Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

DaveinGermany 05-04-2016 18:39

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1165580)
1 silver George V medal (someone must of been gutting losing).

British War Medal 1914-18, the details of the recipient should be engraved around the rim, might be worth looking at to see if you can trace the family. (Or if possible try to get hold of Retlaw & see if he can shed some light on it)

Accyexplorer 05-04-2016 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1165590)
British War Medal 1914-18, the details of the recipient should be engraved around the rim, might be worth looking at to see if you can trace the family. (Or if possible try to get hold of Retlaw & see if he can shed some light on it)

Your correct,there is a Name/No and regiment round the perimeter,it would be great to reunite it with the rightful owners family.
I believe Retlaw was banned,I wouldn't know how to contact him but perhaps a member is still in contact and they can PM me.

I wonder if it was discarded by the recipient because they didn't want reminding of the horrors of war,I heard quite a few medals were purposely thrown away for that very reason.

I think I'll have to dig a little deeper and do some detective research :)

DaveinGermany 06-04-2016 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1165605)
Your correct,there is a Name/No and regiment round the perimeter,it would be great to reunite it with the rightful owners family.

As a starter why not put the details up on here, you never know, maybe another member may have some information or even a connection, or even the local Accy museum in the Arndale (I think Retlaw frequents there on occasion).

Just a thought. :)

Accyexplorer 06-04-2016 17:48

1 Attachment(s)
The engraving around the perimeter says "26625 PTE J.BOND G.GDS"

Attachment 52797

I wonder if he was the original James Bond,there was quite a few records lost during WW2 and those that are left seem to be pay per view :)

gpick24 06-04-2016 18:36

The mighty Google found this - Medal card of Bond, Joseph Corps: Grenadier Guards Regiment No: 26625 ... | The National Archives

without a doubt this would be something for Retlaw.

DaveinGermany 06-04-2016 19:10

And this

findmypast.com

steve2qec 06-04-2016 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1165605)
I believe Retlaw was banned,I wouldn't know how to contact him but perhaps a member is still in contact and they can PM me.

I wonder if it was discarded by the recipient because they didn't want reminding of the horrors of war,I heard quite a few medals were purposely thrown away for that very reason.

I think I'll have to dig a little deeper and do some detective research :)

Retlaw often posts on this site: Great War Forum might be worth a try.

dotti34 07-04-2016 11:05

AccyX. Out of interest I have done a little bit of quick research and have found some things pertaining to the man I think just might be your Grenadier Guardsman, Joseph Bond, which I thought you would like to know. I am fairly certain this is the same Joseph as everything fits in.

He was a Private in WWI, joined the forces in September 1916 and had been to France. On April 13th 1918 his wife was notified he was missing. In December of that year, however, he was one of two Burnley soldiers who returned home. He had been in captivity near Essen and told some awful tales of the treatment he had received.

It seems that he actually lived in Sabden and before joining up was a gamekeeper for Mr. Starkie of Huntroyde. After he left the Guards he returned to being gamekeeper for this gentleman. He was still there in 1940 as there was a report of him catching a little owl – a rare bird in those parts, so rare that this actually made the news.

In 1918 the family address was 2a Heyhouses, Sabden. In 1932 his eldest daughter Catherine Muriel Bond married Herbert Parsons. That will give you something to go on.

I just hope I have followed the right man.

RainbowSix 07-04-2016 14:29

He also visits Rossendaleonline too.

Accyexplorer 07-04-2016 18:58

Thanks for the input folks,I am determined to reunite it with a family member of the recipient.
As it stands though I keep hitting dead ends,perhaps my new contact,a chap similar to Retlaw in many ways,can hopefully enlighten me.
I'm thinking of making a newspaper appeal to see if anyone comes forward.
What do you think? I wonder how many descendants Joseph will have when folk see a silver medal up for grabs?

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2016 20:50

I have been reliably informed that many WW1 medals are not in the hands of family members and that there are 1000's in cabinets at Fulwood.
I have also been asked to pass on the message that appealing in local papers may bring little or no success as this man was not from Greater Accrington.

I really don't know if people value the medals which belonged to the soldiers in either of the great wars.
You see these folk taking the medals along to Flog it and The Real Deal....and getting just a paltry amount.
To me this disrespects the medal and the man who fought for his country to get it.

Accyexplorer 07-04-2016 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1165727)
I have been reliably informed that many WW1 medals are not in the hands of family members and that there are 1000's in cabinets at Fulwood.
I have also been asked to pass on the message that appealing in local papers may bring little or no success as this man was not from Greater Accrington.

I really don't know if people value the medals which belonged to the soldiers in either of the great wars.
You see these folk taking the medals along to Flog it and The Real Deal....and getting just a paltry amount.
To me this disrespects the medal and the man who fought for his country to get it.

I agree M,you can't put a price on something like a medal,something many didn't even get the chance to celebrate.
For me,reuniting it with a family member would beat any monetary gain so it won't be going up for sale (by me).

As I mentioned previously many medal were discarded by the soliders and also a large amount were sold as scrap and melted down.
I think around 4million of these particular medals were issued,giving a scary insight into the scale of the war.

If it was my relatives medal, I'd walk to Fulwood for the chance to have it in my possession.

dotti34 08-04-2016 01:08

Again assuming I am on the right Joseph, using Lancashire BMD as a quick check I have found that there was also a son as well as daughter Catherine Muriel. This was Frank born in 1907 in Padiham. He married Elsie Birtwell in 1934 in Sabden. Joseph's wife's maiden name was Parkincoates but unfortunately I haven't been able to trace any children of either Catherine's or Frank's, which is not to say there weren't any of course.

I'm afraid this isn't going to be much help to you, but I'll keep checking. Thank goodness for the Internet!

Margaret Pilkington 08-04-2016 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1165734)
I agree M,you can't put a price on something like a medal,something many didn't even get the chance to celebrate.
For me,reuniting it with a family member would beat any monetary gain so it won't be going up for sale (by me).

If it was my relatives medal, I'd walk to Fulwood for the chance to have it in my possession.

Jason, all power to your elbow.
I hope you are successful and that the family(when you find them) value your efforts and treasure the medal won by their relative.

Accyexplorer 08-04-2016 12:52

I think its time to see what the 'power of the media' can produce....watch this space ;)