Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 15:47   #91

Re: Windows Eight

Just leave it and till mick will tell you to be safe,
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2012, 17:47   #92
Senior Member+

Susie do you mean the bootscreen or the loginscreen?. I have two good tools for that. Here is a video demonstrating my HTPC booting 7 and going straight in to XBMC(I have been trying to hide that it is booting windows)

I just need a tool now to get rid of the "windows 7" at the bottom of the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It isn't user friendly and I find it difficult to navigate....now that makes me sound a bit like a numpty, but I'm not. It just feels like something that is 'unfinished'.
I can't explain it better than that. I hated it from the moment I switched it on........I never felt like that about any other OS....and I hadn't read bad reviews about it to colour my own opinion.
Yeah, 'unfinished' is a good way of putting it. 7 Is like the finished and polished version of vista.

There was lots of bugs too. For instance-- On Vista my 9600GT Video card fans wouldn't speed up when playing games. I had to use a program called RivaTuner to control the fan manually; otherwise the pc would freeze up.

Anybody that has used both Vista & 7 IMO should come up with the same conclusion.

Last edited by Restless; 07-04-2012 at 17:49.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 17:55   #93
God Member

Re RDP, I've always used "Tight VNC", easy to setup, works really well. Cross platform as well

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:42   #94
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Susie do you mean the bootscreen or the loginscreen?. I have two good tools for that. Here is a video demonstrating my HTPC booting 7 and going straight in to XBMC(I have been trying to hide that it is booting windows)

I just need a tool now to get rid of the "windows 7" at the bottom of the screen
Sorry Rob you've lost me - I've idea what you're on about!

All I wanted to do was put a favourite picture on my desktop as wallpaper and I've done it now.
Old 07-04-2012, 18:43   #95
Senior Member+

Not the same thing but. Have you tried synergy? that is cross platform too. Pretty cool software. Until I bought a wireless keyboard today I was using it to control my XBMC machine(windows7) with my desktop(ubuntu12.04) It allows you to move your mouse off the screen and onto another computers screen. Then you can use that computers keyboard & mouse with the one you are using.

Are you a gamer too? I have ODAMEX™ - Setting The Standard in Online Multiplayer Doom on my xbox1 you can play cross platform-- Xbox, Linux, Windows and Mac. Prob can be coded to work on other modified machines too.

It it a mod of the old game Doom. There are shareware .wad files so you don't have to worry about it being a pirated game.... Suprisingly not--Not a lot of people are playing it
Old 07-04-2012, 18:44   #96
Senior Member+

AH wasn't sure what you meant because you do not need software to do that

Watch the video you will see what I meant.

Edit: Just realised what version you're using... In windows starter is the option for personalisation of background disabled or not part of the system at all? I have never used it.

Right click background
Click personalise
Click desktop background
Browse for a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Sorry Rob you've lost me - I've idea what you're on about!

All I wanted to do was put a favourite picture on my desktop as wallpaper and I've done it now.

Last edited by Restless; 07-04-2012 at 18:48. Reason: pic as background
Old 07-04-2012, 18:47   #97
Resting In Peace

Quote:
AH wasn't sure what you meant because you do not need software to do that

Watch the video you will see what I meant.
I must be thick cos that video means nothing to me, sorry.

So how do I get the wallpaper on without software?

Last edited by susie123; 07-04-2012 at 18:50.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:59   #98
Senior Member+

Nah. I think you are just looking at it wrong

In the video I have turned on the HTPC. I used a program to chage the 'Windows 7 is loading' animation and the Windows 7 login screen. The green xbmc screen is the background on the desktop(it also uses that for the login screen too) Then XBMC is set to load automatically.

Right click background
Click personalise
Click desktop background
Browse for a pic.

Can you access this? I can actually see M$ leaving this option out of a basic windows. Its the kind of stupid thing they would do.
Also you can right click a picture and "set as desktop background" (should be able to)

EDIT: I have just been googling and it seems that It is a case of stupid Microsoft. Any particular reason you are using windows 7 starter?

Quote:
I must be thick cos that video means nothing to me, sorry.

So how do I get the wallpaper on without software?

Last edited by Restless; 07-04-2012 at 19:07.
Old 07-04-2012, 19:10   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Nah. I think you are just looking at it wrong

In the video I have turned on the HTPC. I used a program to chage the 'Windows 7 is loading' animation and the Windows 7 login screen. The green xbmc screen is the background on the desktop(it also uses that for the login screen too) Then XBMC is set to load automatically.

Right click background
Click personalise
Click desktop background
Browse for a pic.

Can you access this? I can actually see M$ leaving this option out of a basic windows. Its the kind of stupid thing they would do.

Also you can right click a picture and "set as desktop background" (should be able to)
Yes, I did say in post 89 I had Windows 7 starter, pre loaded on my netbook. They have disabled any wallpaper functions. The link I mentioned downloaded software that added the personalise option when you right click the desktop. I am just about bright enough to set a wallpaper if I'm given the option to do so!

Think your cat must be brighter than me cos I have no idea what HTPC and XBMC mean!

Apologies, must stop thread wandering, this is supposed to be about Windows Eight not 7.
Old 07-04-2012, 19:13   #100
Beacon of light

I think XBMC stands for Xbox media centre....HTPC = Home theatre PC maybe......I'm sure I will be corrected if I have got these wrong.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 19:15   #101
Senior Member+

Susie I didn't have any idea they would remove this option in windows starter. That's just how silly M$ is.

You can do it another way. But I don't recommend editing the registry manually unless you know what you are doing.

HTPC just means Home Theatre PC. And XBMC is media center software that started off on Xbox1 Xbox Media Center-- And moved onto PC's 10000000000000000000 times better than Windows Media Center.
Old 07-04-2012, 19:16   #102
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think XBMC stands for Xbox media centre....HTPC = Home theatre PC maybe......I'm sure I will be corrected if I have got these wrong.
Wow Margaret go to the top of the class for at least making a stab at them! I didn't know where to start!
Old 07-04-2012, 19:19   #103
Resting In Peace

Quote:
HTPC just means Home Theatre PC. And XBMC is media center software that started off on Xbox1 Xbox Media Center-- And moved onto PC's 10000000000000000000 times better than Windows Media Center.
Thanks Rob, and look Margaret - you did get it right!!

PS what's a media center?? PLEEEAASSE don't tell me - I don't really want to know!!

I've got my wallpaper so I'm happy now!
Old 07-04-2012, 19:24   #104
Senior Member+

Well you can buy them. But I preferred to make my own. I used to use xbox but though it is HD supported, ram and cpu power is old so...

* B U R N * D O W N * T H E * D I S C O *: Foobar2000 & XBMC4XBOX & more GoGearMuse ranting

Skip past the rant about my ipod and check the xbmc part

Quote:
Thanks Rob, and look Margaret - you did get it right!!

PS what's a media center?? PLEEEAASSE don't tell me - I don't really want to know!!

I've got my wallpaper so I'm happy now!
Old 07-04-2012, 20:45   #105
Beacon of light

It seems that new TV's have the potential to become media centre......they connect up to the internet, you can get films, music...you can look at your picture albums, TV and Radio programs so truly all the media you want in one place.

Anyway Sue glad you got your wallpaper - your needs are simple
Hey, and I'm not such a dummy eh!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..