Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 01:19   #1
land of hope and glory

Is It Possible??

We all like a bit of music, but is it possible to name your most influential record of all time. If you can tell us what and why?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2004, 06:46   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Is It Possible??

So far the only answer I can come up with is "No, it isn't possible." but you never know, I may think of something later.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:50   #3
Senior Member+

Meat Loaf-Bat out of hell the album as a whole.

At 13-18 that album was very influential(?), It contained your dreams/realities ??

Bat out of hell- riding a big bike at stupid speeds and not caring for consequences..

Heaven can wait- Lost loved ones (two of my best mates died on bikes in school)

Paradise by the dashboard lights-

for crying out loud- First love

ETC

must dash and put it in the cd player.......................
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:40   #4

It's possible for me. The most influential record was 'Rock around the Clock' First heard generally by me in the film 'Blackboard Jungle'. It signalled a new era for teenagers at the time. A kind of breaking away from the adult yolk. (seen and not heard rubbish)The song always reminds me of the story in the film about the trials and tribulations between some toughy and the teacher who was eventually helped by a black student(Sydney Poitier). It did influence my thinking, but all for the better. I.E. 'doing the right thing' sentiment. Unfortunately, this freedom expressed by young folk has by now gone far way over the top as it is today. Something went wrong somewhere
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 16:40   #5
land of hope and glory

been trying my hardest to think of the best ever ,keep coming back with something else???
Old 09-12-2004, 07:53   #6
Super Moderator

"Good Rockin' Tonight" - Wynonie Harris
When I first heard this record in the late 60's, I realised that the common-held view that Elvis and Bill Haley had invented a new, exciting form of music was a total myth. This music had existing in a rawer and more passionate form for years beforehand. I was also girpped with urgent desire to seek out more of this sort of music - something I've been doing for the last thirty-odd years.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 14:09   #7
Resident Waffler

He's got a sort of bluesey jazz sound hasn't he? When you say you seek out more of the same sort of music can you name some artists? My music knowledge is quite limited for that era.

Old 09-12-2004, 14:45   #8
Super Moderator

Smile Re: Is It Possible??

Amos Milburn, Roy Brown, Big Joe Turner, Roy Milton, Joe Liggins, Jimmy Liggins, Big Jay McNeely, Chuck Higgins, Joe Houston, Chuck Willis, Big Maybelle, Ruth Brown, Laverne Baker, the 5 Royales, Billy Ward & the Dominoes, Hank Ballard & the Midnighters, T-Bone Walker, Smiley Lewis...and lots more household names.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:37   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
...and lots more household names.
Forgive my ignorance Wynonie but I haven't heard of a single one of your "Household Names". How about Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel ?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:17   #10
Resident Waffler

I've heard of Big Joe Turner!!!

Old 12-12-2004, 01:20   #11
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I've heard of Big Joe Turner!!!
willow ! but what is your all time favourite?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:42   #12
Senior Member+

My all time favourite songs are I will survive, Gloria Gaynor and Dancing Queen, Abba.

Brilliant song's
Old 12-12-2004, 22:30   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
willow ! but what is your all time favourite?
I don't think I've got an all time favourite but there are some songs I just can't sing without getting all emotional. Does that count? I can even get emotional about places I've never been (like Dobie Graty's "Roll on Sweet Mississippi") There's a particular PJ Proby song I have the same trouble with - I think the title was "Echo of your laughter" but I could be wrong.

There are lots of others I love and all by such different people that it's impossible to pick just one. A quick flick through my vynil produced such diversities as Johnny McEvoy, PJ Proby, Tanita Tikaram, Enya, Magna Carta, Planxty. My CDs include Elvis Costello, Queen, BeeGees, Roger Miller, Maroon5 and that's just a cursory glance.

Maybe Magna Carta's "Seasons" inspired me to try to set some of my poems to music but I can't say it was life changing. "Here Comes The Night" by "Them" was quite a milestone in my life because I managed to be able to play " da da da dum dum" live on stage! Does that count?

Can't say that any of it actually changed my life though.

Old 12-12-2004, 23:08   #14
Accy Goddess

My all time favorite has as got to be Old Shep.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 07:28   #15
Super Moderator

Yerself, I was just having a little joke. I realise that most people have never heard of most of my favourite artists, but the fact remains that without these performers and other similarly unsung heroes of late 40's/early 50's Rhythm & Blues, there would be no rock, soul or reggae music as we know it today!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..