Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2012, 23:15   #16
God Member

Re: Windows Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
bring back XP

Still have it on an old desktop I have in my basement ... love it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2012, 23:17   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't see it being worse the Vista.......that must be the worst operating system ever.
I have it on my laptop and I hate it.
I hardly use my laptop because Vista is so ungainly and user unfriendly.

I can't see me buying a new computer system for a long time...so there will probably be a nine and a ten out before then.
Brings to mind that neat oxymoron: microsoft works.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:10   #18
Beacon of light

I like it Eric!
But I hate Vista
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:31   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I like it Eric!
But I hate Vista
I had Vista on my old laptop Margaret, never caused me any problems
Old 15-01-2012, 09:44   #20
Beacon of light

It doesn't cause any problems John, it is just such an ungainly system. I liked XP......I even liked ME2000....they were easy to navigate. Vista is a nightmare to navigate....and it is memory hungry too. Horrible, downright horrible.
Old 22-01-2012, 01:59   #21

Win8 has already been hacked by the bootkit announced at Malcon last year. It will be interesting to see how the final retail version pans out considering that it's security has already been compromised.
My personal concern is that it might not support dual booting with non-MS OS's. I'm pretty sure there'll be a workaround for us linux users that still have to put up with legacy MS bloatware just to run one or two specific non linux supported app's.
As always, remain vigilant regarding your online security by not visiting sketchy sites (especially following links in spam, don't do it!), and harden your firewall and AV defences especially if you are visiting darknet sites, or certain IRC channels. hint: Proxy chaining FTW.
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 19:34   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuta View Post
Win8 has already been hacked by the bootkit announced at Malcon last year. It will be interesting to see how the final retail version pans out considering that it's security has already been compromised.
My personal concern is that it might not support dual booting with non-MS OS's. I'm pretty sure there'll be a workaround for us linux users that still have to put up with legacy MS bloatware just to run one or two specific non linux supported app's.
As always, remain vigilant regarding your online security by not visiting sketchy sites (especially following links in spam, don't do it!), and harden your firewall and AV defences especially if you are visiting darknet sites, or certain IRC channels. hint: Proxy chaining FTW.
If linux is so good you wont need to use pesky Microsoft products will you
Old 23-01-2012, 10:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If linux is so good you wont need to use pesky Microsoft products will you
There's very little if anything that suits everyone completely. There's things I like about both OS's. It just so happens I've found my requirements sit consistently around linux based systems, with a couple remaining on the Windows side. I would prefer it though if I had everything on the one side to save me the switching when I need to use a particular piece of software. Oh well! Look on the bright side, I didn't come on here ranting about how great Mac products are!

(Not that there's anything wrong with those either mind you).
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:33   #24
Beacon of light

The vast majority of people who use computers know very little about operating systems......not anywhere near enough to make informed decisions.
They have 'grown up'(and I mean that in the technical sense rather than the chronological sense) with Microsoft products and find anything else slightly alien to them....I think this is definitely true of the older end of computer users...we(I include myself in this because I fit into that category) prefer to use what we know....what we are used to......because we don't know any different.
Computers arrrive ready for use with an operating system.....and while you sound very computer savvy and could probably adapt any computer you owned to an operating system that you feel is safer/more acceptable/fits the bill....while we can't do that.....because we do not know how to.

Pesonally, I am just grateful if the darned thing works when I switch it on.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 23-01-2012 at 12:37.
Old 23-01-2012, 13:29   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

That is something we all feel Margaret.

I could adapt my computer to run both Windows and Linux, but I choose not to.
I use windows7 because it's convenient and once antivirus and other security are in place have no problems.
As a choice for work I use a Macbook.
For some strange reason people often get fixated and even evangelistic about the operating system they use, all I can say is if that rocks your boat then use it but don't look down your nose on what others choose to use, lifes too short and the rest of us do seem to manage.
Anybody remember about three years ago the servers for AccyWeb were hacked by some Dutch idiots?Just because they could? Closing all the sites Roy was running for about a week which OS was he using at the time, well, it wasn't Windows, it was that state of the art heavily secure you just can't beat it, Linux. If they want to ruin things for others they will do no matter what system you use.
So if your happy with Windows use it, if you enjoy the ease of use of a Mac, use it, if you wish to spend your time with Linux then use it, but don't criticise others for their choice of operating system.
All that does is show you have a very narrow vision of what computing is about.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 13:29   #26
Rest in Peace

Quote:
The vast majority of people who use computers know very little about operating systems......not anywhere near enough to make informed decisions.
They have 'grown up'(and I mean that in the technical sense rather than the chronological sense) with Microsoft products and find anything else slightly alien to them....I think this is definitely true of the older end of computer users...we(I include myself in this because I fit into that category) prefer to use what we know....what we are used to......because we don't know any different.
Computers arrrive ready for use with an operating system.....and while you sound very computer savvy and could probably adapt any computer you owned to an operating system that you feel is safer/more acceptable/fits the bill....while we can't do that.....because we do not know how to.

Totally agree with that Margaret,know a bit more with joining P C for Seniors but got a bit to expensive.Don't have it any more.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:02   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
bring back XP
Why ? where's it gone, I still have it, & use it to store, and process all my pictures of WW1.
All my main work is in a computer that still runs on DOS 6, and using a word processor call WordStar 6, I can use WordStar to create pages in a format thats impossible in any of gill bate's sh1te.
The most important thing in DOS, no bluudy time wasting mouse to bother about.
I also have another with windows 7, but thats a pain in the you know what, gave it to my daughter, she gave it me back, couldn't get her head round the crappy layout, and new phraseology they use, had it for more than a year, don't think its had 4 hours usage yet.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:10   #28
Beacon of light

Well, despite my initial misgivings I got used to windows 7....much easier than Vista....but it is personal choice. If it works, and does what you want it to do, then that is all that matters.
Sometimes I think there is as much computer snobbery about as wine snobbery.
You like, what you like....simple as.
Old 29-02-2012, 12:03   #29
Rest in Peace

Up date windows 8

Today is the day that Microsoft release the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
This isn't the finished Windows 8. To all accounts that will be launched around September/October. This is an early look at how it's shaping up.
It should be released U.S time which could be well into the evening here.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49   #30
Rest in Peace

Up Up Date Windows 8

To see Consumer Preview go to Microsoft Corporation: Software, Smartphones, Online, Games, Cloud Computing, IT Business Technology, Downloads and all will be revealed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..