Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 20:36   #136
I am Banned

Re: World War II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesicus View Post
Here is a stalwart Home Guard unit after field training maneuvers in 1940 -- note the Thompson sub machine guns (Tommy guns) -- I think the rifles are pattern 1914 Enfields.

The Rifles you refer to were known as the P14 .303
made in WW1 in America to british specifications, they were never issued to the Tommies in WW1, the delivery date was over due and enough SMLE's had been produced by then. The septics liked the rifle so much they produced one for their own men in 30-06 calibre known as the P17, some of the latter were also issued to the LOCAL defence volunteers, LDV, later changed to home guard.

Those ranges up Hapton were used by most of the H.G., units in East Lancs throughout the war. I used to shoot on that range till it was closed in the early 1950's.
The range had been in use for quite a long time, for I found lot of different calibre's of spent bullets,
.303 Mk7's, .303 Mk6's, .303 Mk2's and several ball rounds from the days of the Brown Bess.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07   #137

My mother, Mary Greenwood, used to work at Riley's Chemicals and Colours in Clayton-le-Moors during the war.

The factory was used to produce war gasses.
Old 22-11-2012, 18:52   #138

I am new to this site. Please can you tell me the name of the regiment (?) of American soldiers who were stationed at Accrington during the Second World War.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:40   #139
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Robinson View Post
I am new to this site. Please can you tell me the name of the regiment (?) of American soldiers who were stationed at Accrington during the Second World War.

Elizabeth
I never saw any Septics in Accrington during WW2, where the eck could they billet a regiment of them, thats 1000 officers and men, the only place that comes any where near big enough for company (250 men) would have been Hargreaves St School, and that was being used by the Home Guard.
Old 22-11-2012, 21:29   #140
God Member

There might have been some yanks in east lancs, because I recall my mum insinuating that one of my aunts 'bothered' with one.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 21:39   #141
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There might have been some yanks in east lancs, because I recall my mum insinuating that one of my aunts 'bothered' with one.
May be, but I never saw a Septic in this part of East Lancs, there might have been some at Fulwood, or Bury Barracks, there were quite a lot at Warrington.
Old 22-11-2012, 22:12   #142
God Member

I found this -
BBC - WW2 People's War - The Battle of Bamber Bridge

" Adams Hall in Bamber Bridge, essentially a collection of army huts. This was the location of US Eighth Army Air Force Station 569 which consisted of a number of Quartermaster Truck Companies.

.. there were yanks at Bamber Bridge

Last edited by MargaretR; 22-11-2012 at 22:14.
Old 22-11-2012, 22:23   #143
God Member

More browsing at that site reveals this
BBC - WW2 People's War - A Child in WW2: In Accrington
"Occasionally, G.I’s (American General Infantrymen) descended from Burtonwood, to court the local girls, and ‘ any gum chum?’ became the standard phrase. The Yanks seemed far more interesting than their British counterparts, and their stylish uniforms, suntanned faces and attractive accents fascinated me. When I spotted the occasional American Negro, I presumed he had appeared from the depth of the African Jungle. I had never seen a coloured person before."

Old 27-03-2013, 23:33   #144

Greetings Accrington Web denizens!

My goodness, it has been several years since I last contributed here - I am glad to see this thread is still alive. I am afraid some of the images and links have disappeared from some postings - the infamous "link rot" you know. I will try to resurrect some of them.

I am now 83 years old and my WWII memories are dimming more and more but I will contribute some more tid-bits if there is any interest. I have unearthed additional information as a result of (now just a few I am afraid) relatives and friends digging up their old memories and sometimes memorabilia - but authentication of information is sometimes difficult - our memories often play tricks on us. On several occasions in the past I have had to correct postings as new or conflicting information came to light. I will keep trying to present accurate information and avoid "old war stories".

James
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 06:06   #145
Senior Member+

Quote:

My goodness, it has been several years since I last contributed here - I am glad to see this thread is still alive. I am afraid some of the images and links have disappeared from some postings - the infamous "link rot" you know. I will try to resurrect some of them.

I am now 83 years old and my WWII memories are dimming more and more but I will contribute some more tid-bits if there is any interest. I have unearthed additional information as a result of (now just a few I am afraid) relatives and friends digging up their old memories and sometimes memorabilia - but authentication of information is sometimes difficult - our memories often play tricks on us. On several occasions in the past I have had to correct postings as new or conflicting information came to light. I will keep trying to present accurate information and avoid "old war stories".

James
Welcome back - only last night I was browsing through your earlier postings and found them quite enthralling. The details you provided reminded of a couple of incidents that I have vague childhood memories of. One of quite extraordinary clarity was seeing the southern sky as bright as day even though I had been put to bed- it was Manchester burning.
In later years I accompanied my Mother to meet her cousin on his release from hospital having been a prisoner of the Japs after being captured in Java - he was mentioned in "The Naked Island".
As you mentioned, it is a great pity that the photographs are now missing.
Please continue with your posts, you bring so much to this site.
Old 28-03-2013, 08:22   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

James
Welcome back, glad yer o.k. have certainly missed yer contributions.
Old 28-03-2013, 18:04   #147

Quote:

James
I had never visited the old thread on this but have now done so. Very very interesting. I'm looking forward to more. Welcome back
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 03:05   #148

Thank you Barrie, cashman and sm_counsell for the welcome back.

James
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:57   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There were some stationed in Blackburn, certainly during 1944. I think that they were accommodated at Brookhouse Mill, off Whalley New Road.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..