Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2008, 17:06   #1
Full Member+

Cowshed Power

It might be said that this post belongs on the Ian Craney thread, but I believe it has far wider repercussions and may, in the end, result in further decimation of what is already a wafer-thin squad.

There is a certain vociferous minority of “gentlemen” of a certain age who frequent the cowshed and who, I believe are, in the long run, doing no good for the club. Their latest exploits came at the Aldershot game, where strident cries of “B**ger off to Morecambe, Craney, you’re no bl**dy good” could have done nothing for Craney’s confidence, or, indeed for his inclination to stay and win promotion with Stanley.

This same group, last season, went a long way towards destroying Shaun Whalley, with the result that his home performances in no way matched some of his man-of the- match shows away from home. You aren’t going to perform with shouts of “Whalley, you’re not fit to play for a pub team!” ringing in your ears.

Okay, I haven’t always agreed with Coley’s tactics or team selection but, simple soul that I am, I feel that, as supporters, the very least we can do is get behind the guys in red on that field. I’ve even been known to shout words of encouragement to Branch on occasions – and that took some doing!

To link once again with today’s latest squad development, I feel that there are people who call themselves supporters, who need to look very closely at their actions, whether it be in the cowshed or here online, where match-winners are sometimes dubbed “Useless”.

If you want to drive away good players, so be it, but, for my part, I support Stanley, have done for many years, and will always try to give 100% support to the players who represent them.

Goodbye and good luck Ian Craney, make the Huddersfield fans proud of you. Good luck Shaun Whalley. Keep doing the business for Wrexham, even though it is at Blue Square level. I hope the supporters of those clubs deserve you more than ours do!!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2008, 17:18   #2
God Member

Re: Cowshed Power

I won't claim that the hecklers don't go too far, but professional footballers in this day and age have to be thick skinned. If the heckles from the crowd did hack at Craney's or Whalley's confidence then they're not up to much as men. Any footballer worth their salt would react to such heckles by playing out of their skin and proving the doubters wrong. I thought Whalley had a future with us but Craney was a liability who only put the effort in for us once in a blue moon. Or when league one scouts were watching.

Last edited by shakermaker; 18-08-2008 at 17:21. Reason: missed a word out... getting dotty
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 17:19   #3
God Member

well said Oldgobbin

when the player is on the pitch and wearing th eshirt then he should be exempted from the crticism.

Between games however I believe is a different matter. Then it becomes Coleys job to build them back up on matchday.

There are exceptions to the rule and unfortunately we have had many of them last season such as Rogers, Branch and Evil. It doesn't do them any favours whilst they are playing but those three seemed hell bent on destroying our team anyway - therefore I saw no problem with abusing them!
Old 18-08-2008, 17:20   #4
God Member

... and further to that yes Shaun Whalley has been a revelation at Wrexham but that is, I believe more to do with him playing as a striker than a winger! Why persevere with someone on the wing when they blatantly can't cross? Gary Roberts did well an' all when he went up front for a spell.
Old 18-08-2008, 17:28   #5
Senior Member+

I haven't stood in the cowshed this season, as I've transferred to the Clayton End to see how it goes, but I've heard the same people 'heckling' the players. Although I agree that this can undermine a player's confidence, I don't think that any of it was really that bad.

As for Whalley leaving, then I'm sure there's more to that than most people assume they know.

Whilst I don't agree with mindless criticism during the game, as Shaker says, players have got to be tougher than that.
Old 18-08-2008, 17:28   #6
Senior Member+

totally agree with you oldgobbin, thick skin or not! it does not help for your confidence knowing that you have people every home game saying get out your no good etc! craney aint a liability! he was a match winner, a good team player! we will miss him! i wish he would of stayed beucase i thought he was a great player! so good luck ian craney! you will do well a huddlesfield! most of the fans were behind you! cow shed wont be there any longer anway so they wil have to sit down! so we will be able to pick them out when they stand up and abuse our own players!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 17:40   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
craney aint a liability! he was a match winner, a good team player! we will miss him!
A player who is not a liability puts effort in week in week out and repays the faith put in him by the benefactors and coaching staff at the club. Craney didn't.
A good team player doesn't shout down his team mates for his own mistakes. A good team player pulls his own weight. Craney didn't.
Old 18-08-2008, 17:50   #8
Full Member+

I disagree with you there, Shaker, though I do agree Craney has not been at his best. Nobody WANTS to turn in below-par performances and I firmly believe that,in such circumstances ,it's our job to encourage, not abuse. It will be interesting to see who's the next Cowshed Target, for, believe me, there will certainly be one, cos I think that's one of the main reasons these guys come!
Old 18-08-2008, 17:52   #9
Senior Member+

proberly pick on bobby next time or procter or maybe even cav

Old 18-08-2008, 17:59   #10
Full Member+

Well MCR_ADIM, all I would say to Bobby is "Be afraid. Be very afraid," The thing is, he's raw at the moment and is nowhere near the finished article, so he makes mistakes. What's more, he's young enough for them to abuse with impunity. How do we bring out his developing talent? I know which way I'd choose, but watch this space!
Old 18-08-2008, 18:08   #11
Senior Member+

i know thats what i mean he is young and still learning yet he is showing very good signs of skill and ability! we all know he wil make mistakes e.g. lose the ball! run to much with the ball! than the cowshed will be on his back! so any remarks he hears about him will knock his confidence but alot of people in the clayton end like him and sing his name whenever he plays and plays good football! well said Oldgobbin great first post

Old 18-08-2008, 18:18   #12
God Member

I still maintain that if football players let such comments get to them and knock their confidence then they're in the wrong business. Football fans are fickle and some are cruel. It's simple enough to play out of your skin and prove the hecklers wrong.
Old 18-08-2008, 18:24   #13
Senior Member+

even when he does play out of his skin last two games you still dont have a good word to say about you! so when your doing something at work or whatever would you like it if people kept saying that rubbish etc than when you think you have done it well they still say rubbish etc

Old 18-08-2008, 18:26   #14
Full Member+

Under other circumstances, in a large football stadium, I could agree with you Shaker, but these comments are often made at a range of less than 10 - 15 yards, from a sparsely populated area of the ground. All of a sudden, they become that much more personal - and difficult to ignore! Yet woe betide any player who responds to it - as Shaun Whalley did on occasions last year! Professional footballers they may be, but they are still young men who are out there trying to do their best for the club which these "vocal gentlemen" profess to support.
Old 18-08-2008, 18:32   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
even when he does play out of his skin last two games you still dont have a good word to say about you!
Grant didn't play at Port Vale.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..