Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2004, 14:20   #1
Resting In Peace

Our Defence - Or Lack Of It

Stevenage 5 Stanley 0

I Rest My Case
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2004, 15:05   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Our Defence - Or Lack Of It

Stanley 3-1 Burton................Morecambe 1-2 Stanley

Both games our defence was excellent.....3 games into the season and weve picked up 6 points. Before we started this season, the opening three games I would of taken 5 points (1 home win and 2 away draws) weve come away with 6 points which is very respectable (2 wins and a defeat).....If anyone said to me we were going to get 6 points from our opening 3 games I would of taken that with no problem and I think most people on here would of too.......

Yes JEFF the defence were very very poor yesterday but you have to take into consideration that the previous 2 games our defence was superb! both at home VS Burton and away VS Morecambe........just because of one terrible game you can't start callling for the defence to be changed straight away...its a defence which is capable of being solid and gelling very well together. The performance at Stevenage yes, was a disaster but you can't call for their heads now.........3 games into our season.

As I have said before Keep the faith and lets encourage our boys and cheer them on to victory against Crawley Town on Saturday........

Come on You Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 15:24   #3

I think Everyone had a stinker yesterday, the defence cant be held responsible for it all.. I did however feel Bimson had a particularly poor match.. after his performance against Morecambe I didnt expect that.

The only player I felt had a bit of spark yesterday was Craney.. He's going to be a star.

That said, We should be raising morale, not condemning the season already.

Up The Reds!!
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 18:37   #4
God Member

Yes but as we all know this is Jeff's favourite subject, after all his standard post on here is 'if we had a defence we'd be dangerous', I'm surprised he didn't quote it in this post - he usually does, even when we haven't lost!!
It's no use turning on the lads for one bad performance, as others have said let's put it behind us & I'm sure the lads'll do the same on Saturday.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 20:29   #5
Senior Member+

To be fair, neither Morecambe or Burton had a potent strike force and both sides were very poor, as subsequent results have shown.
Old 22-08-2004, 21:22   #6
Senior Member+

true but theyve only played 3 games.......
Old 22-08-2004, 21:51   #7

I suppose that can be said.. however the way we played at Morecambe, and the way we played at Stevenage were so far apart that I believe it had nothing to do with the "quality" of the opposition.
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 08:30   #8
Resting In Peace

If it had nothing to do with the "quality" of the opposition, what do you think was wrong. I hope it wasn't too many late nights. It was a terrible performance from the whole team. We were saying that we had a good performance against Morecambe and that they were a good home team, hard to beat, yet on Saturday they got beat 3-1 at home by Gravesend. As you know it is my favourite moan about the defence, a subject which I have been going on about for a couple of years not just after the performance on Saturday. Until we get this sorted out I don't think we have a chance of winning anything.
Old 23-08-2004, 08:53   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
Until we get this sorted out I don't think we have a chance of winning anything.
Oh the optimism........................
Old 23-08-2004, 09:37   #10
Resting In Peace

Oh to be realistic
Old 23-08-2004, 09:41   #11
Senior Member+

Oh stop moaning JEFF thats all you do......how about encouraging the lads instead of jumping on their backs everytime they make a mistake.
Old 23-08-2004, 10:33   #12

the defence and the whole team were poor......this was a blip...the annual 5-0 defeat before stanley go on to bigger and better things.
6 points from 3 games is very good lets not knock it
come on stanley
glosterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 10:46   #13
Resting In Peace

Smiffy - I encourage the lads every game that they play and I am not getting on their backs. I have not singled out any player and called him any names. I just think that we need to tighten up the defence. If you cannot see that then you must be blind or not watching the same game that I am. This annual 5 goal beating. We lost 5 goals at Gateshead with 10 men, an own goal, and two goalkeeping blunders. We lost 5 goals to Telford with a defensive mix up, and three goalkeeping blunders. There were no reasons last Saturday except that we were not good enough. If you think that last Saturday's performance was acceptable and promotion standard then you should get real and stop living in a dream world. Remember the team are full-time now, football is their job. If I had performed at work the way they performed on Saturday I am sure that I would be on a warning by now. They did not do their jobs to the best of their ability.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:06   #14
Senior Member+

Yeh i agree, but the team not only defensively were awful on Saturday.....but what i'm saying is everytime stanley play you seem to critisce the defence even when we win games.......not only the defence was poor on Saturday the WHOLE team was.....the same thing happened when you looked back to Gateshead and Telfrod...I was at both of those games and I was there on Saturday and as I say it wasnt just the defnce which was poor......this same thing happenned in the 2 games last season and the "championship" winning season and it wasnt just the defence in both of those 2 games....when the whole team perform poor we leak goals.....

Lets just hope the team dont perform like the 3 games we've pointed out and play like the Accrington Stanley we know!.......

Come on Reds do us proud and give us victory on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23-08-2004, 11:17   #15
Resting In Peace

I agree with what you say, at the end of the day we all want what is best for Stanley, we are all on the same side, but we see things differently. I am sorry if you think I am moaning after every game but clean sheets win leagues and we don't keep many, so basically we have to score at least two goals to have a chance of winning. We strengthen the midfield, we strengthen the forwards but we do not seem to strengthen the defence. Get a tight organised defence and we could be going somewhere, surely you must agree.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..