Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2008, 17:57   #1
God Member

Laptops

OK I need a new laptop and I don't know what to go for so I'm wondering if I could tell you what I want and then maybe someone can think of the perfect laptop for me.

Basically by budget is around £550 but might bump it up to £600. I'm currently using an MSI M662 and it's been everything I have wanted it to be but basically I'd just like an upgrade because i've cracked a hinge and blown my power pack up and it seems better to just buy a whole new laptop (so please dont offer to fix it for me!)

I was toying with the idea of getting a 12" or 14" laptop for ease of carrying it around, so I basically want a light laptop. Can be 15.4" but no bigger. Good battery life (3+ hours). MUST have Wireless lan. Would be nice to have a integrated webcam too but that isn't a must.

Basically it is going to be used for uni work, browsing the internet and listening to music. It doesnt need to play games or run anything complicated.

Erm I think that is basically it. I was thinking of the MSI PR210 (comes in 3 pastel colours...) but I wasn't sure about it because I cant find a picture of the front of the laptop and I dont want one of those touch pads with the holes in them... Finger print reader isn't necessary and I'd rather just avoid them altogether...

Oh and I will consider Linux but I wont go near windows vista, xp is ok

Any ideas anyone?

And please nobody even mention the word Mac!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2008, 01:58   #2
God Member

Re: Laptops

acer make decent laptops at affordable prices

Acer Aspire Laptops | Acer Aspire Notebooks | Shop Acer

be very carefull if buying second hand because in my experience the main reason for a lapptop been sold is that somthing is wrong or going wrong with it

ps:

when buying new ask if it is available with xp instead of vista as most companies are willing to sell you the laptop with xp instead

dont waste your time with linux it may make you different but you will be wishing you hadnt bothered

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 27-08-2008 at 02:03.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 08:16   #3
God Member

seconded on Acer and ShopAcer, had 3 machines from them and never been dissatisfied

its getting harder to get new machines with XP so be persistant. The big issue is a lot of places tailor driver disks to machines so will tell you they can't sell it you with XP as they don't have the right drivers. Also if they sell it to you they have to support you on XP and that will be a sticking point.

Its even getting that you will pay a premuim for XP over Vista, here is an example

Toshiba Satellite Pro U400-127 PSU41E-01600TEN From Laptops Direct

The same spec of laptop but with Vista is available cheaper elsewhere.

as for your last comment accyman, spoken like a true muppet. The desktop Linux is here and more than capable of what 90% of users use a PC for without need for command line antics anymore, CPW and Orange are selling EeePCs bundled data packages with and even Google are in on the act with the launch of gOS(a skinned Ubuntu). You should give the latest version a try before you go slagging it off. In fact, I'm (as a geek) getting a bit bored with Linux(shock horror!) as its no longer fun learning how stuff works under the covers as it just 'does'.

To Blazey, remember that Linux doesn't cost you anything and will happily co-exist with Windows so you can have both installed and see which you prefer, you get a choice at startup as to which you would like to use. IMHO its worth initially going dual boot as people may feel they want to do something and don't yet know how to in Linux( or what the equivilant software is called). Dual boot means you have Windows only a reboot away as piece of mind whilst you make the step across.

Not sure why you are OK with Linux but anti Mac? I'd have a Mac if they weren't so expensive for what they are.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 09:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
seconded on Acer and ShopAcer, had 3 machines from them and never been dissatisfied

its getting harder to get new machines with XP so be persistant. The big issue is a lot of places tailor driver disks to machines so will tell you they can't sell it you with XP as they don't have the right drivers. Also if they sell it to you they have to support you on XP and that will be a sticking point.

Its even getting that you will pay a premuim for XP over Vista, here is an example

Toshiba Satellite Pro U400-127 PSU41E-01600TEN From Laptops Direct

The same spec of laptop but with Vista is available cheaper elsewhere.

as for your last comment accyman, spoken like a true muppet. The desktop Linux is here and more than capable of what 90% of users use a PC for without need for command line antics anymore, CPW and Orange are selling EeePCs bundled data packages with and even Google are in on the act with the launch of gOS(a skinned Ubuntu). You should give the latest version a try before you go slagging it off. In fact, I'm (as a geek) getting a bit bored with Linux(shock horror!) as its no longer fun learning how stuff works under the covers as it just 'does'.

To Blazey, remember that Linux doesn't cost you anything and will happily co-exist with Windows so you can have both installed and see which you prefer, you get a choice at startup as to which you would like to use. IMHO its worth initially going dual boot as people may feel they want to do something and don't yet know how to in Linux( or what the equivilant software is called). Dual boot means you have Windows only a reboot away as piece of mind whilst you make the step across.

Not sure why you are OK with Linux but anti Mac? I'd have a Mac if they weren't so expensive for what they are.
archlinux.org - I'm considering being educated Already bored of Ubuntu and now getting bored with Fedora
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 09:35   #5

Hiya Blazey

Look out for dual boot machines. Most Manufacturers still selling them, so that way you are licensed for both.
Also ask at Uni about any purchasing schemes they have. At least one manufacturer has a special pricing agreement for Education where they offer extra discount, so you may be able to take advantage of that (and its well worth taking advantage of!)

HP's 2000 series are the ultralight model, but the 6000 series are the balanced mobility, so are neither the lightest nor most powerful but a good combination of both. I personally would route for the 6000 series, good value, good meat to the machine, and easy to move.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:58   #6

Another for your list,a bit pricey but meets your spec with XP pro and it's from CPC in Preston.
SONY | VGN-BX394VP | PC's, Laptops & PDAs | Computer Products | CPC
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 20:16   #7
God Member

Should add that my computer geek ex boyfriend has told me to go for a HP or Toshiba laptop and my friend in computing says go for a thinkpad?

I am awaiting being paid for some work and a course I went on so I have a few weeks to decide yet anyway. I'm not buying anything second hand want a nice new laptop!
Old 27-08-2008, 20:26   #8
God Member

thinkpad = reliable, slightly lower spec for money

HP = usually nothing special - can be expensive for teh "brand name"
Tosh - OK
Dell - bad rep, often undeserved)
Acer - lots of spec for your money

Old 27-08-2008, 20:37   #9
God Member

Quote:

Tosh - OK
I'm probably going to buy a laptop with a pretty standard spec that looks nice, i'll tell you all and you'll all groan at me for being such a n00b.
Old 27-08-2008, 20:52   #10

Quote:

Tosh - OK
Oh, harsh lol

HP, prices have come down in line with Dells, hence them becoming number 1 globally :P
Dell- bad customer service in past years, a lot better these days but id say are a little bit behind on post sales compared to others
Tosh- used to be number one for laptops, have lost it somehow but still pretty good laptops for decent price
Acer- have grown amazingly, broken into corporate market with decent machines and are definately on their way up. Being known now as a valid competitor
Sony- very pretty laptops, excellant pricing but parts can be a pain
Old 27-08-2008, 21:12   #11
God Member

HP only no 1 world wide thanks to merkins who have them shoved down their throat at wal mart Look at their sales in Europe, nowhere near number 1!

Sony- forgot them, PC for Mac wannabe's very bespoke parts so you are stuffed if they break out of warranty. pretty though...

Old 27-08-2008, 21:36   #12

Quote:
HP only no 1 world wide thanks to merkins who have them shoved down their throat at wal mart Look at their sales in Europe, nowhere near number 1!

Sony- forgot them, PC for Mac wannabe's very bespoke parts so you are stuffed if they break out of warranty. pretty though...
Hp been number 1 in Uk for PSG products for last few quarters, desktops, notebooks PDA;s. Always between them and Dell, although acer grew summat like 57% YOY in same group.

My God, think I've been brainwashed........lmao

Think top 3 have got to be HP, Dell and Acer. All pretty much the same, see what deals are on...
Old 27-08-2008, 22:33   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Oh and I will consider Linux but I wont go near windows vista, xp is ok
Have you used and liked Linux before? If not I would not bother with it on an important machine that you need for your Uni work. Stick to what you know so you can be sure you can finish your work. You could always stick Linux on your old laptop with the dodgy hinge if you want to play/learn with it.
Old 28-08-2008, 10:12   #14
God Member

thing is with the latest Ubuntu you don't need to 'learn' it anymore than you did windows, it reacts and 'works' teh same hence my suggestion of dual boot.

As I mentioned earlier, teh days of needing to know command line to get it to work are well behind it.

Old 28-08-2008, 18:37   #15

A much cheaper one from CPC just received in my Emails from them at £323 and with XP

2.0GHz Wireless Notebook with Windows XP Professional
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..