Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2005, 22:02   #61

Re: World War II

In Burnley -- in 1939 when the war broke out -- there were not enough truncheons to equip the Special Police and Air Raid Wardens. Local Billiard Halls (Mechanics Institute, Weavers Institute, Burtons, et al.) contributed billiard cues which were cut down so that they were about two feet long (butt) and a leather wrist strap was attached via a hole drilled through the small end.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2005, 19:48   #62
Senior Member+

Woops in 1982 i defected over here and believe me the Germans mostly believe in the 3rd Reich.Saw the pilot on the tele that stopped the Queen being bombed by flying at the German plane and cutting the tail off.Courage or what???
Old 29-06-2005, 20:55   #63

When the Home Guard (originally, but only for a short time, called the LDV - Land Defense Volunteers) was first formed in 1940 weapons were in very short supply. In Burnley -- and I am sure throughout Lancashire -- some were drilling with broomsticks and garden hoes.

My father's (#1 Burnley) Company was eventually issued US lend-lease. I went with my father to the Hambledon Hill rifle range (just outside Burnley near Hapton) a few times when they did familiarization/qualification shooting in 1940/1941. My cousin, Alan Parkinson, and I used to dig bullets out of the back stop when they were through shooting and collect spent cartridge cases that had been overlooked.

Some NCO's were issued either US lend-lease Thompson sub machine guns (Tommy guns) or British Sten sub machine guns. My father was a Corporal and was issued a Sten gun which he kept at our house (no ammunition) -- I used to play soldiers with it.

Last edited by jamesicus; 30-01-2006 at 15:21. Reason: revisions & updates
Old 30-06-2005, 10:37   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

only just discovered this thread jamesicus,its absolutely spellbinding,hope you keep batting for many years to come.
Old 30-06-2005, 14:53   #65
Senior Member+

Jamesicus found this site it may help with your reseach. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 17:19   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
only just discovered this thread jamesicus,its absolutely spellbinding,hope you keep batting for many years to come.
Thank you for those kind words, cashman -- they are much appreciated.

James
Old 30-06-2005, 17:21   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Jamesicus found this site it may help with your reseach. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/
Thank you, Bazf -- I have visited there several times and have found it to be an excellent resource.

James
Old 30-06-2005, 17:30   #68

Here is a stalwart Home Guard unit after field training maneuvers in 1940 -- note the Thompson sub machine guns (Tommy guns) -- I think the rifles are pattern 1914 Enfields.

Old 30-06-2005, 17:37   #69

The following photograph of is of a reunion of my father's (directly under the arrow) WW2 Home Guard unit taken shortly after the war. Most of these men are in their 50s and 60s and are veterans of WW1 (my father did not serve in that war). There are also two of my uncles (one standing to my father's left, the other the only one with folded arms (WW1 East Lancashire Regiment Veterans).

The photo was taken in front of the Rose & Crown , Manchester Rd in Burnley, (the unit's "unofficial" wartime HQ ) as they were preparing to depart on a bus trip to the Lake District.

There aren't any "pot bellies" that I can see!

Last edited by jamesicus; 30-01-2006 at 15:23.
Old 30-06-2005, 21:04   #70

German Officer: Vhat is your name?
Capt Mainwaring: Don't tell him Pike!

Priceless.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 23:14   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
German Officer: Vhat is your name?
Capt Mainwaring: Don't tell him Pike!

Priceless.
remember that quote like it was yesterday lol
Old 01-07-2005, 02:12   #72

During the Battle of Britain -- and throughout WW2 -- many badly damaged Spitfires and Hurricanes (and major components) were expeditiously shipped to the London, Midland & Scotland (LMS) Railway Wolverton and Barassie carriage workshops for repair and return to service. The British Railways Press Office pamphlet "It Can Now Be Revealed" (about the role of British Railways in WW2, published in 1945) offers the following interesting information:

"At Barassie Works, where the Spitfires were repaired, a runway was laid down alongside the shops and the machines were flown away from this on completion"

Note: Barassie is located on the west coast of Scotland near Prestwick. Wolverton is located in Buckinghamshire in south east England. Both are relatively small rural villages.

Click on the following link for more information relating to this subject:

http://www.livingarchive.org.uk/nvq03/phil/wolverton%20works%201936%20-%201945.htm
Old 09-07-2005, 04:19   #73

A noteworthy tragic event occurred in the Burnley/Accrington area toward the end of the war. In the late afternoon of Monday, 19 February, 1945 an American B24 Liberator (#42-50668) crashed on the moors just outside Burnley (Black Hameldon). I went to the scene not long after the crash when the wreckage was still smoldering. The entire event is well chronicled at:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/lait/site/B-24%2042-50668.htm

Last edited by jamesicus; 10-07-2005 at 03:22.
Old 10-07-2005, 00:46   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

fascinating stuff jamesicus,wasn't aware of the incident at all.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:30   #75
land of hope and glory

what them people must have gone through , it is beyound beliefe.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..