Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 12:18   #31

Re: A Worrying Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
Why the hell would Lee Trundle want to turn his back on guaranteed first-team league football with Swansea to come and play Conference football at Stanley for at least half his wages? I know what you mean but Trundle is just not plausible, Burton Albion signing Mark Robbins was good for them.....until he got injured pre-season.

I reckon we could sign Zidane and the general populace of Accy would still stay away and watch the big teams results come in on SkySports.
Why?? Money, thats why!

Money talks.

What are you on about 'half his wages'??

How much do you think Swansea pay? We could blow them out of the water. It is plausible. Its ambitious but he's a top player at a higher level of football, the sort that would take us on leaps and bounds.

I cant believe some of you dont know who he is. Lee Trundle is a big name in the lower divisions. What big name did you think I would offer, Rooney?? We've got to be slightly realistic.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2004, 12:28   #32
God Member

I cant see people getting off their backsides and coming to watch Accrington Stanley just because a player who cant make the bigtime is playing for us... The league is full of also rans. Ceejache last line just about sums it up. Really do you think hundreds of Accrington folk would suddenly want to watch Stanley because Lee Trundle was playing.... Sorry I just can't see it.

They didn't come rushing the other week when Irons was in the squad and he is a bigger name.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:37   #33
Super Moderator

Coley's thoughts on the attendance situation as recorded in tonight's Telegraph: "To be honest, the crowd was very disappointing last week considering we'd won two out of the first three. I know the Blackburn game might have hit it a little but players do respond to a good atmosphere and big crowd."

So, come on, you lot, persuade your workmates, the lads in the pub, even your granny, to come along and make it a 2,000+ gate!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 13:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I cant see people getting off their backsides and coming to watch Accrington Stanley just because a player who cant make the bigtime is playing for us... The league is full of also rans. Ceejache last line just about sums it up. Really do you think hundreds of Accrington folk would suddenly want to watch Stanley because Lee Trundle was playing.... Sorry I just can't see it.

They didn't come rushing the other week when Irons was in the squad and he is a bigger name.
No Kipax, your last line sums it up.

Kenny Irons is an over the hill has-been, never will be.

Lee Trundle on the other hand is a player at the peak of his powers. He was certainly one of, if not the, top scorer in Div 3 last year. He also destroyed higher level opposition when scoring a splendid winner against PNE in the FA Cup.

More to the point he is an entertainer. His dribbling skills are exceptional for the level he's at and a good percentage of his goals could only be described as spectacular. He is left footed, which we could use, and also takes a mean free kick.

And... he's a scouser so i'm sure he'd fit in just fine.

If signing a player of that ilk didn't improve attendances then I have origins in the netherlands. In any case its not just about boosting gates its about promotion. Trundle is a top player. For the record Swansea signed him on a free so if a transfer fee was required I am quite sure you would only be talking 5 figures in the current market.
Old 03-09-2004, 13:13   #35
God Member

Quote:"Lee Trundle on the other hand is a player at the peak of his powers.."Unquote.

Are you by any chance his agent, Staveros?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 13:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Quote:"Lee Trundle on the other hand is a player at the peak of his powers.."Unquote.

Are you by any chance his agent, Staveros?
He he!! I think I should be. Peter Clarke's at Everton too. I cant believe no-one has snapped him up. I beleive he is on a rolling contract at the moment, the stumbling block on that one though, for smaller clubs particularly, is probably the fact that Everton will be due a development fee as he is under 24 years old. He'd be a sniup for someone like Burnley though. Former Eng U21 captain top player and a really nice lad to boot.
Old 03-09-2004, 13:49   #37
Junior Member+

Ha Ha Staveros...dont make me laugh! Lee Trundle, he may be a good player and a decent signing, but why, if he was at the 'peak of his powers', would he come down to the conference...surely this footballing genius would be looking up the league...not down it.

The thread is about bringing in someone to boost attendances? Then I'm with Ceejache, no matter who you sign it really wouldnt make a massive difference with the apathetic Accrington public! If you really believed Lee Trundle would boost the crowd you are very wide of the mark! Lee McEvilly was a bigger signing, NI international and all that!
Creweboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 14:00   #38
Senior Member+

We dont need Trudle a centre back would be nice.......Clarke that would be a good signing.
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 14:35   #39

Back in Febuary this year there were rumours that Portsmouth were prepared to offer £1.5 million for Trundle, even Hartlepool were rumoured to be taking him for £500,000. The club simply could not afford to match any clubs valuation of Trundle - even if we did offer a decent amount and Swansea were willing to let him go then our bid would just open up a bidding war and every other interested club would totally trump our bid off the face of the earth eg. the Rooney/Newcastle/Man Utd scenario. I would guess that our wage structure is preety much solid and we all know what has happened over the past few years with smaller clubs that have bought big - a year later they've gone to the wall. Wiley, older professionals are the way forward, whilst giving some of the talent closer to home experience alongside them.
Old 03-09-2004, 15:23   #40
Senior Member+

Lee Trundle was heard of for a short time around about the Preston game,
However, Accy have 2 full internationals in their squad i.e. Lee McEvil and Lutel as well as 2 England Internationals at Semi pro level in Peter Cavanagh and Jon Kennedy, so why on earth would a 'big' name signing make any difference. I say the club should look at the other ideas within this thread and other supporters should drag/bully/ask a friend to join them tomorrow against Woking. I am certainly hoping to drag/bully at least 2 if not 4 to come with me from Wigan.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 16:29   #41
Full Member+

Don't forget Ian Craney, Outback. He's our third semi-pro international........ and did Proccy eventually make it as well?
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 18:49   #42
Senior Member+

We only had 400 & odd a couple of years ago so the attendance is at the right level if you ask me! If we have a cup run then the attendances will go up but the Premiership is the be all & end all for most people. They'd rather spend £40 on a Chelsea shirt than go Stanley

& if its them sort of people you want then I'm not going again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bah Humbug,
Jase

PS On a serious note we should get some downloadable posters that can be printed advertsing the Stanley ie REAL FOOTBALL, REAL FOOD, NO PRAWN SANDWICHES< NO CORPORATE HOSPITALITY ETC then the next home game on it. We could all download & stick them in cars, shops, asda. I'll print a wack for every home game if we can get a wizard to design em (as long as I get an input into the content - it needs humour!!!)

Areet people........

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:55   #43

That's a cracking idea - if somebody gets on it I'm willing to stick em up in the schools/colleges I teach in and in t'pub.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:02   #44
Senior Member+

I'll stick em up in my school...........
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:04   #45

Just noticed a sign on Whalley Rd /Queens Rd junction advertising the match - hopefully if the weather holds we might get close to 2,000.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..