Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gpick24
  • 1 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2013, 18:29   #1

Help!!!

I have recently bought a second-hand laptop off a friend of mine, 1st mistake I know!!! It worked properly for a few days but now it keeps coming up with the same message "Windows detected a hard disk problem" Anyone any ideas how to get this sorted out. The laptop is a HPG62 Notebook. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2013, 19:20   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Help!!!

Firstly, back up any important files
Secondly, do you have restore disks, if not, you may need to make them.
Thirdly, we need the make of the hard drive. You can find this in device manager in "disk drives" - instructions here how to open device manager -
How Do I Access Device Manager in Windows?

Does the laptop run OK afterwards. You`ll need to download, install and run the diagnostic tool for your drive. Sometimes errors can be repaired, sometimes not.
You`ll also be able to get the serial number for the drive and check if it`s still under warranty.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 22:31   #3

For some reason its a Toshiba hard drive serial number MK5065GSX. I've backed up all the files but do not have any restore disks. How do I download the diagnostic tool for it?
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 22:47   #4
Senior Member+

I would create the recovery disks first (if you can, may not be possible if the drive is faulty) - Instructions here -
Creating Recovery Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 7) | HP® Support

Toshiba diagnostic tool here -
Software Utilities

Checked the serial number here -
https://myapps.taec.toshiba.com/myap...DD8450EFEE1E58

Showing out of warranty, so if it has a fault and is unrepairable, a new hard drive will be needed (which is why you`ll need the recovery disks).
cmonstanley likes this.
Old 24-10-2013, 13:59   #5
God Member

just dont buy a toshiba branded hard drive or maxtor or you will be replacing it soon again

pay the extra couple of quid and get western digital
cmonstanley likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 22:33   #6
Senior Member+

I`m saying nowt against Toshiba, don`t want mine taking the huff.
Seriously though, I`ve had more WD go than Maxtors, tend to stick to Seagate now, not one gone faulty yet.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..