Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guinness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2015, 21:58   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Olympic Stadium Farce

Ok so I’m an embittered Rovers fan who’s chickens have come home to roost with FFP (pun totally intended)

But how the hell is this fair on every single football club or every football hating taxpayer…

BBC Sport - West Ham: Taxpayers to meet Olympic Stadium running costs

Pre-2012 all us Northern taxpayers were fed the guff of ‘legacy’ arising from spending our hard earned taxes…

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ublication.pdf

It’s ok ‘they’ said…all your money will go towards ‘sport for all’ and a ‘brighter future’ for the Olympians of 2016 and beyond…. ‘the great legacy of the Games would be to lever a nation of sport lovers away from their couches. The population would be fitter, healthier and produce more winners’.….well hey….guess what.. It was total nonsense and hype…

Golden promises of London 2012?s legacy turn out to be idle boasts | Owen Gibson | UK news | The Guardian

hell it didn’t even create the promised jobs….

The Olympic legacy has failed to bring jobs to London's East End | Rushanara Ali | Comment is free | The Guardian

It did however, give an unfair advantage to a football club based in the capital.

The British Raj plundered India and brought it back to the capital, Pizarro plundered the gold of the Aztecs and took it back to his capital, everybody and his brother did it to North America and brought it back to their respective capitals…

And they all tweaked their laws to make it legitimate…

And here we have Boris of London legitimising the raping of Northern taxes by giving an almost free stadium to a mediocre football club….

I want my money back you thieving southern nancies!
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 08-08-2015, 00:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Olympic Stadium Farce

Don't City play on what was originally the Commonwealth Games stadium?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:09   #3

If I'm not mistaken Barrie ( and I could very well be.). City did rent it off the council but have now bought it outright with all the work going on with the academy.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 21:20   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
If I'm not mistaken Barrie ( and I could very well be.). City did rent it off the council but have now bought it outright with all the work going on with the academy.
Think you are right Alan - remember a joke about them being the biggest council house tenants.
Old 08-08-2015, 22:34   #5

I remember that Barrie. Being Mancunian and spending most of my life in that area, I know what it was like before the commonwealth games. I remember Bradford pit, and Johnstones wireworks which were slap bang in the middle of that area. And one of my sons lives just around the corner from eastlands and having been there recently the area is unrecognisable the academy is massive.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:49   #6
Senior Member+

I have only been to City's ground once - to watch the All Blacks play the North West at Rugby - guess that was early '50s when of course it was Maine Rd then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..