Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

Accyexplorer 17-05-2016 09:53

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

Ive had a hound for donkeys years, I'm obviously not as posh as some folk :D, all I've ever had is the engraved discs.
It took quite a bit of work to get open so that suggests it may of been in the ground some time.
I thought it was some sort of counterweight :o.

Accyexplorer 17-05-2016 10:00

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1167382)
it would be good if Jason found something for himself

Here is a pic of 'some' of my finds,I haven't done too bad M,I think I've covered my battery costs :).

Attachment 53081

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2016 10:29

a good collection there Jason....and you have had the pleasure of being out and about doing something you obviously enjoy...that is priceless.

Accyexplorer 26-05-2016 11:35

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I decided to take the detecting stick out yesterday for a little hunt on a local permission.
It wasn't long before these two squires came over to watch as I dug out a little "coin spill" (about £3.40).

They were loving it,they told me they had never seen anyone metal detecting before so I gave them a old penny each to take home.

Then as we were talking about old coins etc I got a really strong signal which told me one thing,"it's a coin" I said.
Their eyes grew larger as they gathered around anticipating what was about to come out the ground.
I dug it and 2 old pennies popped out and they was like "wooooow".These guys couldn't believe it,they were blown away.
I continued detecting and giving these two fellas a history lesson,they couldn't believe the bits that I was finding.
I bet those two never look at a field the same way again,they are now not only hooked on history but metal detecting too :)

The finds of note are:-

5 old pennies
4 £1 coins
2 old (ship) half pennies
2 20p coins
1 rotten farthing
1 (clock winder?) item with ornate top
1 love heart tag/pendant
1 ornate button
1 circular ornate (brooch?) item
1 square chest plate for a dog/horse harness.

Attachment 53170

Less 26-05-2016 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1169544)
Well, I decided to take the detecting stick out yesterday for a little hunt on a local permission.
It wasn't long before these two squires came over to watch as I dug out a little "coin spill" (about £3.40).

They were loving it,they told me they had never seen anyone metal detecting before so I gave them a old penny each to take home.

Then as we were talking about old coins etc I got a really strong signal which told me one thing,"it's a coin" I said.
Their eyes grew larger as they gathered around anticipating what was about to come out the ground.
I dug it and 2 old pennies popped out and they was like "wooooow".These guys couldn't believe it,they were blown away.
I continued detecting and giving these two fellas a history lesson,they couldn't believe the bits that I was finding.
I bet those two never look at a field the same way again,they are now not only hooked on history but metal detecting too :)

The finds of note are:-

5 old pennies
4 £1 coins
2 old (ship) half pennies
2 20p coins
1 rotten farthing
1 (clock winder?) item with ornate top
1 love heart tag/pendant
1 ornate button
1 circular ornate (brooch?) item
1 square chest plate for a dog/horse harness.

Attachment 53170

Got to admit, two things,

1. I've been getting alot of dirty 2 and 5p coins in my change since you been detecting.

2. I bought a detector when I retired to use on the beach whenever I go Blackpool, that it seems is a no, no, without permits and paying the crown.

Just wondering, what do I need to legally do to be permitted to do as you are doing?

Accyexplorer 26-05-2016 18:49

It depends what you mean by 'do as I'm doing',all you really need is a detector,spade and a understanding landowner.

It helps,if you are going "cold calling" for permission to detect,if you have appropriate insurance too:-

Membership

I have permission from local councils to detect on certain open spaces (parks etc) as well as permission (from "cold calling") off some local farmers.

Though I've never been,I also have a permit from the crown estates to detect on certain parts of the foreshore (not Bpool that would be down to local council).

it's free if you want to apply:- http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rura...t-application/

Also,I keep all my spendable coppers in a jar,if it was £1,£2 coins I'd be guilty ;)

Less 27-05-2016 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1169574)
It depends what you mean by 'do as I'm doing',all you really need is a detector,spade and a understanding landowner.

It helps,if you are going "cold calling" for permission to detect,if you have appropriate insurance too:-

Membership

I have permission from local councils to detect on certain open spaces (parks etc) as well as permission (from "cold calling") off some local farmers.

Though I've never been,I also have a permit from the crown estates to detect on certain parts of the foreshore (not Bpool that would be down to local council).

it's free if you want to apply:- http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rura...t-application/

Also,I keep all my spendable coppers in a jar,if it was £1,£2 coins I'd be guilty ;)

Thanks for that, I had already got the permit for crown estate it was only when I got to B'pool I discovered that the beaches weren't covered by that.

I was told it was owned by the duchy of lancaster and permits from them are around £50 per year.

Accyexplorer 14-09-2016 06:23

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few bits from a detecting session I did the other day:-

Attachment 54279

I'm planning on going out detecting later too....watch this space :)

Accyexplorer 14-09-2016 18:20

1 Attachment(s)
Today,I decided to spend the day detecting on a new farm permission near Burnley.
The weather was stifling,but I soldered on and found a few interesting bits which included:-

1 old sink plug
1 ornate drawer handle
1 commemorative Lizzy medallion
1 Robertson's jam esquire (from the non PC madness era)
4 buckles
£2.20 in spendable change and a few pre-decimal coins (including a George 3rd)

Attachment 54280

Accyexplorer 14-09-2016 21:49

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone shed some light on what this plaque is off?

Attachment 54281

Gordon Booth 14-09-2016 22:14

www.cottontown.org | Rishton Colliery
I'll guess that was an identity plate riveted to a sack to confirm it held 1 CWT of coal when full.
Thats possibly how they sold it to the local coal merchants.

Accyexplorer 16-09-2016 06:56

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to call on the forums ID skills again with this one,can anyone help shed some light on this button I found the other day?

Attachment 54282

taddy 16-09-2016 19:30

Obviously a blue peter badge with John Noaks saying "Down Shep".
:dancedog::

Accyexplorer 24-09-2016 06:00

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to have a couple of hours swinging the detecting stick yesterday,I didn't find much of any interest (the usual pre decimal coins etc).
I did however find enough spendable pocket change for some new batteries :D.

Attachment 54371

DaveinGermany 24-09-2016 09:59

Mate, you should display your "Treasure" on a neutral background, that one was hard on the old eyeballs. :)