Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2010, 18:38   #1

Which was best, Golden Palms, Cavendish, Cats Whiskers or any such club!

I remember going to the Golden Palms on my own one night, was just turned 16. Got talking to 2 girls drinking half Largers and wanted to be cool so asked them if they would like a drink. Brandy and Babysham, each!!!!!! 15 bob for the 2, thanks alot for the drink and off they went. Had to walk all the way back to Accy (1st of many) Lesson learnt
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2010, 19:35   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Which was best, Golden Palms, Cavendish, Cats Whiskers or any such club!

Made no difference to me got thrown out of them all

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:14   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
I remember going to the Golden Palms on my own one night, was just turned 16. Got talking to 2 girls drinking half Largers and wanted to be cool so asked them if they would like a drink. Brandy and Babysham, each!!!!!! 15 bob for the 2, thanks alot for the drink and off they went. Had to walk all the way back to Accy (1st of many) Lesson learnt

Must have been "Grab a Granny night" , think it was Tuesdays , supposed to be over 21s , many a young lad got taken in whilst on the prowl for an 'older' sophisticated woman
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 05:22   #4

Same thing happened to me at Blackburn Mecca, bought her a drink, she asked if I wanted to dance, a slow one, she gave me a love bite, then buggered off.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 05:29   #5

I loved the Cav though it was three clubs in one, Disco, Latina lounge, Cabaret room, never went in the gamming room, if we didnt pick a girl up in one off the pubs befor closing most of them were taken by the time we got up the Cavendish, but still great times.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 05:49   #6
God Member

Alan , Blackburn Mecca and the Golden Palms were the same place , just a change of name , not sure what year but think in the 70s sometimes , no way can I imagine a place in Blackburn (or the UK) these days being called the Mecca without some sort of 'onion' dome on the top ..... maybe some local Accy web uesers can tell us when the name "Mecca" was stopped being used as a gambling den (bingo hall )
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 09:36   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Mecca at blackburn had a photo in the pay booth of cashy..........NOT to be allowed in. cav was ok in its day, cats whiskers was full of dingles, so suppose i would say mecca,/palms when i could get in. ya missed out the classiest one steeljack- the Top Hat.
Old 16-01-2010, 10:06   #8
Resting in Peace

Well I work at both the Cave and Palms, plus Cats and Angels in Dingle land and later on Martholme Grange, to me the best one was the Cav, the new Cav that is, when it was all one huge room instead of the four different rooms, this was after the fire in the early
70s, after that Martholme
Old 16-01-2010, 10:32   #9
God Member

Angels was one of the places that we celebrated our 18th birthdays from school, Monroe's in Gt Harwood was the other. I'm sure the bouncers knew that, if it was an 18th birthday, the odds were that the majority of the group were only 17.

Lar De Dars opened just after I turned 18 so we started going there as well, but Angels was still a big favourite.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 12:04   #10
Resting In Peace

now your talking cashy, the top hat that was a dive.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 13:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I work at both the Cave and Palms, plus Cats and Angels in Dingle land and later on Martholme Grange, to me the best one was the Cav, the new Cav that is, when it was all one huge room instead of the four different rooms, this was after the fire in the early
70s, after that Martholme
You had left by then I think Jaysay, but Pilkingtons did the conversion of the Cavendish and a few weeks later it burnt down. Just before it did Pilkingtons mob went to watch Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon on stage there. I remember it well because the strobe lights made me throw up under the table!!!! That and the ridiculous amount of booze I had put away!!! Happy Daze!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 14:18   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
now your talking cashy, the top hat that was a dive.
Wine Dine and bleed at the Top Hat, Cyril Kenyons ran a rather salubrious hostelry
Old 16-01-2010, 14:21   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
You had left by then I think Jaysay, but Pilkingtons did the conversion of the Cavendish and a few weeks later it burnt down. Just before it did Pilkingtons mob went to watch Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon on stage there. I remember it well because the strobe lights made me throw up under the table!!!! That and the ridiculous amount of booze I had put away!!! Happy Daze!!
When the Cav burnt down I wa working for Shopfitters, I can remember I was working in Glasgow when I heard about it
Old 16-01-2010, 15:06   #14

Quote:
When the Cav burnt down I wa working for Shopfitters, I can remember I was working in Glasgow when I heard about it
Real goooood neete at the top hat went there a couple of times when I was 17 , some of my older mates took me after my inauguration to the barbary coast in 1972,remeembering it was a warm summers night ,good job it was because when we was going home got outside to see a bloke being hit and going through the car showroom window next door landing on a car. Bloke got off the car with not a mark on him ,lucky devil.
johnenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 15:31   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Wine Dine and bleed at the Top Hat, Cyril Kenyons ran a rather salubrious hostelry
Was good craic though, a hostelry i was never barred from.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..