Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lancsdave

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2013, 15:19   #1

1960 pop group

Help! I,m completely new to this kind of thing & just feeling my way around.For years I,ve wanted to know the name of a 1960,s pop group that the missus & me saw a few times.Mainly saw him at Hill Stores in Oldham,where I,m originally from.Bumped into him working as a salesman for NCR in Burnley(I was a cash register engineer) & I think his real name is Tony Holgate & his wife had a hairdressing salon in Burnley.He was a good looking guy & as this attracted lots of girls us guys loved it.The group name followed the same pattern as "Johnny Kidd & the Pirates". Like searching for a needle in a haystack I know but can only hope someone out there can help.Came upon this website googling 1960,s pop groups & I think it looks terrific.
1961 School Leaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2013, 15:35   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 1960 pop group

Have a look in Nostalgia Section mate, Theres a thread 1960s accy pop groups theres loads of stuff mentioned on yon, it may help.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...60s-42082.html
Old 23-04-2013, 15:40   #3
God Member

What about this one ?

Kris Ryan and The Questions on Manchesterbeat - the group and music scene of Manchester in the 60s
cashman and Stevie R like this.
Old 23-04-2013, 15:41   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Looks like yeh nailed it dave.
Old 24-04-2013, 00:15   #5

Hi 1961 School leaver--Does Jonney Luther and the Ravens ring any bells ? I was piano with this very popular group in the late 50s and early 60s...We got the dots for the weeks No 1 hit, rehearsed it on Sunday AM, and performed it the following Saturday....East lancs was one of our most popular trawles.....Happy days.....Tony
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:29   #6

Thanks guys for your responses-it was Kris Ryan & the Questions ;found it out last Thurs night in a Shipley curry house when one of my fellow West Yorks Clarets googled it on his i-phone under "tony holgate"music-simples but my excuse is stupidity.Sorry but Jonney Luther & the Ravens does,nt ring any bells and whilst I,m not an anorak the 60,s seemed pretty exciting.Every generation comes to music anew & I,m not claiming any era is or was better than another.
1961 School Leaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 08:56   #7
Resting in Peace

No but the 60s was a great and probably the best time for music
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..