Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Grass Roots (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/)
-   -   Metal Detecting (Including Finds). (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f88/metal-detecting-including-finds-67211.html)

Turtle 13-02-2016 22:04

Re: Metal Detecting (Including Finds).

That's a really interesting find! I zoomed in and I swear I can see duck's heads on each of the 'arms'. It certainly does look like that Tibetan object, though, so the ducks aren't likely.

Accyexplorer 14-02-2016 09:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1161104)
That's a really interesting find! I zoomed in and I swear I can see duck's heads on each of the 'arms'. It certainly does look like that Tibetan object, though, so the ducks aren't likely.

Very observant T,I hadn't noticed them till you said,there are 4 on each arm....they certainly look like ducks :).

Attachment 52065

Turtle 14-02-2016 22:23

Just my imagination LOL

disco 16-02-2016 08:45

Hi Accyexplorer
Just thought you might like to know I was out detecting yesterday, only the third time this year due to the weather.
Anyway I stayed local and went on the Coppice and around the lodges. At first it was just the usual Victorian pennies and half pennies I was finding.
The first interesting item to come up was a medieval lead spindle whorl, I was well chuffed to find something so old on my own doorstep. The next item I found was a Queen Elizabeth 1st silver shilling very pleased indeed. The coin is very worn and I cannot make out the date but I can definitely identify it as Queen Elizabeth 1st, it would have been stamped sometime between 1558-1603.

Sorry I still cant get any pictures on here yet. maybe when i get time i will sit down and figure it out

You probably think I am making this up but the first time out this year I found a gents gold ID bracelett. It was worth £235

Second time out I was near Clitheroe Castle and i found nothing

Accyexplorer 16-02-2016 14:14

Hi disco,Sounds like you had a good day,I've done round the lodges myself but only found (s)crap and a few pre-decimal coins (1900s).
I'd like to see pics of your finds when you have the time to figure out the uploading process.
I have no reason to doubt you when you say you found a gold bracelet....Nice one :)

Accyexplorer 16-02-2016 14:22

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to take the detecting stick for another walk across my new pastured permission today.
It was a bit brass at first till I found another military cap badge then I soon forgot about the cold and ended up finding a little cross pedant (probably gold plated originally) and what I thought was a gold brooch.....sadly,it was just gold in colour (no hallmark....AGAIN) :(

Attachment 52101

Accyexplorer 17-02-2016 16:42

1 Attachment(s)
No prizes for guessing where I went today (local pasture permission),the weather was terrible and the finds were not far behind till 'BOOM' out popped a 'gold' ring (hallmarked) :alright:
I also found a couple of Georgey porgey pennies and a medieval mobile phone :D

Attachment 52113

Accyexplorer 17-02-2016 22:06

UPDATE

The ring turned out to be a Vintage 'Gold Plated' Sterling Silver JHW Signet ring (2.1g),there is one currently selling at £21 on a well known auction site....

...The phone turned out to be a (none working) old Nokia (not medieval).....

...the search continues.

Accyexplorer 18-02-2016 16:34

1 Attachment(s)
When I awoke this morning I noticed a bright light in the sky,I assumed this was a sign from the detecting gods,it turned out to be just the sun.
Anyhow,I decided to have a hour or so on my new permission,it turned up quite a few bits including a (925) silver ring :dancedog:

The finds of note are:-

3 old half pennies
2 belt buckles
2 pound coins
1 two pound coin
1 silver ring

Attachment 52133

Turtle 18-02-2016 20:49

Ooh I hope it's not someone's wedding band. Even being silver, it could be that.
Makes me think of all those precious items of mine that went missing. Did they fall off down to the ground somewhere? Still, better found, and appreciated by an intrepid metal- detectionist :)

Accyexplorer 19-02-2016 13:42

Yes,I thought the same,it does look like a wedding band.
Maybe a couple had a domestic dispute and he tossed it onto my permission in a moment of rage :confused:
It would be nice to reunite it with its rightful owner (as would a few other items I've found) :)

Accyexplorer 21-02-2016 10:20

1 Attachment(s)
Today I decided to have a stroll in the wind and rain with my detecting stick.
The ground was saturated and extremely muddy.

At first it was modern pocket change then out popped a few pre-decimals,a buckle and a (Celtic?) coin with a cross on it.
I'll tell you what,you can't beat the feeling of walking across a field,detector in hand,and within a couple hours your holding coins and other objects from our past.I'm probably the first person to hold them older coins in 50+years....it gives you a buzz :dancedog:

Attachment 52163

DaveinGermany 21-02-2016 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1161732)
a (Celtic?) coin with a cross on it.

What's on the reverse of the coin with the cross? And can you tell what the "coin" is made of?

Accyexplorer 21-02-2016 14:13

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1161745)
What's on the reverse of the coin with the cross? And can you tell what the "coin" is made of?

It's not made of lead,silver,platinum or gold and it doesn't look like copper,bronze,tin or iron :confused:

Attachment 52165

DaveinGermany 21-02-2016 14:46

I think you may need to do a rubbing to pick up details of the reverse side, but it appears to resemble a "Spanish cob". But as it's not a precious metal it's more likely "tourist tat".

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-data/cq_ro/response_graphics/exano_1736_fake.jpg