Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2011, 10:39   #46
God Member

Re: What Happens When You Change ISP?

When I got up this morning I had no internet connection.
Orange had cut me off 24 hours too soon.
My BT Home hub got delivered half an hour ago - and here I am, back in action

I must say I felt withdrawl symptoms all morning without my internet 'fix'.
I will get great pleasure from deleting Orange from my direct debit list on internet banking.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2011, 11:36   #47
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I got up this morning I had no internet connection.
Orange had cut me off 24 hours too soon.
My BT Home hub got delivered half an hour ago - and here I am, back in action

I must say I felt withdrawl symptoms all morning without my internet 'fix'.
I will get great pleasure from deleting Orange from my direct debit list on internet banking.

Your home hub is now filling your flat with wifi electromagnetic radiation and sharing your internet connection with fellow btfon users
Old 14-10-2011, 11:43   #48
God Member

I have connected with an ethernet cable

Old 14-10-2011, 11:57   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your home hub is now filling your flat with wifi electromagnetic radiation and sharing your internet connection with fellow btfon users
Do you want to give me a panic attack
I notice that you winked - reassurance is due - please.

Old 14-10-2011, 13:42   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Just because you connect with a cable does not mean your wifi hub is not wifi ing its little transistors off.

Read all about BTFON here BT | FON

This might be some more useful information for you How to disable the stupid BT FON..? - BTCare Community Forums

Even when not is use wifi access points still transmit to help users find them.

Then again you could have people all around you using wifi or wireless video extenders, bluetooth on their mobiles and the 100's of other things that transmit radio signals.
Old 14-10-2011, 14:14   #51
God Member

Quote:
Just because you connect with a cable does not mean your wifi hub is not wifi ing its little transistors off.

This might be some more useful information for you How to disable the stupid BT FON..? - BTCare Community Forums

Then again you could have people all around you using wifi or wireless video extenders, bluetooth on their mobiles and the 100's of other things that transmit radio signals.
I have now opted out.
I don't understand what it is but since I don't want to access the web away from home, I presume that it is pointless to have it.

Old 14-10-2011, 18:19   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I to am conected with an extranet cable and the wifi is turned of on my laptop
Old 15-10-2011, 08:25   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It might be off on your laptop but it wont be off on your home hub unless you has specifically gone into its settings and turned it off. I can't remember if you can turn wifi off on a BT home hub, not played with one for a while.
Old 15-10-2011, 08:50   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It might be off on your laptop but it wont be off on your home hub unless you has specifically gone into its settings and turned it off. I can't remember if you can turn wifi off on a BT home hub, not played with one for a while.
Nearly sure accyman turned it of for me Neil but not 100%
Old 18-10-2011, 12:12   #55
God Member

I thought that the free add on of Anytime to my service was too good to be true - it was! - and my bill includes £3.94 for one week that it was available to me - I didn't use it!

I prepared an email and scoured the BT website for an email address to use - there isn't one.

This is what I wanted to mail -
"I recently transferred my broadband supply to you.
After my initial enquiry, and during the seven days I awaited my MAC code, I received a phone call from your sales dept.
The salesperson was requesting my agreement to upgrade my telephone account from 'ev & weekend' to 'special low price anytime'.
- and said that this would cause no extra cost to me - the DDebit would stay unchanged.

I pointed out to her that I would be signing up for the package 'broadband with ev & weekend calls' within days, so there seemed little point in changing my telephone plan.
She assured me that the free anytime calls would continue as an 'add on' to my new plan, so I consented, and the change took place.

When I was about to complete the online broadband & phone application, I sought advice in the chatroom help you provide.
I raised the topic of this 'free anytime add on', and was told that it would not apply.
I was not concerned by this news, because I hadn't asked for it - and hadn't used it - and I did not expect that any charge was being made for it.

On the day my home hub was due to be delivered, I found that Orange had discontinued my broadband connection during the night.
I telephoned your helpline to enquire whether my BT broadband was ready for operational use as soon as delivery and installation of the hub had been done.
I was assured it was.
During this call I asked again about the 'free anytime call add on', which had been discussed twice before, and was assured that it was to be added to my package because I was ' a special valued customer'.

Today I have received a bill (online) which shows -
1 - no added bonus of Anytime calls to my service
2 - a charge of £3.94 for the one week that Special Low Price Anytime was available to me!

I would appreciate knowing whether or not I can have anytime calls at no extra cost and, and a refund of the £3.94 you have charged me.
"

So I phoned to say what the mail says.
I was assured that I do not have free Anytime calls.
The £3.94 will be shown as refunded on my next bill.

It seems I an not a 'special valued customer' after all

Old 18-10-2011, 17:50   #56
Resting in Peace

Your a special valued customer, while their after your custom, after they've hooked you they don't give a monkeys, something they proved to me the other week, you see the TV ads for BT Total Broadband, and in the writing which is on the bottom of the page it says new customers only, when they have you hooked you just returned to being a customer
Old 18-10-2011, 19:54   #57
Senior Member+

MargaretR, I paid a years line rental( £120) like you and the anytime call plan is £16/month(excluding calls to mobiles).So the 'free anytime' is worth £3/month to you.
Don't they record/log your calls to their sales dept.? I think I'd try pushing it as they promised this to you more than once! A matter of principle, after all they told you that you were a 'special valued customer'. Nothing to lose and the calls to them are free.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 10:30   #58
God Member

I don't think I need free daytime calls.
My quarterly bill for daytime calls is rarely above £5, so paying £3 a month wouldn't be logical.

The 'package' I have chosen gives me free internet access for four months - I'm not going to be greedy

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-10-2011 at 10:33.
Old 24-10-2011, 09:09   #59
God Member

This switch to BT has a previously unnoticed disadvantage.
I have been with them for 2 weeks and 3 days and have received mail which tells me that I have used 7.76 of my 10 monthly usage allowance.
Unless I modify my usage I will be paying extra £5 a month every month my usage exceeds 10.

I dont download music.
I dont download films.
I do websearch extensively for many hours a day.

I would appreciate your comments on what you think may be causing this 'excess use'.

I suspect the following -
..watching TV on BBC iplayer
..reading a book on a live connection to scrbd
..having several webpages open at one time for a few hours at a time.

If these are causing heavy usage, I will need to modify my browsing habits, reluctantly.

PS as an afterthought - could someone be 'piggybacking' my connection

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-10-2011 at 09:13.
Old 24-10-2011, 09:30   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This switch to BT has a previously unnoticed disadvantage.
I have been with them for 2 weeks and 3 days and have received mail which tells me that I have used 7.76 of my 10 monthly usage allowance.
Unless I modify my usage I will be paying extra £5 a month every month my usage exceeds 10.

I dont download music.
I dont download films.
I do websearch extensively for many hours a day.

I would appreciate your comments on what you think may be causing this 'excess use'.

I suspect the following -
..watching TV on BBC iplayer
..reading a book on a live connection to scrbd
..having several webpages open at one time for a few hours at a time.

If these are causing heavy usage, I will need to modify my browsing habits, reluctantly.

PS as an afterthought - could someone be 'piggybacking' my connection
I've been with BT Broadband since feb 2007, in that time I have never received any notification from them regarding my usage, or that there may be an extra monthly charge, can't say that I went into any great debating on costs with them at the time I signed up

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..