Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2009, 23:42   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Argyle Street Gym.

the boys football league thread brought back this memory, cos i was pretty crap at football i graduated to Boxing after 1 season at St Augustines, was much better at that. went to the gym on argyle street accy, was run by Bob Bannister, who used to appear at the drill hall as Robert Rettsinab the wrestler, think he was also a window cleaner, but memorys not great on that last bit. did anyone used to train at that owd gym or has any tales of it?
Old 13-07-2009, 23:49   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Re: The Argyle Street Gym.

one funny incident i recall yon, after a couple of months yon, i thought i was henry cooper, was in the ring sparring with Bob who had one of those big flat gloves wi a spot in the centre. the object was to hit the spot as hard n fast as possible, i couldn't resist i chinned Bob.............. big mistake never made that mistake again.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:10   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
one funny incident i recall yon, after a couple of months yon, i thought i was henry cooper, was in the ring sparring with Bob who had one of those big flat gloves wi a spot in the centre. the object was to hit the spot as hard n fast as possible, i couldn't resist i chinned Bob.............. big mistake never made that mistake again.
Ya I imagine making a mistake like that could seriously damage your health cashy
Old 14-07-2009, 14:15   #4

Bob spent a couple of years trying to get a couple of us boxing but it was always with a pint in our hands. I saw Bob in the asda at Lancaster last year just before he died he was great man,
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 16:08   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

didn't know he'd passed away tony, sorry to hear that, agree he was a top geezer.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:57   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Funnily enough i stand wi bobs nephew up the stanley (which i never twigged) will ask him on sat if hes any tales to add.
Old 22-08-2010, 11:41   #7

I'm Bob's nephew. It's nice to see that people had great respect for him. After he retired Bob went to live at Middleton, next door to Heysham. His big passion in later life was his electric organ, I think he was a member of the Lancaster keyboard society. He used to promote the wrestling bouts at the Ambulance Drill hall, and fought up and down the country. He was billed as Robert Retsinnab (Bannister spelt backwards) from Hungary, it always made me laugh when they announced this in the ring. After Argyle Street closed he opened a gym on the site of the old Central WMC, round the corner from where Argos is now. Sadly Bob passed away last year, in Lacaster hospital, he was cremated at Accrington Cemetry.
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..