Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2012, 12:22   #196
Junior Member+

Re: My early life in Accy 1946-68

Hi Susie what a coinsidence I liked nest door to the leightons we called her auntie bell we also went to there house to watch the coronation do you remember Miss shipstone who taught p.e in the big hall at the top of the school we were tired out by the time we had climbed all those stone steps
Dobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2012, 12:31   #197
Junior Member+

Hi Susie

I thought that it must be you as that was the only name that came into my head when i saw susie and when I looked at your page and saw the photo it just had to be you you haven't changed a bit I can't tell you what a pleasure it was for me to read your very interesting memories it brought back so many memories for me we moved from accrington when my two sons were 10and 11years old we moved to liverpool where my sons still live and I think I have already told you that we now live in Lanzarote do you remember the name of Mr Chaffers daughter
Old 26-05-2012, 12:53   #198
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
Hi Susie what a coinsidence I liked nest door to the leightons we called her auntie bell we also went to there house to watch the coronation do you remember Miss shipstone who taught p.e in the big hall at the top of the school we were tired out by the time we had climbed all those stone steps
Quote:
Hi Susie

I thought that it must be you as that was the only name that came into my head when i saw susie and when I looked at your page and saw the photo it just had to be you you haven't changed a bit I can't tell you what a pleasure it was for me to read your very interesting memories it brought back so many memories for me we moved from accrington when my two sons were 10and 11years old we moved to liverpool where my sons still live and I think I have already told you that we now live in Lanzarote do you remember the name of Mr Chaffers daughter
Glad you're enjoying my memories Maria - I knew I had a lot I wanted to write down and Accyweb gave me the perfect opportunity. Seems to have gone down well with a lot of members on here.

Yes I do remember Miss Shipstone and PE in the hall and outside in the yard too! She was a little lady and didn't she have something wrong with her - a limp or a wryneck or something?

I only rememer Mr Chaffer and not his family, suggest you ask his grand daughter Mobertol if you want to know his daughter's name. You can send her a private mesage. She knows Liverpool well too as she was at university there. Also it wasn't me who went to the Leightons to watch the coronation - it was Littlepom. See post 12 on this thread.

We are living in Morecambe now - I left Lancs when I was 21 and never thought I'd come back. But my other half got a job here in 2006 after being unemployed for a while. We had lived in various parts of the country before that. He retires in 2 years and then we aim to travel in Europe in our motorhome.
Old 26-05-2012, 12:58   #199
Junior Member+

Hi Bob

I started school at St Johns when I was three 1949 and attended until I was six then went to Central Prep on to St Mary Magdelens and Finally St Christophers I was one of the first pupils to attend there and I was in the school choir for the opening day when did you go to St Johns maybe you would remember me Mariae Allen my best friend was Pamela Gorten I lived next door to Lenora Leighton if you ever bump into her again would you remember me to her she looked after me a lot when my Grandma went down town I spent a lot of my school holidays with lenora and rita I am so glad I found this web site the memeroies of my child hood came flooding back it was lovely I also went to knowlmere street with my friend Sandra Dean and the Con on Monday and Saturday nights Percys chip shop was the best I knew there daughter Margaret look forward to hearing from you oh by the wy I now live in Lanzarote rtired there last year and loving it
Old 26-05-2012, 14:00   #200
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to know Pamela Gorton way back Dobbie, also her younger brother Albert, who became a butcher when he left school in accy market hall, aint seen him fer a about 7/8 years now, though was told hes now working up Huncoat at Senator, n left butchering. I started at St Johns in 52, n go to the reunions when i'm around, its good to see some old faces.
Old 27-05-2012, 12:42   #201
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
Thanks for the memories. The deck, Knowlmere Street, mine was cherryB in the phone box on Knowlemere Street. Couldn't dare go to a pub as well as being underage my grandma had the Globe on Blackbutn Road. My dad used to have the garage in Edgar Street opposite the Princess and Empire.
I also knew Lenora Leighton, they were the only people that I knew with a telly and went to their place to watch the Coronation. Will have to talk to Bob later.
Oh some lovely memories came up. Spent hours in the Melbo drinking Vimto.
Thanks Susie.
Hi Littlepom thought I would reply as I lived next door to Lenora Leighton and my sisters and I also went to leightons to watch the coronation on their telly I remember it was very small and had a magnifier over the screen loved the street party afterwards though my name is Mariae Allen I do hope hope that you remember me and that you will reply and tell me your name
Old 27-05-2012, 12:43   #202
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
used to know Pamela Gorton way back Dobbie, also her younger brother Albert, who became a butcher when he left school in accy market hall, aint seen him fer a about 7/8 years now, though was told hes now working up Huncoat at Senator, n left butchering. I started at St Johns in 52, n go to the reunions when i'm around, its good to see some old faces.
Hi Thanks for your reply i would dearly love to contact Pamela if you could find out any information for me I would be most grateful
Old 27-05-2012, 12:52   #203
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Glad you're enjoying my memories Maria - I knew I had a lot I wanted to write down and Accyweb gave me the perfect opportunity. Seems to have gone down well with a lot of members on here.

Yes I do remember Miss Shipstone and PE in the hall and outside in the yard too! She was a little lady and didn't she have something wrong with her - a limp or a wryneck or something?

I only rememer Mr Chaffer and not his family, suggest you ask his grand daughter Mobertol if you want to know his daughter's name. You can send her a private mesage. She knows Liverpool well too as she was at university there. Also it wasn't me who went to the Leightons to watch the coronation - it was Littlepom. See post 12 on this thread.

We are living in Morecambe now - I left Lancs when I was 21 and never thought I'd come back. But my other half got a job here in 2006 after being unemployed for a while. We had lived in various parts of the country before that. He retires in 2 years and then we aim to travel in Europe in our motorhome.
Hi Susie

what a coincidence my Sister-In-Law moved to morecambe as well with her Husbands job after he left whitebirk power station he worked at Heysham power station now retired his son works there now and they live in Bare
Old 27-05-2012, 13:08   #204
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Hi Susie

what a coincidence my Sister-In-Law moved to morecambe as well with her Husbands job after he left whitebirk power station he worked at Heysham power station now retired his son works there now and they live in Bare
More coincidences - my partner works at Heysham power station on their computers and we live just down the prom about half a mile from Bare. What's their name?
Old 27-05-2012, 21:49   #205
Junior Member+

Sydney and Barbara Carr there son is Michael
Old 27-05-2012, 22:14   #206
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Hi Thanks for your reply i would dearly love to contact Pamela if you could find out any information for me I would be most grateful
Will try but can't promise. will P.M. yeh if i find out.
Old 27-05-2012, 23:56   #207
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Will try but can't promise. will P.M. yeh if i find out.
Hi Cashman thanks for your reply look forward to hearing rom you again soon
Old 28-05-2012, 16:48   #208
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
More coincidences - my partner works at Heysham power station on their computers and we live just down the prom about half a mile from Bare. What's their name?
Quote:
Sydney and Barbara Carr there son is Michael
The names don't ring any bells with my other half, sorry, but I will keep a lookout for them. You never know when paths may cross.
Old 30-05-2012, 17:33   #209
Junior Member+

Hi

I am new to the site but i used to know Pam Gorten . DIdnt she marry Vinny Conroy. Thanks for the memories of Accy . I havent lived in england for many years but I went to new Jerusalem church and lived in Water street. Those days at the con club and the Empire in Church were great. I married Bunny Burnett but we divorced years ago . Remember many fights at the Con usually started by Bunny.

I am trying to trace my cousin Ray LLoyd . I think he is a member on the site. Havent seen him in years . I live in Cape Town.
schoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 14:22   #210
Junior Member+

Hi Littlepom

I also went to the leightons to watch the coronation we lived next door to them I am Mariae Allen do you remember me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..