Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2013, 10:21   #1
Senior Member+

Cheltenham Town Match Thread......

Well I want to forget about this episode this morning. So as JB and the players are so im focusing on Saturday.

Who would be your XI ???

Who replaces Hunt & Webber???
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2013, 11:11   #2

Re: Cheltenham Town Match Thread......

Unfortunate to lose Hunt & Webber (even thouh I think Webber has struggled so far - sure will come good). I think Hatfield has struggled all season (I'm incl pre-season) so would give him a rest also. Think both Aldred and Atkinson have looked better when thet've played alongside Winnard.

My team would be:

Bav

Aldred Winnard Atkinson Wilson

Joyce Murphy

McCarten Gray Mingoia

Naismith
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:18   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dino @ Carver in those 2 berths fer me.
Old 19-08-2013, 11:22   #4
God Member

I'd like to see Luke Clark and Laurence Wilson as advancing full-backs. Dean Winnard and Tom Aldred to partner at centre-half - for some reason it isn't working with Rob Atkinson alongside Aldred. Midfield - Murphy, Miller and Joyce. Naismith as the main centre-forward with Hatfield and McCartan running on.
football19 likes this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:52   #5
Senior Member+

Bav’s, Winard, Atkinson, Aldred, Wilson, Murphy, Joyce, Miller, Clark,
Naismith, Carver
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 13:09   #6

Looking forward to this one - first game of the season for me.

Was always going to be a tough start, but this one is winnable. Tough games coming up in Burton & Snakefield.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 17:07   #7

McCartan looked great when he came on on Saturday- nimble, imaginative and with no little skill- he looked ready to me so would like to see him start
Redraine likes this.
The Red Darreners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 17:55   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMoody View Post
Unfortunate to lose Hunt & Webber (even thouh I think Webber has struggled so far - sure will come good). I think Hatfield has struggled all season (I'm incl pre-season) so would give him a rest also. Think both Aldred and Atkinson have looked better when thet've played alongside Winnard.

My team would be:

Bav

Aldred Winnard Atkinson Wilson

Joyce Murphy

McCarten Gray Mingoia

Naismith
Fair call that Frank,Accis up-turn in form last season coincided with Aldred and Dean being paired at centre half. Bit disappointed he lost his place,as he's slowly regaining some kind of fitness after two years of injuries !!
He played 25 mins against Everton(with Tom) and never conceded,then played 60 mins with Rob against Tranmere and didn't conceed !.
Indeed they moved him to centre half against Stalybridge and they didn't score !!.
Both Tom and Rob are great players,who love attacking and heading the ball,but to be successful as a partnership,I think one needs to alter his game slightly.
At the moment it seems Rob is the sweeper,but IMHO I would have Tom sweeping as he has that extra yard of pace---- or play Dean
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 18:59   #9
Resting in Peace

Whoever gets the nod at full back this advice from a former player should be tattooed on their foreheads, particularly no.1 which we haven't been very good at for a long time:-

"Number one job, no opposition crosses come in from your wing, ever. Number two job, your winger doesn't get outside you at any time. Number three job, see how he likes the physical side of the game as soon as possible, ( not many did but sometimes you'd get a nasty surprise ). Number four job, get forward and support the midfield."
football19 and smobile like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 20:25   #10
Senior Member+

Sounds like a extract from chopper harris's book on defending !!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 22:13   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Sounds like a extract from chopper harris's book on defending !!
Or Dave Whelan, or John (Tank) Bray. I am amazed that even when gritting my teeth and enduring Premier League matches there seems to be very little effort these days put into the actual tackling of wingers any more. Incredible. What's going on?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 23:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Or Dave Whelan, or John (Tank) Bray. I am amazed that even when gritting my teeth and enduring Premier League matches there seems to be very little effort these days put into the actual tackling of wingers any more. Incredible. What's going on?
Too many ref's keen to show cards unlike in Whelan and Bray day
Redraine and cashman like this.
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 15:51   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMSLAD View Post
Too many ref's keen to show cards unlike in Whelan and Bray day

And that's possibly because too many refs also seem to think that they are celebrities [or want to be] and that watching their performance is the reason we pay our money at the gate.
yonmon likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 19:07   #14

Literally cannot wait for this. Feeling pretty confident, saw enough good football against portsmouth to believe we can get a result against most teams when we play at home.

For me, I would start Gray and bring in Miller for Joyce.
cashman and ianray like this.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 19:14   #15
God Member

Your upbeat mood is a welcome relief on here, TomD.
The fourth game of last season was away at Cheltenham, and ended with a 3-0 win for Stanley!!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..