Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2005, 08:47   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Live stanley updates on 107 The Bee

Quote:
Lots of work from Paul Mullin in defence in the second half with a good number of headed clearances from him.
What does this tell you? Stanley two up against a team from a lower division, against a team that had only won one game this season, against a team that had only scored eight goals in eleven league games yet can score four in two games against Stanley.
We had a left back (Richardson) playing at right back, we had a right back (Ventre) playing at centre half, we had a centre half (Flynn) on the bench and we haven't got a goalkeeper. We have a left winger (Roberts) who was never on the left wing, despite Cooky shouting at him on many occasions to "get on the wing" and a striker(Mullin) doing lots of work in the defence. Another chance of making some much needed cash thrown away, last season Leigh RMI had only won one game when they knocked us out of the cup, and now Worcester, who have only won one game, have knocked us out of the cup. In seventeen games this season (14 league, 1 LDV, 2 FA Cup) we have conceded 28 goals. As far as I am concerned this is ridiculous. Coley keeps tinkering with the defence, hardly two games go by that we have the same defence. This is a problem that we have had for a long time, NO LEADER, every man for himself. If we don't get this sorted soon it's going to be along, hard season. We have a goalkeeping coach yet no goalkeeper for him to coach. Dibble cost us two goals at Stevenage, Rocky's own goal as he was well off his line, a shot from Boyd that he didn't hold on to and Nurse slotted it in, he cost us two goals last night, the first headed over him because he was not on his line, and the third when he didn't hold on to Preece's free kick and a Worcester player was there to slot it in. I am sure that most managers will make sure that the spine of the team is strong - goalkeeper, centre half, centre forward. We have no goalkeeper and the centre half is changed nearly every game. As I said before ridiculous. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2005, 09:04   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
yeah but i didnt get chance to listen to the radio as i was working so i have just come on here and once again we get all the stanley fans who do not travel to the away games making comments from one source! with one point of view, yeah im absolutely gutted that we are out of the cup but come on we are 4th having only lost 4 games so far in the league but yet we still whinge! Lets all get behind the lads on saturday and we could easily be 2nd by sunday.
got to agree with you mate Two wins in the next two games moaning over...

Last edited by zayno14; 25-10-2005 at 09:10.
zayno14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 09:50   #48
God Member

I was there last night and unfortunately have to agree with Dan that Worcester deserved their win - we were playing well and were on top at 2 nil up but once they got 1 back they were a different team. John Coleman's decision to play 4-5-1 with Mully up front on his own just wasn't gonna work against a team with as stong a defence as Worcester have. Apparently he wouldn't even talk to the press after the match, just sent someone to say he had no comment. The lads were gutted and Ian Craney apologised to some of us on the way out of the ground.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 11:38   #49
Senior Member+

never thought a coley side would have so little fight in a cup tie, gutted, gutted, gutted but....
its been coming lucky against canvey and alty, lost a 2-0 lead at scarbrough, flat against gravesend, i could go on! the keeper situation is embaressing, sorry to say it but think dibbles lack of mobility cost us the game!

we have everything in place to push on but unfortunately coley, jimmy and cooky need to get a balance
settled side with a settled look and a pattern of play that is less predictable. the whole team play is geared to mullers playin out of his skin and he looks tired

the most guttedi have ever been in coleys times, worse than leigh last year!!!!!!

need a win saturday to restore the faith......

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 13:16   #50
Junior Member+

Have to agree with Willie Miller - speaking as a travelling fan last night was a complete shambles and a definite low point- a complete contrast to last Tuesday, when we left rotherham's ground with our heads held high and full of pride in our team. How can they be so inconsistent? Yes, we would probably swap both cup runs for 6 points from next 2 games, but will we get them?
pilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 13:26   #51
God Member

yes i honestly think we will, ok our cup form has been crap to say the least but we have only lost 4 in the league with three of them being away from home, so against york i think we will beat them and then i think we are capable of beating grays
Old 25-10-2005, 13:44   #52
Senior Member+

Anyone that didn't travel will be able to be calm & collective

I was stood in the shed, with the Worcester fans while they scored four goals, it was pouring down so it was either get soaked or be embaressed

I chose embarressed....

Gutted

Gutted

Gutted

If we had gone & lost, fair play to Worcester! But to go 2-0 & not be professional enough to kill the game. To look unfit compared to Worcester, to have a worse keeper than Worcester who was shocking in the second half! To see midfielders walking about while Worcester fought for the ball

Aaaaaargh!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 13:52   #53
Senior Member+

OK this is probably where I get crucified but do you think JC has taken us as far as he is capable and its time for someone who can take that extra step?
Sometimes a manager needs to be replaced if he is not achieving what he is supposed too or maybe his backroom staff are where the problem lies. We have been in the conference long enough now to know which teams will always be there and which teams will always have a push for promotion, we are defiantly in the last group we have internationals, we have a go ahead Chairman,we have a core support and above all we are full time so you have to start at the top, I know if I haven't performed up to my capabilities and basically lost the company 10 grand then my Chairman would have me over the coals and my job would be on the line.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:02   #54
Resting In Peace

Quote:
OK this is probably where I get crucified but do you think JC has taken us as far as he is capable and its time for someone who can take that extra step?
JC seems to concentrate on midfielders, we must have the most midfielders in the Conference. If he concentrated on what is, and has been wrong for the last few seasons then we may have a chance of promotion. Last season we had the debacle of no goalkeeper, this season is the same. The goalkeeper is one of the most important positions in the team, yet we haven't got one. The defence is, and has been for ages crap. if you dont concede goals you don't lose matches. I am not saying play defensively, all I am saying is play the way we are from midfield and up front but TIGHTEN UP THE DEFENCE. If Coley doesn't address this situation and get it sorted out we will have no chance of promotion, then Bazf, I am sorry to say but I will be supporting you with the thoughts that it is about time for a change of ideas and maybe management.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:07   #55
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller
Anyone that didn't travel will be able to be calm & collective

I was stood in the shed, with the Worcester fans while they scored four goals, it was pouring down so it was either get soaked or be embaressed

I chose embarressed....

Gutted

Gutted

Gutted

If we had gone & lost, fair play to Worcester! But to go 2-0 & not be professional enough to kill the game. To look unfit compared to Worcester, to have a worse keeper than Worcester who was shocking in the second half! To see midfielders walking about while Worcester fought for the ball

Aaaaaargh!
If I'd been a travelling Accrington fan last night I'd have been gutted too. Not many City fans expected anything out of the game, after all, we havent actually been able to win games or score goals all season, and I was thinking before the game that our best bet would be to hang on for penalties. At 2-0 down I was hoping at least for a chance of keeping a bit of dignity by letting in less than 6!!

The one thing which really surprised me was the apparent lack of fitness of your players, having seen Rushden play us into the ground a few years back with their supreme fitness, I know what a difference being full time athletes should have made.

Regarding the keepers, apart from one save in each half, Dibble was truly awful. Standing behind the goal you could see that the defence had little confidence in him, and if you download this video of our first goal you'll see the perfect example of a keeper caught in no-mans land.
http://www.acs1951.co.uk/accrington.htm

By contrast Worcester are lucky to have a keeper like Dany McDonnell. He's probably worth 10/15 points a season to us, and most City fans have no idea what he's doing playing at our level when he really could have made it in the Championship if not the Premiership - certainly better than that first keeper at Crystal Palace last year, Spironi or whatever his name was!

I just wish we could battle like we did last night week in and week out in the league, I don't know why we save it for the cup games.

Hope you had a safe journey back home, nice club, good fans, who deserve success.
Brooksider_wcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:41   #56

The goalkeeper thing needs sorting NOW. We persevered with Crichton too long last season and it cost us dear -- at least 10 points. I haven't seen Dibble play because all his games have been away so far, but what I hear certainly doesn't inspire confidence. The lad from Charlton is OK, but has a lot to learn yet. We need strengthening in this position immediately.
SimonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:41   #57
Full Member+

Thanks for the video link, that first goal was a shocking error from Dibble. There were two defenders there to deal with that long-ball and it was no nearer than the penalty spot, so there is no reason at all for Dibble to try and intercept it. According to the radio reports, the game turned on this incident.

Like Jeff, I can't believe we have so many midfielders and such an unsettled defence. Coley's policy of depending on loan signings has come back to haunt us in this match with three players not allowed to play because of their club's insistence that they are not cup-tied.

I also think that despite scoring a lot of goals this season, we have very few options up front. Without Mullin on Saturday, both Brown and Mangan, especially, were easily forced off the ball and that leaves Craney and a bit of wizardry from Roberts or, less likely, Boco to create chances. If one of those joins our ever-growing injury list, I fear for our scoring ability as Mullin can't hit the proverbial barn door at the moment. And what were our attacking options yesterday? Coley on the bench!

I agree with Jase in that our league position is rather better than what we have deserved given our standard of play.

We may raise our game from the Stevenage/Worcester debacles and keep our position in the playoff places, but this FA Cup loss is a major problem in term of finances. Not really the prize money, but the lack of glamour ties for the rest of the season for the very occasional Stanley attender. Two years ago was a great adventure and the crowds were big not just for FA Cup games but for the leagues games as well as there was a buzz about the club that 'league position' does not create until the last month or so of the campaign. With the winter weather now arrived and no Clayton End Roof to offer added shelter, there is a lot to be worried about at the moment.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:47   #58
Junior Member+

If you are of the opinion that our 'keeper Danny McDonnell had a significant influence on this round of the FA Cup by his performance on Saturday, there is an opportunity to vote for him amongst the five short-listed candidates for 'Player of the Round' at

www.thefa.com

He is currently running second to a Woking striker, who scored at home to lower league Thurrock.

I'm not trying to drum up 'block votes' - your fans are knowledgeable enough to be able to form your own opinions.
Andy Bullock (Wor) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 15:59   #59

Unhappy Re: Live stanley updates on 107 The Bee

I still retain faith in the manager but he makes it hard work to take that view. Some of his team selections and substitutions defy any sort of logic whatsoever. There seems also to be, at times, no clarity of purpose or vision.....Why did he get the team performing so well at Rotherham midweek in the poxy LDV Vans competition attarcting a shed-load of praise from all quarters then `motivate` them to such dire performances in the important FA Cup ties just a few days later? Even George Bush, the thickest plank on the planet, might have worked out which of the two matches was all-important and could have brought much-needed finances to the club. So Coley puts everything into the worthless, ill-attended, LDV game and neglects the cup tie. A look at the League table shows, that despite our high position, we are shipping far too many goals yet again. Think we need a good, steady PERMANENT, 'keeper, Mr C. - you bet! For two seasons now you've chanced your arm and failed to fill this critical position in the team. A couple of centre halves were signed - one's never played through injury and others rarely because Williams is `teacher's pet`. If the bloke was deceased he'd be nailed to his coffin lid and put out on the pitch as one of our centre backs! I could go on but what's the point, no one's listening as usual.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 16:12   #60
Junior Member+

Woooow hang on a minute, let's look at some positives here...

We'd rather lose a cup game than a league game. Agreed?

Dibble was at fault for 2 goals, but we should have Randolph back soon.

We scored 2 goals (and one from a defender!), so technically the score should have been 2-1 to Stanley!

Now I know football doesn't necessarily work like that, but come on everyone-it's practically an unwritten rule that sides who don't play well in the league do play well in the cup, and sides who are playing someone from a higher division have always got that extra determination, just like we did at Rotherham. It's not the end of the world. Let's get behind the lads on Saturday-we need a win!
Distracted is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..