Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2009, 18:39   #1
God Member

Moments of the Decade

As it says on the tin. Nicked from another forum, but I think our fans have more to shout about from this decade than most! The inclusions of the promotions, the cups and the appearance of Ilyas & Peter in that court room are pretty much taken as given.

What were your top five moments of the decade as a Stanley fan?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2009, 19:07   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Moments of the Decade

the main one fer me was stanley returning to the league, which fer me as a founder member is where they belong,after 62 never thought i would live to see the day, the others are more recent "Ilyas n Peter", the way the players responded through the darkest days, the incredible job coley n jimmy performed to get those players/ performances.
Old 18-12-2009, 19:10   #3
Senior Member+

1. Letting the Gouck out on TV
2. Aldershot when we won 4-1 on a Tuesday, a legendary night including gate crashing the players lounge & being turned down for more lager at ASda!!!
3. Live on Sky at Grays, fantastic day with all the world watching, flags, streamers, whistles... tremendous stuff
4. QPR this year, anyone who went will know why. Home fans never give the away team a round of applause afterwards
5. Aldershot first game in Conf, huge ground, huge anticipation then bang, Proccy! Legendary, ace following, ace noise, again Shots fans moved round to thank us for the effort from the terrace..

I could go on on on on on & probs more missed in a happy haze of drunkenness..... Canvey & Forest Green away, Halifax streamers first time, Morecambe on Sky with 3000 on the gate, Witton Albion away the best ever 0-0 draw, Radcliffe Borough with 3 pitch invasions, Bournemouth with 700 away & fans flying to the game!, open top bus tour round Accy, etc etc

I have seen MOST games home & away for the last 10 years & I reckon not many fans will have had a better 10 years... Long may it continue

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 19:36   #4
Senior Member+

A few things stand out in my mind from games in the last 10 years:

Firstly, Rory Prendergasts little piroette (sp) during his penalty run up against Bournemouth in the FA Cup replay, made me even more nervous than I thought I already was!!! I still can't help thinging what a tool he'd have looked if he'd have missed!!!!

Secondly, hearing the roar go up when Andy Gouck scored THAT goal against Huddersfield and wondering to myself why on earth I was playing footy on the old Accs pitches next door instead of being at the game!!!

Thirdly, Steve Jagielka's screaming volley against Halifax at the Shay, in the live sky game. I was stewarding in front of the Halifax fans when that happened and I had to hide every bit of emotion for fear of getting decked!!!

Fourth would be stood on the Crown pitch when the Conference trophy was presented and getting photos of some rather elated if rather tipsy players!!!

Fifth, the fancy dress outing to Christie Park, laughing at certain players on both teams doing a double take at being photographed by a bright green leprechaun!!!!! And the constant noise we made that night and not just from the ultras )
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 20:47   #5

Slightly off the beaten track and I almost, in a moment that was pure football, included Kenny Arthur against Wycombe in his first match for us but, in no particular order.

1) When big frank implored the crowd to give it up for the 'little maestro' Mike Marsh – the culmination of one beautiful season that let us know how good we should be.
2) Jonny Smith running around with concussion at hyde utd, not for the amusement (of which, lets be honest, there was some with his bambi esque legs flapping around as he galloped hither and thither) but much more for the commitment and heart the lad showed to this team of ours.
3) The whole team wearing Anthony Cavanagh t-shirts as they were given the conference trophy. It was a poignant moment that showed how tight the band of brothers were and that from such personal tragedy triumph could emerge for our then club captain. That such a thing is overlooked for the sake of a misplaced fiver does no justice to Peter.
4)Rommy Boco scores in the league, our first in 44 years.
5)Sitting on a boat in Lake Windermere, why? Just found out by text that our winding up had been postponed. The RAF flew overhead about 30 minutes later and I like to think it was a celebratory fly past…
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 22:32   #6

Re: point no 3 from Bunter wasn't that Droysleden not Hyde?
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 22:53   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
Re: point no 3 from Bunter wasn't that Droysleden not Hyde?
wasn't that point no 2 yer on about?
Old 19-12-2009, 02:46   #8
Senior Member+

have loads myself however two names..............mullers and the gouck....and overidinging anything coley and jimmy 2 absolute legends
Old 19-12-2009, 03:21   #9
God Member

Good thread this... I have one that means little to you people,but so much too me,and that is about 5 years ago when I discovered the clubs' demise I'ld read about as a kid in a magazine (Football Monthly),back in the 60s, was still in existence-and going quite well thank-you. That was magic. A boys dream had come true. I was just so annoyed I hadn't known earlier.
On the field side of things, when we beat Torquay 1-0 which secured our spot for another season, and what those two magnificent men , messers Khan and Marsden did for ASFC and its family.
Very special.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 11:13   #10

Gatecrashing stanley dressing room at rochdale and singing with the players.!

Last edited by sausage butty; 19-12-2009 at 11:17.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 15:57   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage butty View Post
Gatecrashing stanley dressing room at rochdale and singing with the players.!
Seeing Bavs naked is a highlight? you dirty perv!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 16:13   #12
Senior Member+

Being at woking!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 16:18   #13
Senior Member+

The half-time interval at Bournemouth.
Watford.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 17:21   #14
Senior Member+

1. The whole of the conference winning season.
2. Welch's goal away at Stockport County. Probably the best goal ive ever seen Live.
3. The whole performance against Cheltenham at home this season. Simply a joy to watch.
4. Goucks winner v Huddersfield in FA CUP.
5. My 1st ever away game, Colwyn Bay August 96. After then i knew i was hooked on the stanley
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 17:22   #15
Super Moderator

1) York away 2005/06. We'd been beaten a few days before by Southport and some were saying that the wheel was coming off our promotion bandwagon. 2-1 down at HT and the dream seemed to be fading. Then we turned it round for a glorious 4-2 victory, while news was coming through of a Hereford defeat. I remember walking out of the ground, down past York Minster, just knowing in my heart that we were on our way back to the football league.
2) Watching a Bournemouth penalty taker arc the ball high into the air and into the long grass at the back of the Clayton End car park. Cue - mass rejoicing, as we were through to the next round of the FA Cup.
3) Sitting at my desk on a dark afternoon, worrying about what was going on at a certain bankruptcy court on London. Then seeing Ilyas's message on here, looking forward to the following Saturday's FA cup match. Saved!
4) Bury away in the first season back - at least 800 Stanley fans there in the pubs, round the ground, everywhere. It really did feel like we'd taken over.
5) Going for pre-match drinks at Notts Co and discovering that "Hooters" had nothing to do with owls.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..