Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

Accyexplorer 16-05-2015 17:20

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

7 Attachment(s)
I took my detecting stick out again today,after digging a lot of trash, i set my detector to coins and ended up pulled these old coins (and a button) out from about 3inch deep :alright:
Attachment 48835Attachment 48836Attachment 48837Attachment 48838Attachment 48839Attachment 48840Attachment 48841

Accyexplorer 31-05-2015 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
I took my detector up the coppice again today and struck gold (375) :alright:

I started around the trenches hoping for a old cap badge but grateful for anything.The first hour turned up nothing but old ring pulls and rubbish,then i heard a familiar tone (it was the coin tone) i quickly got out my trowel and began digging a hole.
About 3inches down there was a pound coin :) i ran my detector back over the hole and there it was again, clear as day, the same tone.
I began digging again and found another pound coin.
Then after about a hour of digging up more rubbish, a old penny and a old ship half penny, my detector made a tone i haven't heard before (8inch deep).
I started digging keen to see what it could be, after 10mins i was about to give up when there it was (my heart missed a beat :D ) a little gold band was just sitting at the bottom of the hole. :dancedog:

Attachment 49121

Aussie Irene 01-06-2015 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1141874)

I started around the trenches hoping for a old cap badge but grateful for anything.The first hour turned up nothing but old ring pulls and rubbish,then i heard a familiar tone (it was the coin tone) i quickly got out my trowel and began digging a hole.
About 3inches down there was a pound coin :) i ran my detector back over the hole and there it was again, clear as day, the same tone.
I began digging again and found another pound coin.
Then after about a hour of digging up more rubbish, a old penny and a old ship half penny, my detector made a tone i haven't heard before (8inch deep).
I started digging keen to see what it could be, after 10mins i was about to give up when there it was (my heart missed a beat :D ) a little gold band was just sitting at the bottom of the hole. :dancedog:

Attachment 49121

See Accy x, you did'nt need to come to Australia after all.:D

US Angel 03-06-2015 13:34

I guess there's gold in them there hills after all lol

Gordon Booth 05-06-2015 17:46

Quote:

Attachment 49121

If you clean it up and there are hallmarks on the inside a jeweller will be able to tell you how old it is.

Accyexplorer 05-06-2015 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1142128)
If you clean it up and there are hallmarks on the inside a jeweller will be able to tell you how old it is.

mid 1900s is my guess but i will take it to a jeweller next week to make sure :)

Accyexplorer 19-06-2015 17:45

10 Attachment(s)
Continuing my quest to find the Accrington hoard,i decided to take the metal detector for a walk again.
After digging several holes,unearthing nothing but ring pulls,bottle tops and tin foil ,the metal detector went off the scale.
As my heart beat got faster and my excitement grew, I carefully dug the area in anticipation of the treasure that I would soon behold. Suddenly, I felt a shudder as my trowel made contact with a metallic sounding object....

....Imagine my disappointment as I pulled out a ruddy old key :(
After setting it to just coins and adjusting the sensitivity the coins started rolling in (including a sterling silver shilling :D).

Attachment 49473Attachment 49474Attachment 49475Attachment 49476Attachment 49477Attachment 49478Attachment 49479Attachment 49480Attachment 49481Attachment 49482

Gordon Booth 19-06-2015 18:01

Did you find out how old the ring was?

Accyexplorer 19-06-2015 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1142992)
Did you find out how old the ring was?

No,not as yet...

.."Watch this space" as they say :)

Neil 20-06-2015 10:28

Quote:

I took my detector up the coppice again today and struck gold......

Do you have the required insurance and paperwork to be detecting on HBC land or is this another of your dodgy activities?

Accyexplorer 20-06-2015 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1143016)
Do you have the required insurance and paperwork to be detecting on HBC land or is this another of your dodgy activities?

I'm not sure I like what your suggesting N :D.
Of course,I have insurance it comes with being a (paid) member of the metal detecting council and I also have permission (in writing) to dig up coppice (and all parks) from HBC.
You should get a detector then we can arrange a dig in ryddings park or somewhere (assuming your paperwork is in order) ;)

Neil 21-06-2015 10:20

How recently did you get the HBC paperwork? I was reading the agreement last week as it's a recent thing.

Accyexplorer 21-06-2015 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1143048)
How recently did you get the HBC paperwork? I was reading the agreement last week as it's a recent thing.

HBC gave me the ok to dig up on the coppice about 3wks ago when I recieved my insurance paperwork from the detecting council.
I emailed them last week and asked for all the parks to be added to the list (which they did,no questions asked).
I've seen a few folk detecting on oak hill and Arden hall but Im unsure if they have found anything of interest because I was too shy to go over an ask :)

Gordon Booth 21-06-2015 14:49

I'm surprised they let metal detectors loose in the parks! You may be responsible but young uns seeing you may decide to have a go without permission and make a mess.
Do you have to do a bit of weeding while you're at it?:eek:

Accyexplorer 21-06-2015 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1143060)
I'm surprised they let metal detectors loose in the parks! You may be responsible but young uns seeing you may decide to have a go without permission and make a mess.
Do you have to do a bit of weeding while you're at it?:eek:

I'm surprised too,I thought it would of been a straight No (like other councils).
HBC seem ok with the fact I want to dig the town up :eek:...weeding is a optional extra :D