Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2008, 23:19   #1
God Member

Live streaming cams. How does it work?

I think we all know what live streaming cams are . But Im curious to know How it works and is it expensive?
Also is it possible to have in the home?
anyone clued up on it ????
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2008, 23:28   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Live streaming cams. How does it work?

you talking web cams ? I stream music on a shout cast server not sure what your asking Mel.
Old 29-08-2008, 00:02   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I think we all know what live streaming cams are . But Im curious to know How it works and is it expensive?
Also is it possible to have in the home?
anyone clued up on it ????
Surprise I haven't got a clue what you are talking about
Old 29-08-2008, 01:13   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
you talking web cams ? I stream music on a shout cast server not sure what your asking Mel.

No Im actually on about the visual side of it mt
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 05:09   #5
God Member

Women make money out of having it set up in their homes 24/7 for men to watch them, one of the writers in Cosmopolitan tried it to get an inside look into it, and from what I remember she said it was very easy to set up.

I'm not sure how you do it because I don't use any recording software, but it's used for the most obvious thing other than sexual gratification and that is crime detection, and i've seen it used in particular to catch out carers who are stealing from their elderly patients. I imagine it can be used to detect abuse as well in that sense though I haven't come across any examples of that.

What exactly do you want it for? I imagine it wouldnt cost too much to do dependant on how many cameras you needed, though I have no idea about the software costs, but I shouldn't imagine they be too high.

I despise people who stick cameras pointing out of their windows, and the people who do that sort of thing aren't often appreciated in neighbourhoods, particularly where children play no matter how innocent your intentions might be. I'm not saying you are going to do this, but you should bear in mind that all technology that is associated with the internet can potentially land people in trouble they didnt intend to get into at all. Make sure you do everything by the book and protect yourself if you are using it for CCTV purposes.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 06:36   #6
God Member

I set a streaming cam up at one of the accyweb meets, its actually very easy to get the thing working, the hardest bit is that most people have dynamic IP addresses at home which means that you can never be sure of what address 'viewers' need to know to connect.

Luckily there is a couple of services that get round this. One I've used is dyndns.org these effectively register a web address for you ( say entwisi.mine.nu) and you run a small program that tells them what your current IP address is. then when viewers type entwisi.mine.nu in their browser it looks it up in dyndns.orgs records and it directed by them to where you say you are.

I think I still have the software on Julies laptop, I'll check tonight. It was called Microsoft media server, quick googling isn't showing up a suitable download so they may have withdrawn it or made it a paid for service now. It was/is freeware what I used.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 13:11   #7

We have a streaming webcam in our Great Harwood shop. Just follow the link at the top of the homepage.

It works through the wired internet connection at the studio- basically whenever anyone tried to open a web page at the IP address/port combination that we use for connecting to BT, the camera's built-in web server kicks in and displays the camera's homepage, one page of which is its streaming output. There's no computer needed.

It cost about £250, but needed an extra £50 to get power to it. As long as it has a decent upload speed, you can just hook it up to the ethernet port on your router and it works.

By default, ours is set to use low-res Motion JPEG as its codec, but if you run Internet Explorer you can get almost full-speed, hi-res video (if you're the only one connected) by using the MPEG-4 codec. You may need to accept the codec download from Panasonic to do this, though...

By all means pop in if you want to have a look at how it works...
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..