Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree97Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2017, 18:42   #91
God Member

Re: Blackpool Away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I think they mean the one about the turkey
Seriously?! It's been sung for years & not just by us, can't recall anyone taking exception before
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2017, 18:47   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Seriously?! It's been sung for years & not just by us, can't recall anyone taking exception before
I have to admit that I've never heard it sung by anyone else. I wouldn't say it bothers me but I can see why it does bother others given it's now the 21st century
Lord Didsbury likes this.
Old 15-04-2017, 19:12   #93

Lowered the tone somewhat, but when you've got that many fans on the pop before the match it's probably predictable. Not sure why it's sung: A tired old insult that's neither funny nor insulting really. Just a bit embarrassing for those daft enough to sing it.

On the positive side, loads of great upbeat singing and drumming and general all round good behaviour as per usual.
Old 15-04-2017, 19:46   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Lowered the tone somewhat, but when you've got that many fans on the pop before the match it's probably predictable. Not sure why it's sung: A tired old insult that's neither funny nor insulting really. Just a bit embarrassing for those daft enough to sing it.

On the positive side, loads of great upbeat singing and drumming and general all round good behaviour as per usual.
Lord, I'm not even familiar with the song, can you give a brief synopsis?
Old 15-04-2017, 20:18   #95
I am Banned

Quote:
It's only asking them if they do its not like they're outright saying that the person is homosexual
AccyMad and Lord Love Rocket like this.
Old 15-04-2017, 20:20   #96
God Member

Maybe it's cos the weight is stated in imperial measurements
Lord Love Rocket likes this.
Old 15-04-2017, 20:35   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
It's only asking them if they do its not like they're outright saying that the person is homosexual
I've heard songs sung elsewhere, not by accy fans, saying certain players peel bananas with there feet. Does that just relate to eating fruit?

Thankfully that one died out a while ago.
Old 15-04-2017, 20:45   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I've heard songs sung elsewhere, not by accy fans, saying certain players peel bananas with there feet. Does that just relate to eating fruit?

Thankfully that one died out a while ago.
Don't think that's the same at all to be fair, that one us blatantly racist - most song/chant lyrics are just a bit of banter & usually received in that spirit.

Personally, the Jim Harvey one makes me cringe much more than the turkey song - too near the knuckle for me
chevyfire likes this.
Old 15-04-2017, 20:55   #99

Quote:
Don't think that's the same at all to be fair, that one us blatantly racist - most song/chant lyrics are just a bit of banter & usually received in that spirit.

Personally, the Jim Harvey one makes me cringe much more than the turkey song - too near the knuckle for me
I agree but it's all a matter of perspective. Years ago that would have been fine to some but not now.

It's the same with that song as it is blatantly homophobic, we just haven't accepted it yet as such because homophobia hasn't reached the same focus.

If it's that innocent and banter, would you sing it at Andy Woodward if he was playing and if not why not?

I've sang far worse many years ago in a different time that I wouldn't anymore as times change and so does what's acceptable.

I agree about the Jim Harvey one, that is bad!
Old 15-04-2017, 21:02   #100
God Member

Sorry if I'm a bit thick but who's Andy Woodward?

As far back as I can remember the turkey song hasn't been sung to someone who's known to bat for the other side so to speak, but usually to someone who's pee'ed off our fans, e.g. Paul Cook, Paul Ince, etc., etc., . . . . . . . . Oh, & Tony Roberts who used to love it & played to his audience
Old 15-04-2017, 21:09   #101

Quote:
Sorry if I'm a bit thick but who's Andy Woodward?

As far back as I can remember the turkey song hasn't been sung to someone who's known to bat for the other side so to speak, but usually to someone who's pee'ed off our fans, e.g. Paul Cook, Paul Ince, etc., etc., . . . . . . . . Oh, & Tony Roberts who used to love it & played to his audience
He's the poor/brave guy that was abused as a youngster who came forward to start off the current investigation. Yes Roberts did but does that make it right? If it's not meant as a homophobic slur then what is the point of it?
Old 15-04-2017, 23:14   #102

The point of it is to make them that sing it sound stupid I think.

What was the song that at times sounded a bit like supertramp's Logical Song? "So Magical, wonderful...." etc. Think it was about someone on the wing. Now that was a nice tune.
Old 16-04-2017, 07:39   #103
God Member

this is starting to get boring now.
AccyMad and st06nc2 like this.
Old 16-04-2017, 08:10   #104
Senior Member+

At the match, I laughed at a chant about Blackpool being in the Premiership and effing it up. However, the one that I couldn't get out of my mind for the rest of the day was " You can stick the effing Tower up your arse" to the tune of He'll be coming round the mountain"
Old 16-04-2017, 09:02   #105
Super Moderator

I think this thread has run long enough; on to the Crawley game!!
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..