Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2016, 21:41   #1

Accrington Stanley, Pride of Lancashire

Discuss!!!!
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2016, 21:55   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington Stanley, Pride of Lancashire

Too tired and emotional right now!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 22:14   #3
God Member

yeah. I'm a bit happy As a Stanleyite for life, from early childhood, I've waited 33 years for the opportunity to play a local 'Big Boy' on a level playing field in a competitive game. We finally got it.
Just to hold our own and not get hammered was enough for me, really.
1-0 win with almost the last kick of extra time? yeah baby, I'll have that!! I normally do better with wordology than this **** poor effort, but tonight? it'll suffice
For all the red and white til they die
Old 24-08-2016, 23:01   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I was convinced Burnley would do us in Normal Time before kick off, and would have been delighted to to see us put a good display on, i have never been as happy to be wrong.
Old 24-08-2016, 23:04   #5
God Member

Title of this thread says it all - so proud of my Stanley boys tonight
Kiwi John, Revived Red and Greeny like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 07:35   #6
Senior Member+

I was not aware of the score until I walked into my local just before the end of the match - my pals cheered me in, frantically pointing at the screen. Great feeling
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:01   #7
God Member

he have made the national news this morning as well which can,t be bad. you can keep your olympics give me matty pearsons goal all day. nice to see another keighley lad get the winner as i live in a town that like accrington that only gets negative comments. the town had got 14 heroes out their and we know who they are.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:31   #8
Full Member+

I too thought we would get a tubbing ,just before the goal I said to the man next to me I will be happy with a goal in either net now as we made Burnley work for it, and had shown we are gelling as a "new" team , but to then win , dreams really do come true.
Well done lads, keep it going.
cashman and sherry like this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:21   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I said similar greeny, i didn't want penalties again. i did think there would be a goal for someone, i said to accytom, but wasn't sure which side, coulda gone either way i thought, as both sides played pretty well.
Old 25-08-2016, 10:46   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I was convinced Burnley would do us in Normal Time before kick off, and would have been delighted to to see us put a good display on, i have never been as happy to be wrong.
Ye of little faith Cashy !!!.
To win these games your keeper has to a worldy and deary me ours was top of his game,flawless performance
AccyMad, cashman and yonmon like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 11:04   #11
God Member

Agree, Cashy, watching it on telly I thought both sides gave a good account of themselves.
Also thought Professor Coleman was spot on when he noted one big difference was the body strength of the Burnley squad. Their defence were very adept at just applying enough pressure to put the two small Stanley forwards off balance, so they couldn't get that, at League 2 level, all-important second touch. Classic example was when McCarten got booked. He was lucky not to get red carded, but I suspect his lunge was more frustration at being held back by Long, which stopped him getting to the ball after his first touch took it a yard too far from him. Glad there was no serious injury O'Neil (No.41?) and he went on to have a very good game for the Clarets.
But, equally, our back five were unbelievably good to handle the Burnley's forwards. Unfair to pick out individuals, but Parrish had an outstanding game.
O'Sullivan showed some of the form we all hoped for but,as Burnley tired slightly, I thought Stanley's substitutions made a real difference. Lacey looked very promising and the move that produced Boco's header, and the brilliant improvised save, was one of the best you'll see at any level of football.
A night out in the Olympic Stadium is just reward for that performance.
Now the team need to get back to earth, and prepare for Morecambe!
keep the faith likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 11:29   #12
I am Banned

Little old accy will be the first team to play a cup match at the Olympic stadium
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 16:05   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
Discuss!!!!
Er, why don't you tell us what you are thinking instead of inviting everyone else to possibly say something which you may not agree with.

From my point of view, Stanley, Rovers and PNE are still in the cup, but we get the honour of being the first team to play a competitive cup match at the Olympic Stadium (as someone else has pointed out). Stanley will always be the Pride of Lancashire in my eyes regardless of results!
cashman and Revived Red like this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Er, why don't you tell us what you are thinking instead of inviting everyone else to possibly say something which you may not agree with.

From my point of view, Stanley, Rovers and PNE are still in the cup, but we get the honour of being the first team to play a competitive cup match at the Olympic Stadium (as someone else has pointed out). Stanley will always be the Pride of Lancashire in my eyes regardless of results!
I agree about being pride of Lancashire but NK Domzale were first to play a competitive cup game there followed by Astra tonight.

If that's what they think of the Europa League then we must have a great chance in the league cup.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:43   #15
Full Member+

I cringed a bit when the Clayton End sang You're just a small town in Accy, to the Dingles. We'd be better off not winding up away fans unless we have a history of conflict with them.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..