Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2012, 15:17   #1
Rest in Peace

Orchestras

I would think most people using the web are interested in music be it modern or the old stuff. My music library is more 50s--70s something I can make sense of, I do have a lot of cd with orchestra's on,such as James Last,Mantovani,Percy Faith,Mancini, Kaempfert. But to get to the point which I want to mention for anyone interested in this sort of music is a orchestra which I knew about but never tried until now,that is Frank Chacksfield and his orchestra cd entitled Thanks For The Memories (The Academy Award Winners) cost £2.99 free post.
Excellent cd different from those mentioned makes you sit up and listen.
I will be buying more of his music. By the way a very successful British orchestra-- big hits here and USA Limelight,and Ebb Tide
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2012, 16:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Orchestras

Now we are talking real music. In my teens I was in the Sid Phillips Fanj Clkub aftrer seeing his band at King george's Hall, Blackburn. Up- the Con I saw Ken Mackintosh, Harry Gold & his Pieces of Eight and (I think) Joe Loss's orchestra, though the one that impressed me most was The Saints Jazzband, a Manchester outfit.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 17:12   #3
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Now we are talking real music. In my teens I was in the Sid Phillips Fanj Clkub aftrer seeing his band at King george's Hall, Blackburn. Up- the Con I saw Ken Mackintosh, Harry Gold & his Pieces of Eight and (I think) Joe Loss's orchestra, though the one that impressed me most was The Saints Jazzband, a Manchester outfit.
I have a couple of Sid Phillips cds and forgot to mention Syd Lawrence,but really taken back with F Chacksfield

Ps enjoy Conniff, Riddle, May.and Miller also the big bands.
Old 28-05-2012, 09:11   #4
Resting in Peace

I went to see James Last in Manchester, he was something different and his music was ideal for parties at the time, he's actually still going so I believe, don't think its that long since he was on Breakfast TV
Old 28-05-2012, 14:03   #5
Rest in Peace

Well Bob it dosen't look like we are going to educate many Accy webbers
to appreciating good music,they have all been indoctrinated with todays so called music.
Old 28-05-2012, 18:00   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
to appreciating good music,they have all been indoctrinated with todays so called music.
I listen to opera quite a lot, well lite opera that is, I've been a big fan of the Savoy Opera's since I was a teenager, infact I appeared in two Pirates and The Gondeleers, and worked back stage on another two the Mikido and Iolanthy, SO are on the Arts Channel on Sky quite regularly
Old 28-05-2012, 18:27   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I listen to opera quite a lot, well lite opera that is, I've been a big fan of the Savoy Opera's since I was a teenager, infact I appeared in two Pirates and The Gondeleers, and worked back stage on another two the Mikido and Iolanthy, SO are on the Arts Channel on Sky quite regularly
How refreshing to hear that John, I like G&S as well. I also like grand opera, the heavier stuff. A few weeks ago on BBC2 there was a prog called Maestro at the Opera where 4 "celebs" were given a crash course in conducting and one of them went on to conduct at Covent Garden. Sounds naff but it was very entertaining and made me realise how much I miss my fix of going to see opera live which I used to do when I lived in the south and the midlands.

PS I can imagine you as a gondolier or a pirate!!
Old 28-05-2012, 19:02   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
How refreshing to hear that John, I like G&S as well. I also like grand opera, the heavier stuff. A few weeks ago on BBC2 there was a prog called Maestro at the Opera where 4 "celebs" were given a crash course in conducting and one of them went on to conduct at Covent Garden. Sounds naff but it was very entertaining and made me realise how much I miss my fix of going to see opera live which I used to do when I lived in the south and the midlands.

PS I can imagine you as a gondolier or a pirate!!
Neither susie a Marine with a Red Suit and a tall white helmet plus enfield 303 which we needed a licence for, they were heavy, that was in Pinafore, and a Palace Guard in The Gondoliers, got mixed up was back stage for Pirates and on the lighting, I was back stage for 3 not two, but it was great fun and has had me hooked for life. Actually I have an old vinyl album recorded live during a performance at Ossy town by St. Marys Amateurs there were only 80 copies ever made
Old 28-05-2012, 19:39   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Get outta here, Claytonx, I know about big bands you've never even heard of!

Old 28-05-2012, 19:45   #10
Rest in Peace

Hurrah, there coming out of the woodwork or should I say Opera house.
Shiver mi timbers, John don't tell Cashman you have been a pirate you'll never live it down.
Old 28-05-2012, 19:59   #11
Super Moderator

Old 28-05-2012, 20:02   #12
Super Moderator

Old 28-05-2012, 21:30   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Neither susie a Marine with a Red Suit and a tall white helmet plus enfield 303 which we needed a licence for, they were heavy, that was in Pinafore, and a Palace Guard in The Gondoliers, got mixed up was back stage for Pirates and on the lighting, I was back stage for 3 not two, but it was great fun and has had me hooked for life. Actually I have an old vinyl album recorded live during a performance at Ossy town by St. Marys Amateurs there were only 80 copies ever made
You obviously enjoyed it John, though I will have to revise my mental pictures somewhat.

I've never done musical theatre though I have sung in choirs and have done a lot of am dram, some of which involved songs. I just love performing and I do miss it. Been in some really good groups and since I had to leave them because of moving never found any others to match up.

I've also got a rare vinyl - my university choir doing a very rarely performed oratorio by Dvorak!
Old 28-05-2012, 21:31   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Old 28-05-2012, 22:04   #15
Super Moderator

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..