Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2015, 19:25   #1
God Member

I'm surprised ...

that none of you football fans seem to be interested in the Women's World Cup ... the games are drawing record crowds over here. And the English girls play Norway tonite in Ottawa. Their first knockout round game. I'll be watching the game and cheering the lasses on. (If, by some chance, they should meet Canada ... well, I'll be wearing the Maple Leaf) I really hope they do well. They can't do any worse than that bunch of stumblebums who represented England in the last World Cup.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2015, 19:42   #2
Beacon of light

Re: I'm surprised ...

Himself has been watching and he has been shouting at the TV.....now I know nothing about football, but my impression is that he has found it interesting, exciting and this has surprised me because I thought he would be very critical of women's football.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 20:32   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not even remotely interested mate.
Old 22-06-2015, 20:37   #4
Beacon of light

Now, I thought that was what himself would say.
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 22:53   #5
God Member

England win Not something one heard often at the last world cup Great game too.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 22-06-2015, 23:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
England win Not something one heard often at the last world cup Great game too.
And a great winning goal!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 00:24   #7

Quote:
that none of you football fans seem to be interested in the Women's World Cup ... the games are drawing record crowds over here. And the English girls play Norway tonite in Ottawa. Their first knockout round game. I'll be watching the game and cheering the lasses on. (If, by some chance, they should meet Canada ... well, I'll be wearing the Maple Leaf) I really hope they do well. They can't do any worse than that bunch of stumblebums who represented England in the last World Cup.
Hubby gave up on the England men's team years ago.
We now wear the green and gold.
Our girls beat giants Brazil, and are now in the quarter final.
Eric likes this.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 00:40   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Hubby gave up on the England men's team years ago.
We now wear the green and gold.
Our girls beat giants Brazil, and are now in the quarter final.
Watched the game ... great entertainment ... great win. Canada, Australia and England all thru to the quarter finals. But now Canada and England meet in Vancouver. Time to put on the Maple Leaf.
Aussie Irene likes this.

Last edited by Eric; 23-06-2015 at 00:45.
Old 23-06-2015, 03:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not even remotely interested mate.
Cashy, don't be a chauvinist, that's what happens when you have forgotten how real football should be played.
Old 23-06-2015, 07:30   #10
Senior Member+

The ladies football was on in the background in Read con last week and I started to watch a bit.
I was surprised to see they played a decent game with some amount of skill.
I don't know what I was expecting, probably a bunch of cissies prancing about (like the men) but they were pretty good.
AccyMad and Aussie Irene like this.
Old 23-06-2015, 18:04   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I was surprised to see they played a decent game with some amount of skill.
I don't know what I was expecting, probably a bunch of cissies prancing about (like the men) but they were pretty good.
When did you last see an English team that played with some amount of skill? At least against real opposition. In Canada, our top football team is the women. Men, real men, lace up their skates, grab a stick, and hit the ice. One thing you can say about the women's game: it ain't all about money, and who can hand out the biggest bribes.

On Saturday, I will be cheering for Canada. But, whichever team wins is going to be my team for the rest of the tournament. And my third choice: Australia. Come on the Socceroos
Old 23-06-2015, 19:02   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

In Canada its not surprising the top team is the lasses, They have always been pretty crap at football the fellas yon.
Eric and Michael1954 like this.
Old 23-06-2015, 20:56   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
In Canada its not surprising the top team is the lasses, They have always been pretty crap at football the fellas yon.
Get back to me when you guys dominate your national sport, like we dominate ours. When was the last time England beat Germany 16-0?
Aussie Irene likes this.
Old 23-06-2015, 21:51   #14
God Member

Looks like the Vancouver game is sold out ... There will be 50,000 at the game ... and it promises to be a loud crowd.
Aussie Irene likes this.
Old 24-06-2015, 01:02   #15

Quote:
When did you last see an English team that played with some amount of skill? At least against real opposition. In Canada, our top football team is the women. Men, real men, lace up their skates, grab a stick, and hit the ice. One thing you can say about the women's game: it ain't all about money, and who can hand out the biggest bribes.

On Saturday, I will be cheering for Canada. But, whichever team wins is going to be my team for the rest of the tournament. And my third choice: Australia. Come on the Socceroos
Eric, our girls team are called the Matildas, the men are the socceroos.
Eric likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..