Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 22:20   #1
God Member

Wireless Router

With my Sky account I got a wireless router, as of yet the only thing connected to it is my desktop. My grandaughters mate brought her lap-top round tonight but can't get it to connect.

My grandaughter spoke to Sky who told her to plug the router directly into the lap-top. She did this but still no joy. If you have a wireless router surely it should just connect? Am I right in my assumption? If not how do we get connected?? Please use easy instructions as I am hopeless with technical stuff
Old 01-08-2008, 22:41   #2

Re: Wireless Router

I take it your grand daughers mate has a wireless laptop?
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 22:42   #3
Senior Member+

Is the laptop wireless enabled? It has to be to be able to connect.

My Mac laptop detected the router automatically via Airport (Mac's wireless) and I just had to put in the password, which is on the bottom of the router.
Old 01-08-2008, 22:48   #4
God Member

The lap-top is wireless will try the password trick
Old 01-08-2008, 22:55   #5
Senior Member+

Just try connecting to the router via wireless and it throws up a request for a password. You'll find it on the bottom of the router.
Old 02-08-2008, 00:18   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Just try connecting to the router via wireless and it throws up a request for a password. You'll find it on the bottom of the router.
Think I have found the password on a card from Sky. Network key, is that the right one??
Old 02-08-2008, 07:14   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Think I have found the password on a card from Sky. Network key, is that the right one??
Yeah that's it. Sky send a card with the key on it, plus it's normally on the bottom of the router too.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:51   #8
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Not wanting to worry people but there is a bug in how SKY generate their network keys which means it can be guessed easily. You should change it where possible
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40   #9
God Member

Hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread Bernie but I have a similar problem...my son has connected to the internet through our Linksys wireless router no problem until I renewed my antivirus subs and now he can't get on, but I can't find anywhere in the antivirus that might be blocking him access. I have given permission for his IP and he can see the router but still can't get onto the internet

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:02   #10
I am Banned

if you have a wireless enabled laptop - make sure that the wireless connector is powered on ( usually a button near the power button with a symbol of a stick with a couple of soundwaves coming out from it - make sure it is lit up ) also on your actual wireless router there should be something that you press to tell the router to search for anything it can connect to ( mine is a live box and on the back has two buttons above a usb port - i have to press the first one to enable the linking process. Then it asks for the code/password.
Yours may be completely different but this post may be a bit of help
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:04   #11
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Lesley, when you say you updated your av subscription are you talking about the av on yours or his?

Secondly on his pc instead of using http://www.google.com, try using the ip address(use ping google.com in a dos box on a pc that works, i don't have ping on my phone to get one right now). This will test if its actually the connection or his dns that is borked. It could be that the av is blocking windows services which is what does the dns lookup.

Last edited by entwisi; 02-08-2008 at 11:08.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 18:32   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Google ip is 207.58.155.37
Old 02-08-2008, 18:58   #13
God Member

it's my av that I have renewed in fact it looks completely different!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05   #14
God Member

Which AV is it?
Old 03-08-2008, 23:01   #15
God Member

It's CA security centre

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..