Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 08:43   #151
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Accrington Stanley - Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegibbons View Post
I am on this in a few weeks, when we get round to July. I had to sign a sheet to give permission for the footage they filmed to be shown.
That's going to add a few million more viewers then

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-11-2008, 15:01   #152
Senior Member+

Saw another remarkable documentary yesterday, Terence Davies' Of Time and the City. The city in question being Liverpool from the point of view of the director's upbringing in the fifties, to how he sees Liverpool now.

He speaks the names Accrington Stanley, Sheffield Wednesday, Hamilton Academicals and Queen of the South in such melifluous tones against archive footage, to invoke memories of my dad checking his pools as the results came in over the bakelite radio. The whole film is spellbinding.

It's amazing to think how diverse documentaries can be.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 21:09   #153
Senior Member+

This is Liverpool Echo's trailer for the programme:

"Nov 1 2008

by Greg O'Keeffe, Liverpool Echo

Monday

Accrington Stanley ... Exactly (ITV1, 10.40pm)

MORE action from behind the scenes with the league two footy side, managed by likeable scouser John Coleman. So far, this series has been insightful and funny – just what you’d expect from director Sol Papadopoulos who co-produced Cannes hit film Of Time and the City.!"

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 00:42   #154
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
So far, this series has been insightful and funny – just what you’d expect from director Sol Papadopoulos who co-produced Cannes hit film Of Time and the City.!"
Small world indeed, possibly why Terence said "goodnight" rather early, as I thought, he obviously knew of the documentary which was to come.

Wonder how well AS Exactly would have gone down at Cannes.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23   #155
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
This is Liverpool Echo's trailer for the programme:

"Nov 1 2008

by Greg O'Keeffe, Liverpool Echo

Monday

Accrington Stanley ... Exactly (ITV1, 10.40pm)

MORE action from behind the scenes with the league two footy side, managed by likeable scouser John Coleman. So far, this series has been insightful and funny – just what you’d expect from director Sol Papadopoulos who co-produced Cannes hit film Of Time and the City.!"
Lol, I used to know the director when I was at art school in Liverpool.

No wonder the series is as funny as it is.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:47   #156
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Saw another remarkable documentary yesterday, Terence Davies' Of Time and the City. The city in question being Liverpool from the point of view of the director's upbringing in the fifties, to how he sees Liverpool now.

He speaks the names Accrington Stanley, Sheffield Wednesday, Hamilton Academicals and Queen of the South in such melifluous tones against archive footage, to invoke memories of my dad checking his pools as the results came in over the bakelite radio. The whole film is spellbinding.

It's amazing to think how diverse documentaries can be.
What channel was it Oggy, please?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38   #157
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
What channel was it Oggy, please?
Limited release film, I'm afraid, I had to pop over to Bradford to see it.

Does have a website though - Of Time and the City

Old 03-11-2008, 20:33   #158
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Don't forget its on after news at 10 and localnews tonight
Old 03-11-2008, 22:10   #159

Probably worst so far - was an episode of airport not stanley
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 22:16   #160
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Probably worst so far - was an episode of airport not stanley
Totaly agree with you samf!!
Old 03-11-2008, 22:26   #161
God Member

What car crash tv if ever i saw it, wtf was that to do with the club really or the fans that support it, terrible episode scraping the barrel with that wasnt they ?!? & i thought cavs stag do was a bit much! Really was a bad half hour & not really highlighting stanley in any positive light at all! Glad i didnt even bother with the dvd tonight, what happened to Garys flip as mentioned before the start of the prog???

Granada had plenty of footage to use of the support & of the behind the scenes stuff - even coleyoke by the very coley would of been better or should say more in keeping with the footy theme. But as people have already said its probably more a mockery than a documentory!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 22:28   #162
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Total rubbish tonight nowt to do with the Stanley we know.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 22:31   #163
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Totaly agree with you samf!!
But it gave dear Stuart another opportunity to run through his repertoire of emotionally charged claptrap, and our Chairman an equal opportunity to prove that he can, on occasions work his way through day-to-day emergencies without resorting to the expletives which have been well-criticised in this thread!!
In the words of the Daily Telegraph's Television Critic,...'all in all, this was merely an inconsequential exercise in Televisual mediocrity'...and he should know !
But there's always next week !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 23:10   #164
Full Member+

What was shown tonight had very little to do with Stanley.Other than follow the hen do of someone who works for the club and our esteemed chairman showing in brief glimpses a somewhat understanding side,albeit in the circumstances which encapsulated tonight's offering, I fail to see how tonight's offering shows how the club we love is run. Other than a secretary who despite organising the whole escapade to Magaluf somehow manages to overlook that her own passport has expired!!!

Don't get me wrong, the girl probably does stirling work on behalf of the club and she's probably doing a brilliant job, but this whole escapade is descending into farce, especially with Stuart Hall narrating over the whole thing like he's still conducting the " It's a knockoout " scenario.

Talk about putting accross a "Professional" football club in a positive light!! It may be funny to some,but I fear this documentary is putting the club across as a joke, as much a joke as we were when we were the butt of the milk advert

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 23:18   #165
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well it is approaching the pantomime season carpon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..