Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Stanley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/)
-   -   The final run in. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f93/the-final-run-in-69829.html)

cashman 11-02-2018 10:31

The final run in.

Down to the last 15 games now, its gonna be very tight imho, I reckon if we win 9 of those 15, we will win promotion.aint gonna be easy, by any stretch, but its do-able. what do others think? on paper our last 7 are very tough.

Gremlin 11-02-2018 11:45

Re: The final run in.

I guess it’s getting near ‘twitchy bum’ time.

cashman 11-02-2018 11:54

dont believe in crap like that mate, i know what i'm watching and we got a damn good shot at this.:)

Twenty Eight 11-02-2018 12:12

85 points secures promotion
Win 8 draw 4 lose 3.
Same for everybody else though.
All about who copes with the pressure.

Chrisr 11-02-2018 12:17

Promotion is as much ours to lose as to win. It is too tight to call yet, we still have a game in hand. It is up to us all to do our bit. The players, the management, The fans. Together we can drag us over the line.

andyd 11-02-2018 13:56

Confidence is the key to me and we looked full of it yesterday in front of the huge library attendance and we as fans played our part superbly if we repeat it till the season end we will carry everyone over the line.

VALAIRIAN 11-02-2018 14:43

Really would like to see(hear)the Ultras back to their loud and proud best.... :)

The noise that used to roar out from the Clayton End, was part of our success in recent years :)

:) :) :)

Lord Stiffupperlip 11-02-2018 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1208576)
Down to the last 15 games now, its gonna be very tight imho, I reckon if we win 9 of those 15, we will win promotion.aint gonna be easy, by any stretch, but its do-able. what do others think? on paper our last 7 are very tough.

The last 7 matches will certainly sort the men from the boys.
I think yesterday proved that the bigger they come - the harder they fall!
Strangely, it's the games against the desperate that I fear most - Crewe, Barnet, FGR, Morecambe etc.
These are the games that will decide our fate.
We should fear no one in the top 7 - they fear us!

cashman 11-02-2018 15:30

I am of the opinion Yer Lordship. anyone can beat anyone on the day in Div 2,look how Crawley have improved from relegation candidates to play off candidates.:)

Exile on Spencer St 11-02-2018 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip (Post 1208603)
?.. it's the games against the desperate that I fear most.... Barnet,

Not least because of their current manager. How desperate does a club have to be to appoint him?

anmc 11-02-2018 15:42

Taking of singing, I have really enjoyed hearing "Cart On Stanley" on the tannoy recently. Any chance of the Ultras making it into a chant?

cashman 11-02-2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1208608)
Not least because of their current manager. How desperate does a club have to be to appoint him?

Sod that get we will blow him away with our confidence now imho.

AccyMad 11-02-2018 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St (Post 1208608)

If they'd waited till today they could've had Russell Slade - just been sacked by Grimsby

Lord Didsbury 11-02-2018 15:53

I’d say we are 90% sure to go up. Only Wycombe are improving like we are. Notts Co, Swindon, Cov, Exeter are not good or consistent enough. Only Mansfield is a threat.

It’s going to finish thus:
Luton
Stanley
Wycombe
Mansfield
Exeter

Lord Didsbury 11-02-2018 15:58

You can get odds of 10/13 at the moment on Stanley being promoted. That’s pretty generous I’d say.

football19 11-02-2018 16:39

I genuinely believe it’s Accis time.
We’ve experienced the pressure before and this will help.
Only Luton have shown any real challenge to us and they seem to be wobbling.
We have a good blend of youth and experience,coupled with strength in depth should see us over the line KTF

Lord Stiffupperlip 11-02-2018 20:02

Tuesday night sees Wycombe v Swindon + Luton v Crawley.
It's absolutely vital we get another 3 points against Crewe.
People of Accrington, the destiny of your club is in your hands.
Now is the time we need your support.
To the loyal brigade - bring your Grandad, bring your Mother, bring your Grandkids, bring your brother.
PLEASE! If you love football - make the difference.

cashman 11-02-2018 20:33

Sorry mate i have no-one lives local, or i would drag em by scruff of the neck.

Lord Stiffupperlip 11-02-2018 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1208622)
Sorry mate i have no-one lives local, or i would drag em by scruff of the neck.

Cashy! This calls for desperate measures.
Just grab anyone by the scruff of the neck & march em to the ground.

ossy kid 12-02-2018 01:34

As you say Cashy, anybody can beat anybody on a given day but the way the lads are playing, full of confidence, supporting each other and strength all over the field with a never give up attitude, I think this is truly their/our year. As long as management can keep them on their toes I think we could even overcome the "Kettle"
I'm making this assumption from all the reports on here and how can it be wrong with all that knowledge. Roll on Tuesday.

monkey hanger 12-02-2018 08:06

still a long way to go yet. every dog has its day and our stanley dog given equal luck and bounce of the ball can do it this season. couldn,t care less where we finish as long as its above 4th.

cashman 20-02-2018 19:22

Notts County just gone 1 down at Cambridge, lets hope this continues.

mab 20-02-2018 19:34

Crwho 0-0 Exeter at the mo

Tom D 20-02-2018 20:38

Crewe just scored in the 88th, cambridge have beaten notts county - two good results against our rivals at the top of the league

Tom D 20-02-2018 20:41

Spoke too soon - 1-1 exeter equalised

cashman 20-02-2018 20:42

Exeter equalise in injury time, but no big deal.:) Jeez Exeter now won 2-1

AccyMad 20-02-2018 21:12

Even with that win Exeter are still 7 points behind us, the Notts County loss is brilliant for us -hope it doesn't give Cambridge confidence for Saturday though :rolleyes:

cashman 21-02-2018 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1209107)
Even with that win Exeter are still 7 points behind us, the Notts County loss is brilliant for us -hope it doesn't give Cambridge confidence for Saturday though :rolleyes:

Hope not, but they got a decent Home record, aways crap, lets hope it continues.;)

Twenty Eight 21-02-2018 18:31

Why be remotely interested in anyone else ?
13 games. 7 at home. 23 points needed.
If we don't get over the line ..........

AccyMad 21-02-2018 18:59

Doesn't do any harm to keep one eye on what's going on around us though . . . . . .

Twenty Eight 21-02-2018 20:10

Disagree. Focus on what you can do .... not what might happen.

AccyMad 21-02-2018 20:33

Ah, but you see I'm female & so can do both (aka multi-tasking) :)

MikeA 21-02-2018 20:43

This very fair Stevenage blog reckons that we'll have our 'moment in the sun':
Accrington Stanley: Remember Them? ? BoroGuide

Inspector Morse 21-02-2018 21:00

Can't see us matching Wycombe and Mansfield.
Can see 85+ needed.
Hopefully keep in playoffs. Amazing achievement if we do.

monkey hanger 22-02-2018 09:14

[QUOTE=Inspector Morse;
Hopefully keep in playoffs. Amazing achievement if we do.[/QUOTE]

think if we miss out on automatic promotion from where we are now i think fans and everyone at stanley will be dissapointed. second prize in a raffle comes to mind.

maccawozzagod 22-02-2018 09:38

Couldnt agree more Monkey Hanger.

Play offs would still be amazing, and it would keep alive my dreams of attending a game at Wembley (wont go until Stanley do), but it would be a consolation prize and I would have no confidence in winning the semi final.

However, for the sake of continuing club growth a Wembley trip would infinitely more beneficial than autos. Clubs like Luton, Wycombe and Mansfailed know that they can attract 10 to 20 thpusand extra fans on occasion, but we dont and never have. Certain events this season have helped to put us into the minds of the public and a big game would give them the motive to come and look. In the past we've failed to capitalise on the extra 2000 day trippers, but I think we could this time out

AccyMad 22-02-2018 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeA (Post 1209135)
This very fair Stevenage blog reckons that we'll have our 'moment in the sun':
Accrington Stanley: Remember Them? ? BoroGuide

A fair minded Stevenage fan - who'd have thought?? Be telling us next that even the odd Burton fan can be reasonable :rolleyes:

Twenty Eight 22-02-2018 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1209138)
Can see 85+ needed.

That's a very depressing retort Morse.
If we beat them both ?

Exile on Spencer St 22-02-2018 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1209133)
Disagree. Focus on what you can do .... not what might happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1209166)
That's a very depressing retort Morse.
If we beat them both ?

Erm, you were saying....? :rolleyes:

Twenty Eight 22-02-2018 18:29

Time for positivity. That's all I'm saying. 13 games to go and a fan writing us off ?

Lord Stiffupperlip 22-02-2018 22:43

I say you chaps!
Who'd want to be a Stanley supporter at the moment????
Automatic promotion - possible!
Place in the play-offs - probable!
Mid-table obscurity - unlikely!
Relegation - impossible!
After the heartache of our previous play-off encounters, we'd all be nervous if we failed to achieve the first option.
But the mere thought of our unfashionable little team of perennial over-achievers walking out onto the hallowed Wembley turf????
'Blenkinsop, pass the smelling salts!'
If that glorious day were to dawn, who'd want to be a Stanley fan then?
Half of England!
Nay! The World!

ossy kid 23-02-2018 03:14

Well for what it's worth Morse old chap, here are my predictions-
LUTON 98 pts
Wycombe 88 pts
Stanley 86 pts
Notts 85 pts
Exeter 85 pts

It's going to be tough but nothing worthwhile comes easy, the lads have to give every last ounce and the fans have to be the 12th man every game. I BELIEVE in them.

Inspector Morse 23-02-2018 08:56

Don't forget Mansfield.

Inspector Morse 23-02-2018 09:01

'Time for positivity. That's all I'm saying. 13 games to go and a fan writing us off ?'

I'm not writing us off I just think automatics is a tall order. I never anticipated the run-in we had two years ago so I'm happy to be proved wrong. To err is human.

I still think it'll be a fantastic achievement to make the play-offs.

widnes viking 23-02-2018 09:29

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en...Promotion.html

Stanley 4/6 On for automatic spot third favourites

In reality its the classic one game at at time scenario

ossy kid 23-02-2018 14:57

I didn't forget Mansfield or Swindon, I have them at 82 points.

Inspector Morse 23-02-2018 15:06

I didn't forget Mansfield or Swindon, I have them at 82 points.

Fair doos. I think Mansfield are nailed on for 2nd.

Chimer 08-03-2018 09:15

Just bumping the thread to observe that we can't be relegated - neither Barnet nor Chesterfield can catch us now :D

monkey hanger 08-03-2018 09:47

we have yeovil and forest green to play who are still not safe from relagation and apart from colchester the rest are involved in play offs or automatic promotion. not the perfect run in but its up to coley and the players to get us over the line. all we can do is turn up and give as much vocal support as we can.

football19 08-03-2018 17:06

Clean sheets will see us over the line !!!

choirboy 09-03-2018 08:50

'Final Run In'.......?:idunno:
We are nowhere near that yet!:pph34r:
Wait for the last 3 or 4 matches for that.

For now, we need to just take matches ONE at a time...... striving to earn THREE POINTS every match!:jimbo::jimbo::jimbo:
Winning superbly by four goals or winning 'Ugly' by one goal.....either will do!
:theband:

ON STANLEY ON :theband:
COME ON THE REDS
:theband:
:mosher::mosher::mosher:

Twenty Eight 11-03-2018 10:48

Time for a revisit.
Anyone changed their mind ?
Come on Morse time for positivity surely ?

cashman 11-03-2018 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Morse (Post 1209138)
Can see 85+ needed.

If thats amazing, what do yeh call Automatic? i think yer gonna be proved wrong.

football19 11-03-2018 12:16

Other teams are feeling the pressure,we have the depth in our squad to keep our players focused- simple-we going up !!!!

cashman 11-03-2018 12:24

Our lads are playing right until the final whistle these days, that will make all the difference imho

Tom D 11-03-2018 13:47

Just a little interesting fact - our current points total would have been enough in each of the last 6 seasons to get us in the playoffs. Just 14 more would also make it true for the automatics as well.

Can see the totals for each being little higher though this time round.

football19 11-03-2018 13:51

Cashy,if you watch their equaliser,SM took a decent corner and they broke at pace,and as they put the ball in the net,SM nearly got a tackle in.
When you have lads prepared to sprint 100 yards for your team,you’ll not go far wrong!!!,outstanding effort,and not a bad first goal from him either:)

Inspector Morse 11-03-2018 15:14

'f thats amazing, what do yeh call Automatic? i think yer gonna be proved wrong.'

More than happy to be proved wrong tho we haven't achieved anything yet.

Still think play-offs would be an amazing achievement but from where we are now I think we all know the deal.

cashman 11-03-2018 15:20

True but from what ive seen this season i cannot see us ballsing this up.;)

Inspector Morse 11-03-2018 15:23

'Time for a revisit.
Anyone changed their mind ?
Come on Morse time for positivity surely ?'

Yes. I think we can do it.

pifco 11-03-2018 15:47

Yesterday was a great result but as JC said all we did was win 1 game and with 10 games still to go we shouldn't start thinking that we have as good as made it to League 1.
I am a pessimist but I am quietly hopeful.

ossy kid 11-03-2018 18:30

We have the toughest run in but none tougher than yesterday. 10 games to go, any of the top six who get 20 points from those games will go up. C'mon Stanley.

choirboy 11-03-2018 19:53

We just need to focus on next Saturday v Forest Green Rovers.......
Bring as many friends and relations as possible and .......:thankya::jimbo::pblink::smokin::icon_hump: :smack::arty::joint::mar::silly::gorgeous::sonic:
MAKE THE MOST NOISE EVER MADE IN ACCRINGTON......:theband::s_gupjump:wave8::horn8:
and do our utmost in order to help the team earn THREE MORE POINTS.:mosher::mosher::mosher:

ON STANLEY ON
:jimbo::theband::alright:

ferret man 12-03-2018 12:01

There's nowt we like more
than watching Mark Hughes
cause we never think
that were going to lose
with Hughes'y
we all love watching Mark Hughes. Singing the Blues. Tommy Steel or Dave Edmonds

cashman 12-03-2018 12:07

Both Hughes and Dunne cleared off the line on sat with great clearances, these lads kept us alive yet little mention, as someone said, plenty of unsung heroes in our lads also.;)

Lord Didsbury 12-03-2018 13:58

The run in might suit us.

Firstly, win a game against a rival and it's a massive blow to them. If we played, say Notts Co tomorrow and beat them they would surely be out of it.

Secondly, if we lost to one of our rivals then you can shrug it off on the basis of "you can't win them all" and move on to the next big match.

Thirdly, are any of our rivals actually that good? Luton are still the only team I've seen who have stood out. The rest aren't much better than mid table teams are they?

Nowt worse than starting to struggle against some really mediocre teams and losing confidence.

Chewbacca 12-03-2018 19:20

It was home draws against average and mediocre sides in the latter months that cost us promotion 2 years ago, along with the party before the game on the final day which led to a nervous and fairly quite atmosphere in the ground with few attacks until the end of the game.

I think the pitch took some of the blame for dropping points at home and it was immediately rectified that summer.

According to the bookies we are 1/7 for promotion which is 80% certain taking out their margin, but we were about 1/3 before High Wycombe and about 1/6 on the last day in 2016.

Next up Mansfield away to Notts C, and the stags are home to Stanley and away to Luton in the next four with Flitcroft currently showing his Bury form.

Notts have Stanley and Wycombe soon as well as the stags, last game home to the Hatters. I think these two Notts sides have the worst run ins, with Luton and Wycombe being sightly better of than Stanley, with the last 3 going up.

cashman 12-03-2018 19:25

Think 80% is wrong, i'd say 85%.:D

Twenty Eight 13-03-2018 13:33

Coventry have a nice run in. Dark horses for third automatic. Might change my mind after tonight.

AccyMad 13-03-2018 13:39

Well, our momentum might take a blow now - piggin Yeovil game postponed till 17th April cos of their international call ups - flamin joke or what!?!

cashman 13-03-2018 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1210173)
Well, our momentum might take a blow now - piggin Yeovil game postponed till 17th April cos of their international call ups - flamin joke or what!?!

I certainly hope not:eek: things are always the hard way for us, but we shall overcome. At least all our lads should be fit and not injured hopefully.

Exile on Spencer St 13-03-2018 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1210173)

Wonder if Somerset finds this postponement "disgusting"? :rolleyes:

AccyMad 13-03-2018 17:27

It's like the ref playing advantage & then changing his mind & dragging play back . . . . . so frustrating!

cashman 13-03-2018 17:54

Dont worry, be happy, i certainly am whatever happens, season for me has been magnificent.;)

cashman 13-03-2018 18:54

Good start Coventry 1-0.

Chewbacca 13-03-2018 19:46

It will cost Stanley a few quid losing an international weekend game and playing it on a Tuesday, bound to lose top spot too.

cashman 13-03-2018 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1210206)
It will cost Stanley a few quid losing an international weekend game and playing it on a Tuesday, bound to lose top spot too.

Why bound to lose top spot? Luton 2 down at half time, we keep winning and they keep losing. yeh never know. they are at newport sat.

Twenty Eight 13-03-2018 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 1210206)

What a load of ...........

Lord Didsbury 13-03-2018 21:04

It’s no big deal. Gives Billy a week off in order to shake off that debilitating fatigue of his.

Also, can’t beat an evening game in my opinion.

monkey hanger 14-03-2018 08:07

Also, can’t beat an evening game in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

you might like evening games and so do i but plenty do not for one reason or another. the gate will be down about 500 for the rearanged game. this international break really bugs me unless you have half a team missing. what do clubs have squads for. can we cancel a game if one of our players gets injured.

AccyMad 14-03-2018 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury (Post 1210222)
It’s no big deal. Gives Billy a week off in order to shake off that debilitating fatigue of his.

Also, can’t beat an evening game in my opinion.

How is it not a big deal, the timing couldn't be worse - the momentum we could've gained with two home games in a row could be crucial, a week's break is not only unwelcome it's a damned nuisance.
And yes, I like our evening games too but not at the expense of a weekend without a match

cashman 14-03-2018 10:17

Why not ask Newport if we can switch the re-arranged game to that blank sat? surely worth asking?

AccyMad 14-03-2018 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1210267)
Why not ask Newport if we can switch the re-arranged game to that blank sat? surely worth asking?

It's not a blank Saturday for Newport though Cashy, they're at home to Crewe

cashman 14-03-2018 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyMad (Post 1210269)
It's not a blank Saturday for Newport though Cashy, they're at home to Crewe

Ah ok fair enough Di.;)

Lord Stiffupperlip 14-03-2018 17:46

Evening matches will never compete with a traditional Saturday afternoon match.
For those who work all day, evening games can be a real pain.
It's all too easy to give it a miss if your tired, or the weather is foul.
Likewise, not many parents will allow their school-age kids to attend a game that ends after 9.30pm - Saturday no problem!
But the biggest difference is that the attendance by away supporters is massively affected.
You've got to be a fanatical fan to travel from Yeovil to Accrington for a Tuesday night game.
All considered - lower gate + poor kiosk sales = a very big deal indeed!

cashman 14-03-2018 18:15

Also quite a few local bus services do not run in the evenings, i know a few owd lads that dont come cos of that fact, but i dont think its a big deal regarding our chances of promotion? The noise the Ultras make discount that for me.:)

Lord Didsbury 14-03-2018 20:22

Ok, I can see it’s not ideal for some, just a personal preference really. Makes the Wham feel like the Nou Camp when them lights are dazzling.

With any luck Yeovil will be the game we get promoted. That should hopefully get some of the waivers out.

ossy kid 17-03-2018 18:39

You think 8 points from the last 9 games will do it L.D. I don't think 82 will do it. We have to get 3 points next week against Yeovil because the last 7 games are all tough. I have us getting 12 points from the last 8 which will give us 88 points which should keep us top, will certainly in the top 3.

choirboy 17-03-2018 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1210436)
You think 8 points from the last 9 games will do it L.D. I don't think 82 will do it. We have to get 3 points next week against Yeovil because the last 7 games are all tough. I have us getting 12 points from the last 8 which will give us 88 points which should keep us top, will certainly in the top 3.

Erm..... I think it is impossible for us to get three points next week against Yeovil. :hidewall:

cashman 17-03-2018 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1210436)

Yeovil next week is postponed mate.;)

Lord Didsbury 17-03-2018 21:15

Do you think both Notts Co and Wycombe will average 2pts a game until the end of the season? I don’t. That’s why I think 8 points is enough.

ossy kid 17-03-2018 21:18

Cheers Cash, whenever we play Yeovil??? ------Pardon me choirboy for not being up to date.

ossy kid 17-03-2018 21:21

I don't think Wycombe will but I think Luton and Notts will.

monkey hanger 18-03-2018 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1210442)
Cheers Cash, whenever we play Yeovil??? ------Pardon me choirboy for not being up to date.

you are not the only one either. quite a few around me thought we played yeovil next saturday. serves em right for not being on here.

Twenty Eight 18-03-2018 09:48

Coventry will finish third.

Lord Stiffupperlip 18-03-2018 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1210459)

Really hope so!
Already looking forward to another day-out at the Ricoh next season.

monkey hanger 18-03-2018 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twenty Eight (Post 1210459)

just looked at their run in. they have to go to notts county, play morecambe last game of the season but the rest of their fixtures are against mid table sides. your prediction may be right but hope its not stanley who will suffer from it.

choirboy 18-03-2018 16:32

STOP doing all these sums !!!:rolleyes:
I am just content to consider one number....the number THREE!!!
.......THREE points gained in the 'NEXT MATCH' is as far as I am looking!
:mosher:

Outback Ozzy 18-03-2018 17:21

One sum that cannot be argued with. IF we gain another 17 points, then neither Notts County or Wycombe can catch us. So over the next 9 games that s the teams target.

VALAIRIAN 18-03-2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy (Post 1210486)
One sum that cannot be argued with. IF we gain another 17 points, then neither Notts County or Wycombe can catch us. So over the next 9 games that s the teams target.

Just worked it out :o

:) :) :)