View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 13:08   #34
Staveros

Re: A Worrying Trend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I cant see people getting off their backsides and coming to watch Accrington Stanley just because a player who cant make the bigtime is playing for us... The league is full of also rans. Ceejache last line just about sums it up. Really do you think hundreds of Accrington folk would suddenly want to watch Stanley because Lee Trundle was playing.... Sorry I just can't see it.

They didn't come rushing the other week when Irons was in the squad and he is a bigger name.
No Kipax, your last line sums it up.

Kenny Irons is an over the hill has-been, never will be.

Lee Trundle on the other hand is a player at the peak of his powers. He was certainly one of, if not the, top scorer in Div 3 last year. He also destroyed higher level opposition when scoring a splendid winner against PNE in the FA Cup.

More to the point he is an entertainer. His dribbling skills are exceptional for the level he's at and a good percentage of his goals could only be described as spectacular. He is left footed, which we could use, and also takes a mean free kick.

And... he's a scouser so i'm sure he'd fit in just fine.

If signing a player of that ilk didn't improve attendances then I have origins in the netherlands. In any case its not just about boosting gates its about promotion. Trundle is a top player. For the record Swansea signed him on a free so if a transfer fee was required I am quite sure you would only be talking 5 figures in the current market.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote