Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f87/)
-   -   I'm surprised ... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f87/im-surprised-67430.html)

Eric 22-06-2015 19:25

I'm surprised ...

that none of you football fans seem to be interested in the Women's World Cup ... the games are drawing record crowds over here. And the English girls play Norway tonite in Ottawa. Their first knockout round game. I'll be watching the game and cheering the lasses on. (If, by some chance, they should meet Canada ... well, I'll be wearing the Maple Leaf:D) I really hope they do well. They can't do any worse than that bunch of stumblebums who represented England in the last World Cup.

Margaret Pilkington 22-06-2015 19:42

Re: I'm surprised ...

Himself has been watching and he has been shouting at the TV.....now I know nothing about football, but my impression is that he has found it interesting, exciting and this has surprised me because I thought he would be very critical of women's football.

cashman 22-06-2015 20:32

Not even remotely interested mate.

Margaret Pilkington 22-06-2015 20:37

Now, I thought that was what himself would say.

Eric 22-06-2015 22:53

England win:alright: Not something one heard often at the last world cup:rolleyes: Great game too.

Michael1954 22-06-2015 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1143164)
England win:alright: Not something one heard often at the last world cup:rolleyes: Great game too.

And a great winning goal!

Aussie Irene 23-06-2015 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1143152)
that none of you football fans seem to be interested in the Women's World Cup ... the games are drawing record crowds over here. And the English girls play Norway tonite in Ottawa. Their first knockout round game. I'll be watching the game and cheering the lasses on. (If, by some chance, they should meet Canada ... well, I'll be wearing the Maple Leaf:D) I really hope they do well. They can't do any worse than that bunch of stumblebums who represented England in the last World Cup.

Hubby gave up on the England men's team years ago.
We now wear the green and gold.
Our girls beat giants Brazil, and are now in the quarter final.

Eric 23-06-2015 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1143168)
Hubby gave up on the England men's team years ago.
We now wear the green and gold.
Our girls beat giants Brazil, and are now in the quarter final.

Watched the game ... great entertainment ... great win.:alright: Canada, Australia and England all thru to the quarter finals.:theband: But now Canada and England meet in Vancouver. Time to put on the Maple Leaf.

Aussie Irene 23-06-2015 03:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1143159)
Not even remotely interested mate.

Cashy, don't be a chauvinist, that's what happens when you have forgotten how real football should be played. :D

Gremlin 23-06-2015 07:30

The ladies football was on in the background in Read con last week and I started to watch a bit.
I was surprised to see they played a decent game with some amount of skill.
I don't know what I was expecting, probably a bunch of cissies prancing about (like the men) but they were pretty good.

Eric 23-06-2015 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1143174)
I was surprised to see they played a decent game with some amount of skill.
I don't know what I was expecting, probably a bunch of cissies prancing about (like the men) but they were pretty good.

When did you last see an English team that played with some amount of skill? :rolleyes: At least against real opposition. In Canada, our top football team is the women. Men, real men, lace up their skates, grab a stick, and hit the ice. One thing you can say about the women's game: it ain't all about money, and who can hand out the biggest bribes.

On Saturday, I will be cheering for Canada. But, whichever team wins is going to be my team for the rest of the tournament.:D And my third choice: Australia.:alright: Come on the Socceroos:D

cashman 23-06-2015 19:02

In Canada its not surprising the top team is the lasses, They have always been pretty crap at football the fellas yon.:D

Eric 23-06-2015 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1143219)
In Canada its not surprising the top team is the lasses, They have always been pretty crap at football the fellas yon.:D

Get back to me when you guys dominate your national sport, like we dominate ours.:D When was the last time England beat Germany 16-0?

Eric 23-06-2015 21:51

Looks like the Vancouver game is sold out ... There will be 50,000 at the game ... and it promises to be a loud crowd.

Aussie Irene 24-06-2015 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1143212)
When did you last see an English team that played with some amount of skill? :rolleyes: At least against real opposition. In Canada, our top football team is the women. Men, real men, lace up their skates, grab a stick, and hit the ice. One thing you can say about the women's game: it ain't all about money, and who can hand out the biggest bribes.

On Saturday, I will be cheering for Canada. But, whichever team wins is going to be my team for the rest of the tournament.:D And my third choice: Australia.:alright: Come on the Socceroos:D

Eric, our girls team are called the Matildas, the men are the socceroos.