Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

disco 24-12-2015 16:05

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Ok
You are right and I am wrong.
Are you happy now

Now then what are your thoughts on the hollows on the top of Moleside or the snipe hole to the east of Mitchells. I guess you know all the history about those sites as well.

Also what was the flooded underground stone chamber that is at the very foot of the western side of Greater Hameldon used for.
Please can you tell me where the Elizabethan lead mines were situated on Hameldon. I would be very interested to hear where you think they were situated.

Mick 25-12-2015 06:17

If you want a history lesson please start a new thread this thread is about metal detecting only thanks

Accyexplorer 27-12-2015 17:09

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to get out on a local field for a couple of hours today,I found quite a few bits of trash at first but after a tweak the coins started rolling in including two silver shillings and a sixpence :)

Attachment 51754

disco 31-12-2015 22:41

i Guess you dont know as much as you thought about Hameldon after all

dotti34 01-01-2016 08:45

Sorry Mick, I know you want this thread to return to the subject of Metal Detecting but before it does I feel I must put my two bob’s worth in.

Not sure if you meant it to come across like it has, disco, but you do sound quite rude to Retlaw. If you have read previous threads and postings by him you will know he is a mine of information and extremely knowledgeable. He has helped many Accywebbers (including me).

Now perhaps, like Mick has requested, this thread can continue re metal detecting – which I for one am finding very interesting, mainly due to AccyX. You've certainly found lots of things AccyX - hope you find a real treasure trove soon.

dotti34 09-01-2016 04:41

AccyX, how's the metal detecting going? Hope you're keeping at it as you never know what might turn up. A rare 1894 dime coin recently sold in America for almost $2,000,000! Only 24 were minted so there's 23 still out there, though doubt they will be in the vicinity of Accrington...but there might be other treasures just waiting to be found. Am sure there are.

Keep detecting - and keep letting us know what you find.

Accyexplorer 09-01-2016 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1158229)
AccyX, how's the metal detecting going? Hope you're keeping at it as you never know what might turn up. A rare 1894 dime coin recently sold in America for almost $2,000,000! Only 24 were minted so there's 23 still out there, though doubt they will be in the vicinity of Accrington...but there might be other treasures just waiting to be found. Am sure there are.

Keep detecting - and keep letting us know what you find.

Thanks D,I'm glad your enjoying the thread,I wish Mrs E shared your enthusiasm for the hobby :D.

Sadly,due to the weather (and Mrs E),I haven't been out much lately.As soon as I do I'll be back trying to detect that Accrington hoard.
I've found coins from across the pond before so you never know, I may well stumble across one of them remaining 23 dimes.
I've tried researching the best places that could increase my chances of finding something of historical significance,under that old tree near that old Manor House etc,but I came to the conclusion you've got to have Lady Luck on your side because our landscapes have changed so much....

...watch this space :)

Accyexplorer 26-01-2016 07:33

1 Attachment(s)
Once again,I headed out yesterday with my detecting stick in search of lost artefacts that hold a key to our history and once again I came back with sod all apart from a few pre-decimal coins and some rubbish.
I'm not too bitter though (honestly) at least it was mild and I had a couple of hours in the fresh air.

The finds of note are:-
3 pennies (oldest is 1942)
2 half pennies (oldest 1938)
1 Shilling (1933)
1Sixpence (1922)
1 threepence (1953)
1 YHA badge (early-mid 1900s?)
1 Unknown (blank) button and one Unknown lead ring type object.

Attachment 51892

Accyexplorer 28-01-2016 14:13

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to have a hour or so on one of my local permissions this morning.
I started out finding nothing but the usual cans,bottle tops and ringpulls...

...then I realised I hadn't ground balanced the detecting stick correctly :rolleyes:.
Anyhow,with half hour of leisure time left ,I balanced the machine correctly and started finding some coinage :)

Items of note are:-

2 early 1900s pennies
2 old keyhole covers
1 1925 sixpence
1 unknown & corroded coin (I will see if it cleans up later)
1 1923 (wren) farthing and another "cats eye".

Attachment 51907

maxthecollie 28-01-2016 14:33

Is the object to the top right of your photo a cat's eye?

Accyexplorer 28-01-2016 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1159561)
Is the object to the top right of your photo a cat's eye?

Yes,inspired by the sight of car headlights being reflected in the eyes of a cat.
They could soon be a thing of the past if they allow the more modern solar led's.

Accyexplorer 31-01-2016 13:38

1 Attachment(s)
I took a stroll with the detecting stick across a local permission, the weather was horrid and the ground was very muddy.
The detecting gods produced a few bits for me including:-

3 old half pennies (1943,1920,1928)
2 old pennies ( 1939,1919)
1 old (military?) badge
1 corroded threepence,couple of buttons and a couple of unknown objects :)

Attachment 51942

DaveinGermany 31-01-2016 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1159901)
1 old (military?) badge

Aye, Lancs cap badge.

Accyexplorer 31-01-2016 13:44

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a better pic of the badge etc.

Attachment 51943

Accyexplorer 31-01-2016 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1159902)
Aye, Lancs cap badge.

Cheers D,a nice personal item :)