Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24   #1
God Member

Expectations

fuelled by the mad rants of people like ChrisR stating that Coley should review his position if we fail to make the play-offs I thought about what the average Joes expectation would be for us.

Personally, I am happy with constant improvement, both on and off the pitch. This club improved immeasurably on the pitch for 6 constant seasons between 2000 and 2006. Off the pitch we failed to keep up and have suffered for it since. For that reason I believe that the club itself has to improve beyond the team performance. However, our product is football and the product must be good ... the irony.

Tuesday night I stood away from the noise generally associated with the centre of the Clayton End. That central hub hides and protects the ears from the most abject and unrealistic drivel that I have ever heard. Should I ever have the misfortune to visit The Crown on a quiet night again, and the joint misfortune to not stand in the noisy midriff, then I will simply have to wear headphones or some other auralfaeces filter.

I'm all for people thinking they have the right to voice an opinion, but there was a group of cretins behind me who vocally bemoaned every single 'error'. Not once did I hear a positive comment, or praise for good play, no strains of encouragement.

"Get it bloody cleared" in response to a brief dilly dalliance
"who the bloody hell is that too?" in response to the requested 60 yard punt
"ye gods, what was that?" in response to an improvised up and under volleyed cross
".........." no response at all when said up and under landed plumb on Andy Procters head for a simple knock down to ....
"ay bloody Nora, I could have ..." when somebody failed to bury the knock down
"he's sh..eye..t" in response to Pierro failing to control a 70 yard pass and carry on sprinting
"where's he bloody going now" in response to Pierro brilliantly controlling a 70 yard pass whilst at full sprint and turning his man all in one salmonesque leap

I seriously wished that I had taken some kind of recording device and hung it around his neck. This kind of moronic drone could be a best selling Cd for imminent suicidists.

Like I said, I'm all for voicing opinions, but it's league 2 for Christ's sake. Should we ever sign Messi I would hope that he doesn't bother to learn English lest he have to suffer chastisement for winning the league on his own. cock
Old 03-09-2015, 09:56   #2
I am Banned

Re: Expectations

Well said, end of day with attendances and a budgets like ours were lucky to even be in league 2, yes there will be the odd mistake but we're not man city or Barcelona were gonna make mistakes, survival should be the only reasonable expectation, if we reach playoffs or promotion spots then it's an added bonus but people need to be happy with what they've got, they're lucky too have it
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15   #3
Junior Member+

I'd hardly say that there was a "mad rant", but looking at the squad Coleman has got this season and the quality they possess at this level, why are we not expecting that this team could make the play-offs? Let's be honest, Tuesday night was not a great performance, in fact it was awful at times. These so-called "cretins" were measuring our performance against a side who were a league 2 team last season and it cannot be denied that they were much better drilled than us, when they passed the ball there was always movement into another position to get the ball back. Whereas we would either get the ball, panic, then hoof it upfield in hope or we would pass and then there would be no movement and we would lose the ball within 2 or 3 passes.

The expectation that is held within all fans is that the players give their all and on Tuesday, this was not happening, bar a few exceptions. Therefore this "drivel" that was being given out by the fans was justified, there was praise at times but that performance did not deserve much praise. For example there was more than one occssion where a ball was being contested in the air and Sean McConville was jumping up in the air expecting to win the header a good 5 yards away from where it was being contested, is that supposed to be praised with "at least he went in for the challenge"? No it is not, the truth was he was being lazy and does not like getting into a challenge. I know we are only a league 2 side but it doesn't take much skill to go in for a challenge. It was only the JPT and maybe it was just a run out for the fringe players alongside some of the regulars, but surely they should have been contesting for a place in the first team.

As if anyone didn't already know, Stanley do not have a lot of money, but they do have a decent set of players for this level and they are professional footballers, so simple mistakes can be forgiven as a one-off but they are regular. The fans in the main stand do give praise but it can only be given when we do something right as I said earlier. The fans are entitled to their opinions and it's not unjust if they do want to bemoan a piece if play. However these complaints will be a lot less regular if Coleman and the players work hard to get some consistency for the league, which is what we all hope for and expect.
dantoro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantoro19 View Post
looking at the squad Coleman has got this season and the quality they possess at this level, why are we not expecting that this team could make the play-offs?
I'm sorry but I remain to be convinced about the supposed "quality". I see no reason whatsoever for believing that the "quality" of the current squad is good enough to make the play-offs. The supposed "quality" is, in any case, only relative to the quality of the other teams in League 2. I have a strong suspicion that in so many cases their squads will be stronger than ours - for obvious reasons.

I have seen only one game so far this season - the Hull game. We did so well in that game not because we matched Hull for quality but rather because we matched, even surpassed, them in effort and determination. Those are the main qualities that have kept us in the league for ten years - against all outside expectations.

My expectations? A simple hope that we are above the bottom two teams in the league at the end of the season and we can thus look forward to another season in the Football League.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I honestly think the squad is the best i have seen, also think they are good enough to achieve a play-off slot, but that all depends on being managed properly, plus a rub of the green, the same applies to quite a few Div2 sides i reckon, my expectations though are we will retain Div2 status, and to be frank that will do me very well.
Wynonie Harris, Redash and Chrisr like this.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:42   #6

I'd settle for around 14th however every year in the Football League is a bonus on Stanley's resources.
baldy likes this.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:48   #7

This is typical of most seasons, we have fans who start with high hopes and think we will be promotion candidates and others who would be glad to still be in the league. I tend to be more the latter. The reality is that we have little money and few fans and short of a miracle that won't change. Kids are more likely to follow European teams or premiership teams on tv rather than pay to watch us at one of the worst grounds in the league. We can complain about how we should be doing more to attract the younger generation but the truth is that tv on a vast scale and the number of other big clubs nearby makes it a hard task. We have to balance income against attracting more spectators because otherwise we could fo out of business again.

What is the solution? I don't know but given what the club has I think we are doing a decent job. There are a few things I could grumble about such as I'm sitting in a bar in Croatia wearing an old accy shirt because Dave sold the last one in my size minutes after we were talkingabout it but that's life. Like others Dave does the best he can with what he has and for that I am grateful. That is all I ask from those at the club.

Now, it's hot here so back to the beer and back to accy for the Exeter game followed by my first trip to crawley.
accybeme likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 13:05   #8
Senior Member+

as macca said (people have the right to voice an opinion) I'm just pleased they come to Stanley and voice their opinion, comments like (who the bloody hell is that too) are prevalent at most games in any league, I can see anything to be victimized for such comments get a life and be thankful for the support we do have,
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 13:12   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
There are a few things I could grumble about such as I'm sitting in a bar in Croatia wearing an old accy shirt because Dave sold the last one in my size minutes after we were talkingabout it but that's life.
You would have been sweating you're boobies off sat in the bar in the new one, it will keep
Wynonie Harris and Redash like this.
Old 03-09-2015, 13:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You would have been sweating you're boobies off sat in the bar in the new one, it will keep
Nah, we got air con and cold beer. Just have a double fb for the Exeter game then!!! B-)
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 18:50   #11
Senior Member+

As everyone knows, for us just to survive in this league is an achievement in itself. For me, I would take a nice comfortable mid-table finish every season for the next 40 years.

Whilst the off the field situation remains AN ABSOLUTE shambles, we simply cannot expect to even remotely start looking at the playoff's. Yes we had THE season when our old mates knocked us out in the semi's , but that really was an exceptional side, In my humble opinion we had the best keeper in the league at the time (Cisak) along with the best midfielder (Ryan) and a fantastic back 4. We where extremely lucky with suspensions and lack of injuries more or less ALL year..... so we mounted a challenge.

But our so called messiah has not helped himself whatsoever with a number of signings he has made, as well as his attitude towards a large number of supporters. Hence myself and a number of others are staying away from Home fixtures currently.

Until the off the field situation changes those that say playoff's or nothing really do need a reality check IMO!
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 20:16   #12
Senior Member+

Sigh!...Please explain what you mean by "AN ABSOLUTE shambles" also why cant we look at the play-offs? the playing side and business side is completely different!

Some people just love a moan, whether on here or at the game (Granted you pay your money) but if a player does something good in the 80th min who the fan has been dogging all game he will just say "Well thats his job"

Obviously as high as possible but realistically between 10-15th for me with a bit of a cup run to boost the coffers!
Red-Osbornello likes this.
Old 03-09-2015, 20:35   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Sigh!...Please explain what you mean by "AN ABSOLUTE shambles" also why cant we look at the play-offs? the playing side and business side is completely different!
He means he doesn't like the manager
Old 03-09-2015, 21:09   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Exactly.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 22:53   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Are you sure? He says it is a shambles OFF THE FIELD.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..