Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Phil Whalley
  • 1 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2015, 20:25   #1

Wi-fi settings on laptop - help needed

Evening all

My mum needs some help with her laptop. From what she's described, the Wi-Fi has been turned off and she can't find how to turn it back on. She says that the little slider on/off switch won't move when she goes into settings.

Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

Thanks
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2015, 20:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Wi-fi settings on laptop - help needed

What laptop model is it?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 16:36   #3
Senior Member+

Has she tried just resetting the hub?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 20:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
What laptop model is it?
Hi, its a Packard Bell. From what she's said, I'm pretty sure that the laptop has just lost its Wi-Fi connection to the hub, but she doesn't know how to reconnect it. The hub is working OK.

Anyone around Clayton who'd be prepared to have a look?
Old 25-09-2015, 21:31   #5
Beacon of light

Has she tried turning off the hub for five minutes and then switching it back on?
Sometimes I lose the wifi connection, but if I do this the laptop picks it up again when I switch the hub back on.
My desktop is a wired connection...so I have internet even when the wifi drops out....but my Ipad will show no connection. Switching off the hub and pressing the reset button has always worked for me.
Forget contacting BT as their call centre is in India and it is difficult to understand the instruction they give over the phone.
Can she get any other wifi signal...like BT openzone?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 22:00   #6
Senior Member+

Packard bell is the maker of the laptop, the model will be on the laptop somewhere.
Some laptops have a switch on the edge that's easy to catch accidentally and switch off.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 20:19   #7

...and models without the switch are even easier to accidentally disable wifi. It's a keyboard button combination.

At the bottom of the keyboard there's a button marked Fn - probably to the left of the spacebar. On the function keys, there is one with a wifi icon on it (usually F3). All she needs to do is hold down Fn then press F3 or whatever key has the picture. She should do it once and then wait for a bit - it won't yield an immediate reaction.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 13:57   #8

Done it! It was a function key. Many thanks to those who replied, really appreciate your time.

Phil
cashman and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 27-09-2015, 14:08   #9
Senior Member+

nicely done! all the suggestions I would've made... even resetting the router... I have had wireless freezes myself lately with the sky router
Old 27-09-2015, 14:18   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
Done it! It was a function key. Many thanks to those who replied, really appreciate your time.

Phil
Very pleased to hear that you are sorted....I like a happy ending.
When anything is wrong with my gadgets it does my head in.....I think about it even in my sleep.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:56   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
nicely done! all the suggestions I would've made... even resetting the router... I have had wireless freezes myself lately with the sky router
probably overheating my sky router was murder for it i ended up placing it upside down so the heat went directly upwards through the vents
Restless likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..