Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 23:03   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Digital Switchover - ask your Q here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Lol, i can just imagine it now, to be honest it wouldnt really bother me as if im inside and have the time im normally playing on my xbox rather than watching tv.
if your inside, whens the trial? are you expecting a lagging?
Old 05-01-2008, 00:04   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
does this mean we dont have to change anything?
You will still be able to watch your freeview after the switchover yes. If you still use a VCR it will only be able to record the channel you are watching unless you buy another freeview box just for the VCR to record from.
Old 05-01-2008, 00:14   #18
Give, give, give member

I have two televisions, one already set up with a digi-box. I have that connected to a DVD/Video recorder.

I can only record programmes from terrestrial TV on the video. What will happen after the change over? Will I never again be able to record programmes whilst I'm out, or watching something else?

Dazed and confused.

Last edited by garinda; 05-01-2008 at 00:16.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 00:25   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
i have a digibox in my bedroom, but like sky, if its peeing down, thats it i cant watch half the channels!
is this to do with my crappy aerial on the roof or my crappy digibox?, cuz its doing my head in!
Give me a clue please with what you mean. When its raining what loses half its channels, your sky or your freeview through your aerial?

If Sky then your dish needs realigning, if freeview then you either need a better aerial or it needs readjusting. Your aerial might need changing for one of the so called digital aerials.

Talking about TV aerials they are tuned to match the transmitter you are on. They have a colour coding as in red, blue, green etc. Transmitters next to each other use a different section of the frequency band. I can't remember the colours but if Winter Hill was green then the little one up Royds Avenue might be blue. This is to stop interferance between transmitters. Also main transmitters are horizontally polorised and repeaters are vertically polorised. Again this is to reduce interferance.

This page tells you about Winter Hill Winter Hill digital switchover date | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002
Old 05-01-2008, 14:14   #20
white rabbits

I HAVE SKY+
I record programmes from my sky+, onto video tape using my tv/video combi unit.
I then watch my video in the kitchen on a seperate telly & video
QUESTION
Digsyboy's dog Sam, buggered up my tv/video combi and so i now need to replace it
I have seen a tv/video/DVD combi in the shop but it does not have the ticked box logo thingummyjig
Am I ok to buy this telly/vid/DVD combi thing, and feed my sky+ into it so that I can tape my sky programmes using the video function, so that I can then play the video in the kitchen.....?
I don't want the thing to pack up on me next year!!!
PLEASE HELP :-)
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 18:22   #21
God Member

goodness me one night off and look how many Q's.

I'm off out for a meal in a minute so I'll come back to each post tomorrow

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 18:42   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Am I ok to buy this telly/vid/DVD combi thing, and feed my sky+ into it so that I can tape my sky programmes using the video function, so that I can then play the video in the kitchen.....?
I don't want the thing to pack up on me next year!!!
PLEASE HELP :-)
I take it you can watch sky in your kitchen and so can record sky using your VCR in the kitchen.

Why do you record onto tape what you recorded onto your Sky+? Why don't you just watch the recorded program on Sky+ in the kitchen. Do you save the recorded programs to watch over and over and want to save space on the Sky+?
Old 05-01-2008, 18:50   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

granny, I have just read your post again and I think you can't watch sky in the kitchen. If thats so what you need is a cable from the second rf output on you sky box to the aerial input on your kitchen TV. That way you will be able to watch sky in the kitchen, same channel as in living room though. You will also be able to watch recorded programs on your Sky+ box in your kitchen.

(I am assuming sky+ boxes have rf outputs and you can watch recorded programs on the RF out channel, I don't have a Sky+ box so I can't check)
Old 05-01-2008, 21:25   #24
Senior Member+

whats your gamertag speedy?
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 22:10   #25

Dont have xbox live mate. Dont have internet connection at home, all my internet based shenanigans are done on my mobile.
Old 06-01-2008, 00:20   #26
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I take it you can watch sky in your kitchen and so can record sky using your VCR in the kitchen.

Why do you record onto tape what you recorded onto your Sky+? Why don't you just watch the recorded program on Sky+ in the kitchen. Do you save the recorded programs to watch over and over and want to save space on the Sky+?
right,here goes,,,,in the living room we have 2 teles, one is a big digital one on which my hubby and son watch utter tripe ,,"NOW" poor little me has the other said tv&combi at the other end of the room with sky + with earphones on.which i can watch in comfort ..when i go to bed at night i usualy use the COPY option and put things onto tape that i have recorded over the day,such as loose women and various other programmes from sky....and watch them while i am making the tea etc,, on the tele in the kitchen which is also a combi but you can only tape what you watch,,,and dos'nt have sky ,,its worked out fine up to now ,,,,,but now i think i am going to have two redundent teles...
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
when i go to bed at night i usualy use the COPY option and put things onto tape that i have recorded over the day,such as loose women and various other programmes from sky....and watch them while i am making the tea etc,, on the tele in the kitchen
Like I said above, you need to connect your sky+ box to the aerial input of your kitchen TV. Then you can watch sky on your kitchen TV and also watch programs you have recorded on the Sky+ box without having to tape it first. You can buy a second sky+ remote with a magic eye that will allow you to use the sky+ remote in the kitchen and control the sky+ box that is in the other room just like you do in the living room.

Here they are for sale SKY+KIT | UNBRANDED | Remote Controls & Infra Red Links | Aerials & Satellite | CPC
Old 06-01-2008, 01:45   #28
white rabbits

Thanks Neil...
Old 06-01-2008, 13:27   #29

So basically does it mean if i have a freeview box my TV will be fine when the switchover arrives?

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 14:41   #30

This digital switch over thing. Will my microwave still work?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..