Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23   #16
God Member

Re: Expectations

expectations are probably higher than they have been for a few seasons. unfortunetly like a few div.2 sides we are probably one player short for a push for the play offs. lack of finance and not coley,s talent as a manager is the reason. who would you have in our side from Northampton apart from the guy who scored the goal and there wage bill will be probably 3 times ours. keep the faith and always remember players and managers come and go but the supporters live on.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2015, 16:59   #17
Senior Member+

Only a club like ours could appoint a former employee as commercial manager, that was banned from football for betting and get away with it.

Actively turning away sponsorship and hospitality opportunities, (Trust me I know more about this than I'm willing to put on here) more or less zero investment in the ground for year after year, invisible board members that suddenly seem to disappear when money is needed......

As I've heard from a huge number of business's and I quote.... "We would love to invest and spend money at Stanley but the personnel involved make it impossible".

Working really well off the field isn't it !

No I'm not the managers biggest fan, but whilst we aren't in the bottom 2 he won't be going anywhere so I and a number of others have to like it and lump it.
cashman likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 18:39   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

None so blind as those who cannot see.
Old 04-09-2015, 19:19   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Only a club like ours could appoint a former employee as commercial manager, that was banned from football for betting and get away with it.

Actively turning away sponsorship and hospitality opportunities, (Trust me I know more about this than I'm willing to put on here) more or less zero investment in the ground for year after year, invisible board members that suddenly seem to disappear when money is needed......

As I've heard from a huge number of business's and I quote.... "We would love to invest and spend money at Stanley but the personnel involved make it impossible".

No I'm not the managers biggest fan, but whilst we aren't in the bottom 2 he won't be going anywhere so I and a number of others have to like it and lump it.
I almost stopped reading at "Trust me I know more about this than I'm willing to put on here" you seem to like using this sort of sentence Smudgie, I'm not asking for you to tell me in detail but why the childish "I know something you don't know but I'm not saying"?

Rob was the first to admit that he made a mistake and has said sorry. How has he got away with it? He spent 21 months without a job, surely that's his punishment?

"Actively turning away sponsors" if you could leave the names of business' the club have actively turned away I'm sure someone at the club would be ringing them first thing Monday also I'm pretty sure most people who have been to The Crown this season will have noticed all the old sponsor boards have come down whilst many new sponsors have been attracted to sponsor Accrington Stanley, Not to mention the 200k shirt/ground deal aswell as the substitutions and added time sponsored by Cafe Brilliante which is a new money maker this season!

How can we invest when we have no money to invest, Fo you know someone with deep pockets? Have you supported the good work that the OSSC are doing to raise money for ground improvements?
Red-Osbornello and football19 like this.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:44   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post

The club haven't appointed a commercial manager. I think you mean the person who is helping out on a voluntary basis to bring in sponsors and hospitality. As for actively turning them away that's rubbish.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:12   #21
God Member

careful what you wish for. could easily get oyston types involved with the club. they are not the only ones out there.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:19   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
careful what you wish for. could easily get oyston types involved with the club. they are not the only ones out there.
Suppose "Coco" types are better than those.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:48   #23

Hey guys raffle tickets for the changing room fund still available
Book of ten tickets need selling please, yes £5 a ticket but many excellent prizes on offer
If you do not live in the area I can send throu post , Oassc will pay postage !
Whatever your gripe you can still contribute to the cause
OFFICIAL DRAW DATE IS 14TH NOV HALF TIME ON THE PITCH AT THE NEWPORT GAME

Jill Mac going solo tommorrow on tesco car park accy re car boot, pop in and see jill!

We are 90 quid off £10,000 come on lets make a good weekend

Thks Nick
baldy likes this.
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:55   #24
God Member

there could be lots of reasons why this "huge number of businesses" have not been nailed down as sponsors.

I stopped trying to get involved off the field when my idea for giving out more than a 1000 shirts to children of the borough was kyboshed. Without bringing up the whole thing and every detail I can only assume that the decision was made to take the immediate cash from a there and then investor rather than playing the long game.

That kind of an attitude is one we have to live with because we have very little money to play about with. Everything HAS to be a here and now. Many of us on here will have had exactly the same problem in real life. Out of work, struggling to pay the bills and put food on the table, do you take an offer of cash now or wait a few weeks and get a little extra cash for it? That's why we are a selling club, that's why we have little or no infrastructure and no budget to speak of for marketing.

I don't know what you know or don't know about this huge number of disappointed businesses Lee, but the one thing we can say about Rob is that things are better with him than without him. I don't give two hoots about his betting, never did and never will, but he served his time and it doesn't warrant hanging over his head. Personally I'd make him chairman and let him get on with it.
baldy and Red-Osbornello like this.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:10   #25
Senior Member+

You make some good valid points Rob as ever.

But unfortunately in my humble opinion if the club is to move forward off the field then we need a change in direction.

I personally gave the club contacts off my own back that wanted to get involved in terms of sponsorship and hospitality but where more or less told "we can't be arsed".

If that is there attitude then until the situation changes I won't be spending a penny of my hard earned money there.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 14:32   #26
God Member

Smile Re: Expectations

Fair do's Lee

The point about change of direction is massively valid though. I believe in every walk of life that history repeats itself over and over. History will tell you that we have forever walked a fine line struggling in the shadow of more illustrious neighbours and are forever doomed to play the poor relation. Sure, we may have the odd season where our star shines brighter than theirs, but it can't last.

Or can it?

Personally I'd like to see some kind of partnership between all interested parties, and by that I mean anyone who may have something to gain such as the Council etc, get onboard and steer some kind of initiative that pedestals the club to the masses.

The whole point of a football club is to give its' residents something to get behind, a tribalism of sorts "this is Accrington, get out of OUR town". In this day and age community spirit seems thin on the ground, pride even thinner. Well why can't we be the ones to provide that?

Whatever the answer is needs to be thunk of, deadlined for action, and initiated on the back of the biggest wave of publicity that we can muster. True we need money now. But by acting as quickly as possible you lose impetus. I'd say that we identify 2020 (50th anniversary of our rebirth game) as THE big one and push everything we can into. Talk to the fans Mr Chairman, get a steering committee formed and give it everything. Let's get the fans working for us. There are 1000 pairs of feet go on the ground every single game that would possibly be willing to trudge the streets for a short term action plan.

The Supporters Club this season has been a revelation in terms of getting plans into action and getting people to implement them, could that effort be tenfolded? Would every one of you on here be willing to get your collective arses behind one big push?

Honestly I know that cheap tickets aren't really an answer but they are if they part of a wider collective. We have done games for a fiver in the past and then bemoaned the fact that attendances haven't really changed. I would say that is because they are one-offs, they are poorly pushed and they are not part of a bigger push.

I wasn't going to even attempt to offer solutions but my bloody fingers won't stop tapping away so here goes;

outside of the box, never been done before, suicide etc etc. Pay what you think its worth. A Christmas present announcement that next years season tickets are pay what you think its worth. 1000 tickets are up for auction, sealed bid. The highest 1000 bids get a ticket guaranteed.

Yes, we might be giving tickets away for a tenner, so what? Hopefully the campaign gets a bucket load of publicity and a bucket load of people who wont even come bid for them. Those that want one and can afford will bid higher and secure one. There are still 3500 tickets available for general release in May.

First 5 home games (when the weather is nice) are a fiver, all season ticket holders are offered free tickets for a bring a friend initiative.

Flexi tickets (great idea btw) are for less than 10 games. 2for1, 3for2 etc. Something whereby the floating walk on might just think he is getting a better deal. An occasional fan won't buy 10 tickets to save a few quid. But might just be more tempted to come to his 2nd game for half price etc

Some kind of jamboree (wow, ye olde worlde wordee) at one of the first games where we attempt to get ALL our worldwide visitors to come at the same time. We frequently have groups come from Norway and North/South Ireland ... let's get them on for the same game. And while we're at it that push might bring all our Hull, Carlisle, Devon, Glasgow, Wolverhampton .... down at the same time. Get something put together where they are welcomed, showcased, and loved. Feed them, play them music, get them hammered and let the good times roll.

Get all the sponsors together for an end of season freebie (the season before) and talk to them. See what they can offer for the initiative. Could be prizes, could be expertise, whatever.

Who do we know that's famous? Between people like Jesse McClure, David Dunn, that safestyle guy and David Lloyd, do we have people who are current and in the public eye? These are the people that get the locals talking. I lost count of how many people asked me whether it was true that Steven Gerrard was on The Crown a few years ago. If any of our friends or staff know people that fit the bill then we need to shift gears and get them down.

Ah ****** it I can't be arsed to go on, but you get the drift. We all have ideas that may or may not work. Get together, get them down in black and white and then find a way to make them work. Not now and again, not one a season, ALL or nothing. Let's pokerface it and go all in, balls deep and see what happens. Let's prove that history is a changeable fallacy that dictates to all but our good friend Stanley
Redash, odders and smobile like this.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 05-09-2015 at 14:36.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:46   #27
Full Member+

[QUOTE=maccawozzagod;1149161]fuelled by the mad rants of people like ChrisR stating that Coley should review his position if we fail to make the play-offs.

Well it seems I have rattled the cage of someone who has such a vast knowledge of football tactics that nobody else has a valid opinion.
I have said in the past I am not a Coleman/Bell hater I don't operate on those lines. I am aware of the restraints he has to work under as a manager. It may come as a shock to you that on and off the field business is part of the managers job. The first team must be the best we have had for a long time at Stanley. Most of the players are experienced in different leagues and should have the capability of contesting at the top. As for the people on here who think staying away from the club because they don't like the manager are not real fans. I understand that people think that staying in league 2 is an achievement is sad. we should all be pushing for a betterment of our position, Yes I have said that if we don't make the play offs with this squad then we have to ask serious questions of the managers capability in taking the club forward. As for missing directors and poor management in the club structure then become a shareholder and say your piece. I don't know of any business who have complained the club ignores them. I challenge you to name them on here and I personally will chase up the people responsible. I would look forward to see some more people attending the supporters club meeting, I am certainly not shy of expressing my opinion based on knowledge and facts. I will reiterate I have no time for those who are staying away from the club because they don't like the manager. I would suggest they are immature and happy to damage the club.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..