Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2017, 10:20   #46

Re: Lincoln's physical imps match thread

We can argue till the cows come home about which midfielder is better than another, or which formation is superior, but the real reason for our recent slide is obvious.
WE'RE NOT SCORING GOALS!
The reason Luton are top of the league is very simple - they score more goals than anyone else.
Goals win games & unless we rediscover our early season form in front of goal, I fear our slide will continue.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2017, 10:30   #47

Think you are right there Lord Stiff. When we started with Wilks, Kee, Jackson we seemed to look back to being a threat..... I'm also thinking we should get Nolan back in midfield to provide a bit more support to the front players.

We don't need loads of goals like Luton (and won't get them no matter who plays) but a goal per game more and we'd be promoted.
Chrisr likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:39   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Goals win games & unless we rediscover our early season form in front of goal, I fear our slide will continue.
actually how many blanks have we had this season. agree we looked a bit more of a treat earlier in the season when jackson was regularly scoring but do not think its start of a slide. exeter and lincoln away are hardly the two easiest away fixtures of the season.
AccyMad, yonmon and Lord Didsbury like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:38   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
actually how many blanks have we had this season. agree we looked a bit more of a treat earlier in the season when jackson was regularly scoring but do not think its start of a slide. exeter and lincoln away are hardly the two easiest away fixtures of the season.
agree they aint 2 easy fixtures, but end of the day our performance was not up to scratch, thats the biggest factor in my view.
Chrisr and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
Old 17-12-2017, 12:15   #50
God Member

four important games up next. end of the loan period for some players. lot of work for coley to do or decide over the next month or so. still think we should be o.k. by the end of the season if he gets things right.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 12:24   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
We can argue till the cows come home about which midfielder is better than another, or which formation is superior, but the real reason for our recent slide is obvious.
WE'RE NOT SCORING GOALS!
The reason Luton are top of the league is very simple - they score more goals than anyone else.
Lord S !...

I have, on more than one occasion quoted the great Sir Bobby Robson on this very matter.
He had a paradigm regarding 'Goals and the scoring of them ... it was simply this :-

SCORE GOALS REGULARLY AND CONSISTENTLY = PROMOTION.

FAIL TO SCORE GOALS = MID TABLE MEDIOCRITY AT THE BEST, RELEGATION MORE
THAN LIKELY !.

When GOALS ' dry-up ' where the Reds are concerned, this has in the past lasted for more than a few games unfortunately, and has been the subject of many posts on our Forum.
One can only hope that over the Christmas and New Year games that this trend doesn't rear it's ugly head once more !.
So a Christmas wish for our team is that they will see the ball nestling in their opponent's net over and over again !.

ps. What about that absolute Cad purporting to be a Lincoln City fan... is he a blot on the landscape or what ?.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 16:00   #52
Senior Member+

Jackson is a worry for me. Too much finger pointing at others and throwing his arms around yesterday and his work rate was mediocre.
Wilks did nothing when he came on other than to nearly hit the corner flag when he got a sight at goal.
Edwards can't even get on the bench.
Billy is Billy - what you see is what you get.
Another centre forward on loan please by creating a space or even a permanent signing.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Twenty Eight; 17-12-2017 at 16:01. Reason: Soelling
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 16:52   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to agree Wilks to me should be allowed back if his loans ended, Jackson for some reason is a different player to the early season one we had, whatevers different needs sorting pdq imho
Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
Old 17-12-2017, 17:55   #54

We've played 10 league & cup games since Jackson last scored.
That's 15 hours of football without a goal.
Way back on the 28th October, he scored the final goal in our 4-1 thrashing of Barnet.
In the same period Wilkes has scored twice - although mainly in the role of a substitute.
Old 17-12-2017, 18:52   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
We've played 10 league & cup games since Jackson last scored.
That's 15 hours of football without a goal.
Way back on the 28th October, he scored the final goal in our 4-1 thrashing of Barnet.
In the same period Wilkes has scored twice - although mainly in the role of a substitute.
Its jacksons actions on the pitch concerning me now.for once i agree with twenty eight.
Old 17-12-2017, 20:28   #56
Full Member+

Is Jackson 100% fit or is he still carrying an injury, or is Jackson just being Jackson, and that's why he's at Accy
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 20:59   #57
Full Member+

I have been a little underwhelmed by some of our strikers performances. The midfield was average for some time now. I too noticed Edwards can't even get on the bench for whatever reason. If he is just short of match practice then he needs to be put on for a run of games. He was a decent striker and I don't believe he suddenly became bad. Jackson came and scored for fun but that has stopped. Wilks in my mind is too easily pushed off the ball and is not much of a threat as he should be. Coley needs to sort the team out. I know Exeter and Lincoln are not the easiest places to go but from what I have seen they are not a patch on us at our best. Why do we let teams drag us down? whatever the management team have to get the team winning again and quick. As some of the loan players are due to be returned to their club I would be annoyed if I was a good player who only kept the bench warm. We should have a rotation system to keep players sharp, I know coley does not want to change a winning team. but we are not winning and some of the bench players are getting rusty as they are not playing enough first team football. Lets see what the new year brings.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 23:25   #58

Perhaps it's no coincidence that our goal-drought has coincided with the loss of some of most creative players due to injury.
Sousa, McCleod & Clark, all skilful wingers capable of getting behind defences & putting balls into the box, have all been absent recently.
I must agree with Lord D about Nolan. Earlier this season he was consistently our most creative & quick thinking midfielder. Why the sudden fall from grace?
The last time Edwards played (against Wigan) he scored, along with Sousa (2) & McCleod (1). With Jackson misfiring, surely it's time to give the lad another chance.
Let's hope Sousa & McCleod recover quickly, so we can get back to the simple, effective wing-play that proved so successful against the better teams we played in the pre-season friendlies.
cashman, yonmon and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-12-2017, 08:13   #59

Did a blog of Saturday's game, and yes I'm an Imp. We did knock you about but were well on top before the penalty with a goal-line clearance and good keeping.

https://stickypalms.blogspot.co.uk/2...n-stanley.html

Good luck for the rest of the season

Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 09:42   #60

Rawson's red card has been appealed?

Anyone care to guess the outcome?

Having seen it on my telly rather than my phone I think there is a small tug of the shirt, but in no way would that have prevented their forward getting to the ball before Chappers.

Does that put him in the clear?

should it actually matter whether Chappers got their first? Presumably at the time of the incident the outcome might have been unknown. Should Rawson be judged on what he did and what he knew at the time or what happened in the end?

M'lud.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..