View Single Post
Old 25-08-2016, 11:04   #11
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Accrington Stanley, Pride of Lancashire

Agree, Cashy, watching it on telly I thought both sides gave a good account of themselves.
Also thought Professor Coleman was spot on when he noted one big difference was the body strength of the Burnley squad. Their defence were very adept at just applying enough pressure to put the two small Stanley forwards off balance, so they couldn't get that, at League 2 level, all-important second touch. Classic example was when McCarten got booked. He was lucky not to get red carded, but I suspect his lunge was more frustration at being held back by Long, which stopped him getting to the ball after his first touch took it a yard too far from him. Glad there was no serious injury O'Neil (No.41?) and he went on to have a very good game for the Clarets.
But, equally, our back five were unbelievably good to handle the Burnley's forwards. Unfair to pick out individuals, but Parrish had an outstanding game.
O'Sullivan showed some of the form we all hoped for but,as Burnley tired slightly, I thought Stanley's substitutions made a real difference. Lacey looked very promising and the move that produced Boco's header, and the brilliant improvised save, was one of the best you'll see at any level of football.
A night out in the Olympic Stadium is just reward for that performance.
Now the team need to get back to earth, and prepare for Morecambe!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote