Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunflower49

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 19:11   #1

Leonard Cohen

Continuation from the buy/sell section!

I have loved Leonard Cohen for as long as I remember. I know a lot of people find him too melancholy , and he is aged now, but he's one of those iconic singers that have always featured in my life. I have never seen him and it is relevant I am rather annoyed that I now have tickets I cannot put to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Thanks for that Margaret . I did look on You Tube to see him sing Halleluia ( I think ) and can honestly say I have never seen him before . Obviously he is famous and has his fans . Funny enough his photo was on a quiz sheet this week and none of us 7 knew recognised him .
Since I have had these tickets to sell, it isn't surprising. Obviously I asked friends and family first-and I got a lot of 'WHO?!' And it did shock me then. I feel as if I have always known of him-I can't remember when I began listening to him but I was only young. I guess it depends what sort of music you are into as to whether you would ever have him mentioned to you. He isn't to everyone's taste but I did expect people to have heard of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Sugarmouse is this Leonard Cohen ???? the one on You Tube was an old white guy.
No, sorry for confusion Greeny-I only put that GIF to demonstrate my face when I read your post!It was EXACTLY like that, honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Greeny....here is a link to info about Leonard Cohen...and yes he is an old white guy.
He has written some beautiful songs.....and Yes Halleluja is one of them.
One of my favourites is 'I'm Your Man'...but sung by Michael Buble.

Leonard Cohen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks Margaret.
I love Hallalujah but only Cohen's version and the cover that Bon Jovi did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Is he any good at cutting his own hair?

for those of you unsure check out the film Bowfinger, it is rather good!

Love Famous Blue raincoat and of course Tower of song, heck anything by him is great, Dance me to the end of love is one of those songs that makes me go all emotional
Tower of song is amazing-one of my favourites. Even though some of his stuff makes me cry, it isn't with sadness. I tend to like 'depressing' music , I am sure somebody began a thread about that fact a while back! I don't find poignant music depressing, even if it makes me cry lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I heard him singing Hallelujah on the radio a few years ago and was hooked on him from then on.
Is there no body to take with you rather than miss out?
I can't go because of attending my friend's wedding-I would go on my own if I had to but I can't miss my friend's wedding, people have suggested I do both but I'd feel rude leaving half way through-plus the gig begins at 6 and the wedding breakfast isn't until 16:30 (and in Chorley!) So it really isn't possible.

I do feel daft because I rarely treat myself to things like this, It's the first time in a while. I couldn't have predicted it though-my friend has changed her wedding date once already and she sent the invitations out very late.
Eric likes this.

Last edited by Sunflower49; 05-09-2013 at 19:14.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Leonard Cohen

Reminds me of my brother, a senior member of Crickets Barmy Army.
My sister remarried years after her first husband died and the wedding with all the entertainment, meal and evening party was held at Victoria Hall , Saltaire mills.
My brother said he was very lucky that England were playing cricket at Leeds so he could attend the evening part of the Wedding festival. Then he stayed in a nearby hotel and got a taxi back to the match the following morning.

My brother didn't feel daft rushing away from cricket just after the last ball had been send down instead of staying and getting merry with his mates.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58   #4
Beacon of light

I suppose he is an 'acquired taste'....a bit like Bob Dylan.
I used to play Dylan records until I wore them out when I was 16/17....my dad hated him...he said he couldn't sing for toffee, but I liked him a lot.......and still do.

Both artists must be good since so many other singers have used the songs of both of these men.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56   #5
God Member

Quote:
I suppose he is an 'acquired taste'....
Most Canadians are And so is seal flipper pie There have been some great covers of his songs. This is one of my faves:

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 13:59   #6

Quote:
I suppose he is an 'acquired taste'....a bit like Bob Dylan.
I used to play Dylan records until I wore them out when I was 16/17....my dad hated him...he said he couldn't sing for toffee, but I liked him a lot.......and still do.

Both artists must be good since so many other singers have used the songs of both of these men.
I love Dylan , seen him several times-but whenever/wherever I play him I get mucky looks from whoever else can hear, I find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Most Canadians are And so is seal flipper pie There have been some great covers of his songs. This is one of my faves:

I haven't heard that until now
Old 09-09-2013, 17:52   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I haven't heard that until now

Well, if you liked that, this is the two of them together. I think it's called a duet

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..