supermarket. Ernie Everitt used to sell fruit and veg from an open sided van round that area before that.

Going along Owen Street, on the western corner with Haywood Road was Gregson's, grocers, pies and ?bread. I remember taking a jug there to get gravy. Next block along Owen Street, north side was Sagar's cake shop - wimberry pies oozing with juice, such a local thing, haven't seen one for years. Opposite was Mr Nicklin's, newsagent and sweets, no shop front, just a converted front room. Going up Haywood Road, on the west side about halfway to the hospital was Mr Chaffer's bakers, and opposite was Leighton's greengrocers and Thistlethwaite butchers. On the northeast corner of Haywood Road and Garden Street was a Co op though I don't know what it sold and I seem to remember it closing down.

On the next street Aitken Street about halfway up from Owen Street on the west side was Mrs Hogggarth's, grocer, again just a converted front room, and opposite was Miss Clarkson's sweetshop. Then on Marlborough Road north of Queens Road in the first block on the west side was Susie's chippy, just a range in her front room. Susie was a big blonde woman. I've just looked on Google maps and there is a Sue's chippy marked in the same spot! The last two shops I remember were Cameron's baker on the corner of Lime Road and Marlborough Road and a greengrocer next to it. Then another chippy on the corner of York Street opposite Mary Mag’sschool, still there, used to take a basin and get a mixture, chips and mushy peas. This is making me hungry! And I always remember the steamy smell of the Dot Laundry on back Owen Street by the railway embankment.

This seems to me quite a lot of shops, especially bakers, in a fairly small area. Were other areas of town similarly well serviced?

My first school was Central Prep aka Miss Caulfields – she lived a few doors along from us in Owen Street and had taught my dad when he was a lad. When I first went around 1950 the school was in the Oak Street Congregational Church buildings, then it moved to Hargreaves Street behind New Jerusalem Church. I used to go home for lunch which meant trekking from one end of town to the other in the middle of the day as well as at the beginning and end. Although several of us did it in a group I doubt it would be allowed now without supervision! I then went to the High School 1957-64 under Miss Horne's regime and remember all the teachers mentioned on the High School thread, mostly with affection.

I used to go to the Arcs on Knowlmere Street on a Saturday (that offy on Milnshaw Lane came in very handy for illicit drinking!) On Fridays it was Whalley Road Congregational Youth Club - we lived opposite it at the time. I remember getting ready to go there one Friday when we heard the news of JFK's assassination. I also remember going in a coach to the Cavern in Liverpool one afternoon to see a group from Accrington. Having checked the 60s group thread I guess that must have been the Scorchers. I also went to the Majestic ballroom (Con club) on occasion, used to love Lionel Morton and the Four Pennies, also saw the Merseybeats there. Also went to the Meccas at Blackburn and Burnley where I saw Freddie and the Dreamers. And I used to go to the folk club at the Stanley Supporters Club where they used to have some really big names. I still like folk music today and prefer to listen to those acts than any of the modern ones.

Looking back at all this I wonder how I had time to do any school work but I did get some A levels and in1964 went to college in the great metropolis of Preston leaving most of this heady social life behind. Then in 1968 I left Accy for good and have lived in all sorts of places since, from North Carolina to Morecambe, where I am now. I come back for the odd visit but to me the town ain't what it was and it makes me sad.

Sorry for rambling on but maybe some of this has stirred other folks' memories. I look forward to finding
Alan Gilmartin likes this.
pam ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 18:24   #250
Junior Member+

Hi, just read you initial post, Iwas Pamela Barnes and lived on Aitken St, had a brother Ian, Margaret Nicklin was my best friend, she now lives in new Zealand, I knew your sister Doris and many of the people who have replied to your posts. I went to the High school 1960 to 66. I now live in Canada
Old 28-08-2013, 19:03   #251

Worked with what must have been John Sargeant's dad; Cornelius by name; at Steiners, he was a electrician of the really old school, when he made me carry his tool box I realised why he was so bow legged, about 5 foot tall would have been six but for that. Very precise and skilled with installation but had little idea of faultfinding on machinery.
Very seriously religeous; Plymouth Breth(e)ren so used to get quite upset at the outbursts of workshop language which were frequent. Came to work on a bike which should have had wide load signs on the back.
He and his wife and daughter were still running the leather shop till the mid sixties.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 19:24   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
Sydney and Barbara Carr there son is Michael
Remember Sid well from both Whitebirk and Heysham, haven't seen them for a while, I got the impression that he and I were remotely related. Also ended up working on the old computor system, there can't be much of it left; Feranti have been out of business longer than I have
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:33   #253
Senior Member+

Thanks fore yesterday's posting, Pam. Apart from thinking that Owen street had a south and a north side, I recalled much of what you said, though you were 5yrs younger than me. I was disappointed that you were not a St John'ser.
(Umpire is older than me and, as he lived near to me, acted as a 'chum' in my earliest days a the Grammar Schol) He also acted as tutor to me on trainspotting matters)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 18:34   #254
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thanks fore yesterday's posting, Pam. Apart from thinking that Owen street had a south and a north side, I recalled much of what you said, though you were 5yrs younger than me. I was disappointed that you were not a St John'ser.
(Umpire is older than me and, as he lived near to me, acted as a 'chum' in my earliest days a the Grammar Schol) He also acted as tutor to me on trainspotting matters)
Hi I was a st johns er from 1954 Miss Salthouse thru Mrs Thurman nad Hartleys jam as Head
Old 29-08-2013, 18:55   #255
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam ashworth View Post
Hi I was a st johns er from 1954 Miss Salthouse thru Mrs Thurman nad Hartleys jam as Head
Think twas 52 when i started yon, yeh didn't have n older sis called Pauline did yeh?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..